Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Versailles Bookmark

Books make great gifts, but I like to personalize them a bit by including a handmade bookmark. Here's one I recently finished.

There are many very nice bookmark patterns already on the net, but I haven't yet found one that has lace patterning on both sides, so I thought I'd put this up here. It's a quick and easy way to introduce yourself to this type of knitting.
I apologize for the crappy pictures. I had to use the flash to get something without shadows, and the colour red continues to confound my cheap little Radio Shack camera.
This bookmark is knit length-ways and is self-fringing. The pattern kind of looks like leaves and kind of looks like rectangles, depending on your mood, I guess.


(Edit December 28, 2011:  Blogger has apparently decided that all my nicely numbered rows should actually appear as bullet points instead.  Blech.  There's a properly formatted copy of this pattern available for free on Ravelry.  I would recommend you download that instead.)

Versailles Bookmark (Versailles Pattern is from Barbara Walker's Second Treasury.)
Materials: I used Opera No. 20 Crochet Cotton and 1.75 mm needles. You can use whatever you want as long as the solid parts look kinda solid and the holes look kinda holey.
Using a provisional cast-on (this one works wonderfully!), cast on 68 stitches.
Set up row: K 7, place marker, K 54, place marker, K 7.

  1. (RS) K 4, P 1 TBL, K 2, knit across to second marker, K 2, P 1 TBL, K 4.
  2. (WS) K 4, K1 TBL, K2, knit across to second marker, K2, K1 TBL, K4.
Repeat R1, R2, then R1 - 6 rows in total, including the set-up row.
The outermost seven stitches on each end are border stitches and the portion between the markers will be knit in pattern. The format is four garter stitches, 1 reverse stockingnette twisted on every row, two garter stitches, marker, pattern, marker, 2 garter stitches, 1 reverse stockingette twisted on every row, four garter stitches. The reverse twisted stockinette stitches are important -- don't forget them.
The lace pattern is irregular. Don't bother trying to put markers between the repeats, because it won't work. When you reach the second marker, sometimes you'll be able to do a full repeat, but sometimes you'll have extra stitches left over or not enough for a full repeat. Just end before the second marker with the stitches indicated after the word "end".
There are a lot of P2tog-TBLs in here. I hate those. Instead, I used "Purl 1 and slip it back to the left needle, lift the second stitch on the left needle over the stitch just purled and off the needle, slip the stitch back to the right needle." If you wish, you can do that too, and I won't tell anyone.
Keeping the border in pattern, knit the lace between the markers.
  1. (WS) Purl.
  2. K2 * YO, SSK, K8 * end K2
  3. K2 *YO, P2tog, P5, P2tog-TBL, YO, P1 * end K2
  4. K4 * YO, SSK, K3, K2tog, YO, K3 *
  5. K2, P2 * YO, P2tog, P1, P2tog-TBL, YO, P5 * end P3, K2
  6. K6 * YO, Sl1-K2tog-PSSO, YO, K7 * end K5
  7. K2 * P3, P2tog-TBL, YO * end K2
  8. K3 * YO, SSK, K3 * end K1
  9. K2, P1 * P2tog-TBL, YO, P3 * end P2, K2
  10. K5 * YO, SSK, K3 * end K2
  11. K1 * P2tog-TBL, YO, P3 * end P1, K2
  12. K2 * YO, SSK, K3 * end K2
  13. Same as Row 3
  14. Same as Row 4
  15. Same as Row 5
  16. Same as Row 6
  17. K2, P1 * P3, YO, P2tog * end K1
  18. K5 * K2tog, YO, K3 * end K2
  19. K2, P1 *YO, P2tog, P3 * end P2, K2
  20. K3 * K2tog, YO, K3 * end K1
  21. K2 * P3, YO, P2tog * end K2
  22. K1 * K2tog, YO, K3 * end K3
  23. Same as Row 3
  24. Same as Row 4
  25. Same as Row 5
  26. Same as Row 6
  27. Purl.
Starting with a RS row, knit six rows of garter stitch as at the beginning, keeping the border stitches in pattern.
Binding off, RS facing: K 4, P1-TBL, K1, * replace the last two stitches onto the left needle and knit them together through back loop, K1 * repeat until you reach the second reverse twisted stockingnette, P1-TBL, replace the last two stitches onto the left needle and knit them together through back loop. Cut the yarn, leaving a tail long enough to weave in. You are left with four stitches on the right needle and four on the left. Pull the needles out and just let those stitches hang there for the moment. Take the tail that you just cut and weave it in on the wrong side through the column of twisted stockinette. Pick up the stitches from the provisional cast-on and bind off in a similar fashion. (Depending on which cast-on you used and how you picked the stitches up, you could be on either the wrong side or the right side. Just be sure to twist the stitches that need twisting and not binding off the four outermost garter stitches on each end.)
Finishing: Unravel the four garter stitches on each end up to the twisted stitch. The twisted stitch will not unravel. Snip the far end of the loops so that each loop becomes two strands of fringe. Wet block, stretching it out so the pattern shows well and the ends and sides are straight. Smooth out the kinks in the fringe so it is straight. When dry, unpin and trim the fringe ends evenly.
That's it. If you knit this, I'd love to see a picture.

30 people had something to say:

Delusional Knitter said...

This is beautiful, thanks for sharing, I wanted to make some bookmarks for Christmas gifts, but the crcohet ones are so tedious, I think I could knit up several of these easily!! Will send you pics when I get around to knitting one up!

Yankee Girl ~ Missy said...

great idea Dave! I will be trying this one!

Anonymous said...

How nice of you to totally write up the pattern. Thanks buddy!

Opal said...

What a wonderful idea and what a beautiful bookmark. This is definitely something I should be doing this holiday season, but you know what they say about good intentions!

Bells said...

I like this very much. I make crochet bookmarks like this a lot but would love to try knitting one. And i have some red #20 kicking around as well. Ta muchly.

Anonymous said...

Great idea Dave - and Xmas is less than 4 month away!!

Romi said...

Thank you for the cool pattern! And I'm so glad the cast on works well for you! :)

Debi said...

Very cute, thanks for the pattern!

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

"Solid part looks kinda solid and the holes look kinda holey"--this is so true! Thanks for this pattern, what a great gift.

Abigail said...

As always I learn something new when I peek into your blog. The idea is pefect for left over bits of sock yarn and great for stocking stuffers too! Thanks.

P.S. Have you joined Ravelry yet?

Carol said...

This is really nice! Thanks so much for the pattern, you rock!

lexa said...

Thanks for sharing! That's a great gift idea.

Elizabeth Delisi said...

What a lovely bookmark, Dave! A great stocking stuffer. Can't wait to try it out. Since I'm a writer, this seems like a perfect gift for me to give!

Anonymous said...

That's a very pretty bookmark! Great idea for a gift along with the book!

KimT said...

I think I will try this one! It looks fab.

Sarah said...

What a great idea, I give books a lot, I just might steal that one!

BrownBerry said...

Very nice! And in my favorite color. Saw that you were a fellow Canadian via Crimson Purl's blog. I look forward to exploring more over here.

Beth said...

What a thoughtful gift! I'd love to receive a hand knit bookmark. I should think about making some for Christmas.

Lacefreak said...

What a great looking bookmarker! I've tatted a few in my day but never knit one before. I may have to give yours a try. Thanks for sharing the pattern!

Chelsea said...

Thanks for sharing this cute pattern! I know that it's time to do Christmas knitting, but I'm trying to not get too over-prepared. Make sense? I know it doesn't. I will be under-prepared no matter what. ;) At least you've posted this great motivating pattern. I'm going to be looking for some yarn that I want to use for this tomorrow. Thanks for the kick in the bum!

Anonymous said...

Red is really hard to photograph, no matter what kind of camera you have. The picture shows the holey vs. solid, which is the important part! Nice item.

fleegle said...

Cool concept. I read most of my books on a little portable laptop, but I am using your picture as a bookmark now :)

Anonymous said...

Nice bookmark! I've got crochet thread galore stashed under my desk, so I just might give this a go. :) Thanks for sharing the pattern.

earthchick said...

What a sweet little knit! Thanks for sharing your pattern!

Kim said...

I just keep dropping by...hoping for a post! Hope you are well and looking forward to pictures of your next newest knit!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous! My DH loves books and bookmarks. Now I have something to knit for him as a gift. Thanks:) I'd like to add this as a link to the Short Attention Span Patterns on my Blog. Yes?

Ang

Agneta said...

Love the bookmark. I'm casting on as soon as possible:-)

Anonymous said...

SWEET!
Thanks so much for sharing - - and for the idea!! I think I'll browse through my lacy scarf patterns and see if any can be modified into something similar!! Thanks again!!
- Jodi

Marifetane hobi said...

hii friend.your blog very nice please,you can add your friend list me to..have a nice day

Anonymous said...

The bookmark fills me with enthusiasm to get geared into the New Year. Since most of my friends are avid readers, I'll put them on to it, too. Thank you, site, for ALL you do for us.