Monday, March 17, 2008

Zombies!!

It was with some trepidation that I signed up for Sock Madness. I'm not a fast knitter, and I have a job with long and weird hours. Could I even do it? What if there was a bunch of toe-ups? Not my preferred way to go. What if there were lace patterns? I've knit and worn some fairly wild socks as far as colour goes, but I do kinda draw the line at lace. Frankly, men's feet & lace? Not really a good combination.

The Zombie pattern was released last Thursday, but I wasn't able to get to it until late Friday night. Thankfully, top down, but it does indeed involve drop stitches which result in a lace pattern of sorts. Hmmm. The pattern notes indicate that solid or semi-solid would best show the pattern, but they also say "think monster." I decided to go the monster route and dug around in the stash.



Koigu PPPM, colour P129. I really don't know when and where I got this, and I really don't know what I was thinking at the time. It's not my normal cup of tea. I hope that the colours were off on the screen shot when I bought it and I was thinking it was brown and blue, but in real life it's a lot of pink tones and dark blue, with some yellow and green thrown in . All the colours of a really good bruise. :-) Perfect for Zombies!

I knew that if I used a short row heel, I could get a pair of socks out of two skeins of Koigu at 64 stitches, which is the cast-on for these socks. However, once I got into the pattern, I realized that all those dropped stitches are extras -- like, 16 extra stitches in each round. And then I got to the heel flap and started sweating. I would normally make a longer flap to improve the fit, but in this case I didn't because (a) we were supposed to follow the pattern exactly and (b) I was scared I would run out of yarn. In the end, they do fit because the pattern stitch has great stretch, but the flap is a bit short on my foot. I will modify the fit in any future patterns, as I think that would be allowed under the rules.

I did get some awful pooling in the gusset though, which I normally would have fixed but didn't here because it wouldn't have followed the pattern. I also learned that I really do not like picking up stitches along a garter edge. Although it makes a nice, neat join, it took f-o-r-f-r-e-a-k-i-n-g-e-v-e-r to get the gussests picked up.

When I was knitting the toe, I ended up putting the yarn in a bag under my chair because I was tired of looking at it and watching it shrink. Luckily, I had enough, with some to spare. I could have made the heel deeper - sigh.

I will admit right here that although the pattern is indeed very nice (see the pic on the Sock Madness page), my goal was to hide it somewhat so that I'd end up with socks I could and would wear. The fleshy tones of this yarn, together with the strong variegation, seem to have done the trick.

"Dude, you got holes your socks?" "What holes? I don't see no stinking holes."

Sock No. 1 was done 10:30 Saturday night, and Sock No. 2 by 11:45 Sunday night. My hands were fine, but my back was sore from all the sitting. The pattern was fun to knit, and dropping the stitches was kind of cool. I liked that little "rrripp" sound they made when you pulled them apart. It's nice to know that I can indeed knit a pair of socks in two days, but I'm beginning to wonder why I want to. :-)

Doncha hate it when someone uses exactly the same colour as the photo on the pattern?



42 people had something to say:

Paula said...

Socks in 2 days?! I'm impressed, but yeah, I wouldn't want to either.

I think they look quite nice and not very lacy. At least the not-holes have little ladders in them.

LaurieM said...

Creepy.... ;-)

Just for the record. My husband wears lace socks. I knit him Nancy Bush's Gentleman's Socks for Evening wear from Traditional Socks. He wears them, enjoys them and no one thinks anything of it.

Chelsea said...

I LOVE these, Dave. The colorway is fabulous, no matter what was originally used. ;) The pattern looks like a lot of fun, but still looks easy to memorize. I think that this is a great pair to bring us back to Spring (all of the air-conditioning in the socks helps). :)

Jason said...

I think that's the perfect zombie color!

Sarah said...

I can't even see the holes. The color hides them completely. Two socks in two days? I'm worn out thinking about it.

Sarah said...

Ha! Well if matching the photo was the goal, I'd say you've achieved it beautifully!

fleegle said...

You are a knitting fiend! They look terrific!

Alwen said...

Very, er, zombie-ish.

Nana Sadie said...

Dave, they're great! Love the KOIGU!
(((hugs)))

Zonda said...

Love those Zombie Socks! Wow, 2 days of intense knitting! I too dislike garter edge heels for the same reason! Too fiddly!

sko_G knits said...

i actually like the pattern!! and your colorway actually is very zombie like

Helen said...

That yarn looks so much better knitted up; I went from Urgh to Ooooh in three photos. Lovely socks.

Anonymous said...

The socks do look a little like brains. Zombies like brains. ;-)

Micki said...

The socks look fantastic! My husband actually prefers lace socks (or, as he says, "socks with holes").

(BTW, we have the same sock blockers! Clearly we share the same impeccable taste.)

Kim said...

Those are fabulous! Sometimes the designer just gets it EXACTLY right and you have to use the same yarn!

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's the photos, but I don't see too much pooling. I think they turned out fine. Think 'texture' not 'lace'. :o)

Anonymous said...

It might be the photos, but I don't see any pooling. I think they turned out fine. Think "texture" not "lace". :o)

Emma said...

Gorgeous! But seriously, how could Koigu ever be monstrous?

Anonymous said...

These are awesome!

Spinsanity said...

Those are some seriously short heel flaps...for any feet.

Great socks though!

Anonymous said...

Awesome! You've gone sock mad! Great job!

Anonymous said...

oooooohhhh! Scaaaaarrrryyyyyy!

lexa said...

What a quick knit! Congrats! The color goes perfect for Zombie, and the pattern looks suited great for man or woman. Definitely not too lacy for man feet!

Jennifer said...

Very nice! The yarn does look bruiselike. But socks in 2 days? Wow!

Opal said...

the way those sock colors match the photo is seriously uncanny. it gave me a littler shiver down my back!

the socks look great. and two days! wowzah. :)

Debi said...

I think they are quite manly and attractive! I know you can't alter the pattern but when I knit a garter edged heel flap I add a selvage stitch -- knit the the back loop on every first stitch, slip with the yarn in front for every last stitch. Makes picking up stitches on the super easy the next round I knit them tbl so they are nice and snug with no holes.
There are plenty of lace patterns that men I knit for would wear. One really nice one is Lucy Neatby's Mermaid sock from Cool socks warm feet. You can use self striping yarn or different colors and the "lace" looks like entrelac. I made em in charcoal and mallard and my guy wears them weekly!

BEESTLYproducts said...

that colorway is awesome!
i've been working on a pair of socks for like, 3 weeks.... hehe.

nova said...

I am always so impressed when people knit socks in an inordinately short amount of time. They look really good!

jessie said...

All this does is make me wonder why I can't knit half a sock in two weeks.

Oh yeah, they look great. (I like the last pair, too.)

Charles said...

OMG? Two days?
Dave~ You knit so faster then everybody! GREAT JOB!

I wish I could join the Sock Madness..Maybe next year.

Ginnie said...

Wow... I am seriously impressed that you knit a pair in two day! Great job!

Chris H said...

Aha! YOu're one of those spped demons! LOL I only just finished my Zombies in the wee hours this morning, but I still made the cut! (woohoo!) I just looove that color, too!

Anonymous said...

I like yours better than mine.... wanna trade? You do wear a women's size 8 though .... right? LOL!

turtlegirl76 said...

Dropped stitches on socks? Now that's something I never would have considered. They look really cool with the yarn too. Very appropriate match up. =)

Teyani said...

more zombies! I see them popping up everywhere. So cool.
I think you get total points for braveness making these in a men's size. I would have been sweating bullets (or in this case would it be oozing something or other?) as these were being knit (grin) Good idea to hide the diminishing yarn ball in a bag.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you knit them so quickly! And I love your description of the colorway, bruise, lol. All in all a great pair, and I don't really see the 'holes' at all. :)

Anonymous said...

Sometimes (not often, mind you) I wish I was more of sock enthusiast. Sock bloggers always have the best fibre. Well, I'm off to another interminable big project.

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

The socks look great, and I love the colourway! Wow, you knit those in 2 days...don't think that's something I could ever do. I'm lucky if I get a pair done in two weeks...or two months lately.

monica said...

I think they look fantastic and I love the color. And great job getting them knit in 2 days.

Angeluna said...

The Zombie's look great. Look at them as "summer" socks, not lace!

BTW, you stole my theme. I used Jitterbug in a similar colorway to yours, i.e. bruised flesh, and picked it because it matched the Zombie photo.

Hmmmm, I also did a tan and a black Koolhaas. With a dark red one planned. Great pattern, huh?

Bianca said...

Amazing! I like the pattern :-)

Anonymous said...

Nice pattern and cool socks. I am not a marathon knitter. It makes fun feel like work. You have a nice blog.