Monday, August 21, 2006

Nuts


I have four socks on the go, all ready for heels, and I don't feel like doing them. I don't feel like working on the Swallowtail shawl. I don't feel like working on any of the various sweaters that are just sitting there waiting. I am fighting the urge to cast on even more projects. More socks. An afghan. I *must* cast on. Anything.



I lost the battle.


Another fun pattern from those clever Fiber Trends people, this one is No. FT-229, Nuts about Squirrels. He's cute, eh! Lots of fun to knit too. Do I need a felted squirrel? No. Have I forgiven all those rotten little rodents for digging up my tulips last year? No. But this squirrel, I like. As long as he stays out of my garden, that is.


I figgured that since I had a new toy, Tidget needed one too, so I made this:


It's the Catnip Mouse, pattern courtesy of Wendy. I filled it with the catnip that Abigail so kindly sent me as part of my package for Mama E's newest Big Adventure, Pay It Forward.

Do you think Tidget likes it?

I think she's gone nuts too.

In the Other News Department, I decided not to do an Amazing Lace Challenge No. 5, the Unlikely Model, because, well, I sort of think I already did it. I have no visible progress to report there, so no pics, sorry.

In the More Other News Department, it's great to see garterlac dishcloths popping up everywhere. I am pleased to report that Stacy very kindly formatted the pattern into a PDF and Sarah has very kindly agreed to host it on her site. You can get it here and I'll update the sidebar to include that link. While you're at Sarah's blog, check out the cool garterlac bathmat that she made -- and she provided the pattern for it! Thanks so much, Stacy and Sarah!

35 people had something to say:

Anonymous said...

So I guess you could say the urge to cast on is making you squirrelly, eh? (Sorry, couldn't resist). Cute little fella. The squirrel, that is. *blush* I'll just shutup now.

Anonymous said...

that squirrel is WAY cute!
there. i said "squirrel" without saying "damn" first!
dave, you constantly inspire me to be better . . .

Sayward said...

I just posted about a wonderful Fiber Trends pattern at my blog and now it looks like I'm going to have to spend some time browsing their site and snagging more.

Great Squirrel!

Tidget looks delighted with his toy.

FrozenExtremities said...

What a great squirrel, too cute!

I can sympathise with the casting on something new. I keep starting socks to procrastinate on dad's holiday sweater!

Anonymous said...

Great Squirrel and great kitty pics! I think a lot of people are in transition with their projects at this time of year.

Anonymous said...

I am not a fan of felted animals but I'm sorry, that squirrel is freaking cute. Shoot. Nice work! And thanks for the shout-out!

ax174 said...

Just downloaded the garterlac file - thanks so much for the pattern! That fat squirrel is perfect. I'm thinking I need one too. Were there lots of seams?

Anonymous said...

I love that squirrel!! I am definitely making one, he is the cutest thing ever. Maybe you can out him in your garden like a scarecrow to keep the other smaller squirrels away.

Karen said...

I'm nuts about that squirrel too!! Maybe he can convince the other squirrels in the neighborhood to leave your garden alone. Who could say no to a face like that??

Will Pillage For Yarn said...

I love the squirrel!!! I think I might have to make one. And anyway, I'm a big Foamy/Pillz fan, so I *really* needs me a felted squirrel.

sheep#100 said...

Hey, the squirrel is really cute.

What's with drugging the cat, eh?

:o)

lexa said...

I love your squirrel! Your kitty is precious, too!

Unknown said...

I understand about the wanting to cast on with a ton of projects in tow. been there, done that. continue to do it too.
The little squirrel is adorable! The cat toy is nice too (nope not a cat person)
On the other objects? well... persevere and as they say in the south "getter done!"
Talk to you soon!

Unknown said...

Ummmm misspelled that.. it should be "git-er done"

Anonymous said...

love the garterlac pattern... I just finished one!

Carrie K said...

Darn! What Paula said. If only I'd thought of it (and not just first, but at all).

Know what's also great for the casting on urge? Garterlac dishcloths! I've made two. So far. My other UFO's remain U'd.

Anonymous said...

Upon seeing your squirrel I produced a sound that only dogs can hear. That's pretty darn cute.

HPNY KNITS said...

the cat looks high as a kite... the squirrel will make great garden keeper-he'll chase away the others!
sometimes, you just have to have fun.
:-)

BEESTLYproducts said...

The squirrel is absolutely adorable!!! i love it!!!

Paisley said...

I'm with everyone else - definitely a very cute squirrel.
I understand the urge to be constantly casting on... but what's wrong with turning heels? I'm usually glad to get to that point because leg knitting can get pretty monotonous.

Stacy said...

You're very welcome!

The squirrel is adorable. If only I could fondle wool without breaking out. :)

CelticCastOn said...

awww miseour squirrelly is tooo cute! Tidget's in happy land right now :)

Wendy Merganser said...

Awesome squirrel! That's way more fun than sock heels.

That's what I love about cats - they can put themselves in the most undignified positions, then a minute later, they're calm and composed as if nothing happened.
:-)

aija said...

kitty looks SO content in that last picture :)

i've dug the koalas and the llamas from ft, didn't know they had squirrels too :)

Valerie Polichar said...

I am persuaded there is something contagious about you, Dave.

First it was the dishcloth.

Now you've got me going off to twoswansyarn.com and ordering the pattern for the squirrel.

But. I mean. So darn cute!

Nora said...

I agree with Valerie (above) - what IS it about u? I'll figure it out as I knit my dishcloth ('coz I really need a knitted GARTERLAC dishcloth)! x

earthchick said...

Oh my, I love the squirrel! Too cute!

And I think it would've been nearly impossible for you to top your bikini model photo for the final challenge. Still one of my all-time favorite knit pics!

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling. I like knitting heals, but now I have decided to knit one of those strange "foreign" heals and that made me just start another project instead.
Greetings from Sweden.

Leanne said...

The squirrel is awfully cute. As is kitty!

I too had planned to use the garterlac pattern to make a bathmat. I just haven't gotten to it yet. Looks like someone beat me to it :-)

Sarah said...

Love love love the squirrel. Definitely the only squirrel I'd want in my house.

newamy said...

A few weeks ago I saw a link to your blog for those dishcloths, so I made one. It was easier than it looks. I like it. I will make more when I'm done with three other projects, maybe. Thanks for the bath mat link, I might make that now. Too many ideas.

Amy

limedragon :-: Harriet said...

Both the squirrel and Tidget are so cute!

Anonymous said...

OK. That squirrel has to be the cutest knitted thing I have ever seen.

I like that Tidget and her mouse match.

Turtle Runner said...

Hmmmmm....I wonder if a KNITTED squirrel will keep the REAL squirrels out of my flowers?!?!

Probably not, but this would be a great project if I believed in voodoo, then I could knit a voodoo squirrel doll, and make them want to stay out of my iris bulbs!

Anonymous said...

That squirrel is so cute! Love the kitty pictures, too. Think I am down to three socks