Wednesday, August 19, 2009

August update

Whew, August is just speeding by. And then it slowed right down when summer finally arrived, with a boatload of heat and humidity. Or was that just me that slowed down? It's been a strange year.

I did manage to finish spinning a yarn I started back in July during the Tour de Fleece.


Yummy Australian Merino in the Thorny Devil colourway from Southern Cross Fibre. It probably won't surprise anyone that I again went for a three-ply sock yarn.

It ended up at 410 yards, 14 wpi, and should make some lovely, soft and warm socks.


And speaking of socks, I can't believe I still haven't finished my August socks for Sock-a-Month. I kind of got stalled and distracted. I finally decided to get rid of that old stationary bicycle that's been sitting in the corner for the last seven years. I only used it about four times in all that time, and I was getting tired of dusting it. But then I was left with an empty corner and, as they say, nature abhors a vacuum, so I had to fill it.

Yup, a spinning wheel! With curious cat shown, for scale. :-) I've played with it a bit, and as expected, my first bump was sort of disastrous, but we're slowly getting to know each other.

And because these things seem to be important to Ladybug people, here's the bug:


26 people had something to say:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the new wheel ... she's a beauty!

Love the sock yarn color. BEAUTIFUL!

lexa said...

I soooo love your spinning, and now you've got a wheel!!

It's soooo hot and humid here, too, I can't stand it. Right now I'm waiting for the guy from the oil company to come clean my furnace and hot water tank. He could be here anywhere between 1-5 (why can't they give you an actual time?!). I'm hoping he's here sooner rather than later so the kids and I can head to the beach again. My house is like an oven, I can't stand it. School is back in two weeks from today, so we're running out of beach time.

Cookie said...

Love the cat!

Oh, I'm sorry. This is a knitting/fiber blog, isn't it? Love the sock yarn! You did a wonderful job spindling it.

And congratulations on the Ladybug! Now I can see where some of your August has gone.

Yarndude said...

You got a wheel?! I can't believe it! It's so pretty!

Sarah said...

I love that sock yarn! Are you keeping it for yourself, even though it's not strictly man colors?

Congrats again on the wheel. I predict you'll be spinning gorgeous stuff in no time (it's all about the learning curve!).

Nana Sadie said...

The sock yarn is gorgeous...the wheel is nice, too, but the new "space" is even better...

Explain kitty please? Why haven't we seen him/her before - I'm drooling (yes, I'm odd). I'm in love with kitty!
(((hugs)))

Nana Sadie said...

Oh dear, forgive me, Muushu? I didn't mean to forget you....
(((hugs)))

DeAnn said...

Beautiful yarn, as always. :) You choose great colors.
Enjoy your wheel, every wheel has a personality all it's own.
Enjoy!

Monika said...

Oh yeah! Woohee! I've been waiting for that!!!! I'm so happy for you! I'm waiting for my third wheel (used) to arrive. I love your new spun yarn, it looks fabulous! Wish you lots of fun with your Ladybug!

fleegle said...

That yarn, and fiber, is just stunning!! Is it 3-ply or Navajo ply? Curious fleegles want to know.

Congrats on your wheel...does that mean you need new homes for your spindles?

....fleegle scrupulously cleans out a little corner in anticipation...

Briley said...

I knew you would end up with a wheel! I hope you love it as much as spindling. Can't wait to see some wheel spun yarn.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely yarn!

Micki said...

You and the Ladybug will be great friends in no time. And I still covet that yarn! :)

Jean said...

Looks like you made a wise choice, something you will enjoy using. Kitty will be quite pleased and it would not surprise me if they just sit there and watch all the action, moving yarn! I look forward to your posts, i'll bet you will be making us non spinners even more jealous with the gorgeous yarn you will be creating.

turtlegirl76 said...

HA! You got a wheel! I knew you'd cave someday. =D

I am seriously in love with that handspun. What awesome colors!

Zonda said...

Pretty handspun! Hehe..totally Turtlegirl's colors, watch out ;)
Nice wheel! I've had mine for a couple of months, never thought I'd cave :)

Bells said...

I always admire your spun yarn so much. It's just gorgeous.

WendyKnits said...

Oh my, that sock yarn you spun is beyond spectacular!

Do I even need to say I love the cat?

Anonymous said...

Must resist not to drool

JessaLu said...

Gorgeous handspun! Congrats again on the wheel! :o)

Kathy Kathy Kathy said...

Are you going to stop knitting? One hand to spindle, one hand to spin, no hands to knit! WHatever will you do? Let us know if you need help knitting your hand/wheel spun. We got your back. I think you are planning to spin long kitty hair as well since you've got an overage.

Rebecca said...

My favorite colors! LOVELY yarn!

Carrie K said...

Congratulations on the new wheel!

That yarn is beautiful. Love the sunset/strawberry coloring.

Bea said...

congratulations on the wheel you bought!
I always knew that sooner or later there will be a wheel in your blog.

And you will see - the meditation thing will be the same with a wheel, too.

But on the other side, sooner or later you will have to start knitting again because using a wheel you will get lots of yarn...

Much fun with your wheel
Bea

Moggle said...

Wow, I didn't realise you did all your lovely spinning on a spindle. Think of all the stash you can get through with a wheel!

Enjoy it - people seem to really love their ladybugs :-)

lori said...

congratulations and have fun with your Ladybug. it's a great wheel. :)