Thursday, May 04, 2006

Yes, I am a lemming.

Thanks very much y'all (or is that all y'all - I can never remember which is which) for your very kind comments about the Basketcase socks. I hope you enjoy knitting and wearing yours as much as I have mine. And no, you don't have to name them, unless you really, really want to.

There is no progress to report on my Starsky, because I haven't actually touched it since I last posted about it. There is no progress to report on the turquoise cabled cardi either. I have finished one May SMAK sock and cast on the second. However, between the casting off and the casting on, I somehow managed to start three other socks. And I'm not exactly sure how I did that, except I remember a vague yearning for round after round after round of soothing stockinette. Boom, there they were. Two of those socks are ready for heels, which I consider to be weekend work, and the other is beside me right now. The small progress I was making on my Chaos is disintegrating. I obviously have a problem, and that problem is Lack of Focus.

So, as I was saying, I am, or have become, a lemming. I seem to be joining knit-alongs almost as quickly as I have been purchasing yarn. (By the way, I'd like to thank the Income Tax people for giving me back the money that they took from me in the first place - it's all gone now, so please send more.) Oh yes, lemmings. Whither the crowd goest, so go I. I see something that looks like fun, so I jump in. I tell myself the discipline will be good for me. I convince myself that peer pressure and threat of public humiliation will help keep me on track. Of course, it also occurs to me as I type this that none of the knitalongs I have recently joined relate to any current projects, only new ones. I will conveniently ignore that fact :-)

I have admired Sam the Ram for a long time. He looks like a fun challenge. I wouldn't want him to be lonely, so I also ordered the pattern for Sue the Ewe. The knit-along for Sam grew out of a discussion on the Aranknit list. I'm thinking I'll use up some Patons Classic Merino, but the final decision will be made once the patterns arrive.

I have lusted after Brenda Zuk's Tiger Swallowtail Shawl since I first saw it many years ago. I am a member of several lace lists, but so far my lace has been limited to bookmarks and one doily. (I knit a doily several years ago because, well, I just had to -- you know how it goes. I finished it and said, "What the heck am I supposed to do with it now?" I gave it to a friend and thought the lace bug was out of my system. Apparently not.) I have about as much use for a shawl as I do for a doily. Nonetheless, I am now a member of The Amazing Lace, with the swallowtail as my partner. The pattern is ordered, and yarn will be determined at some future point. This knit-along sounds like a lot of fun, but I am also scared like I ain't never been scared before. Send good vibes - I think I'll need them.

Oh, and if you'd like to join in, there's lots of room on the edge of the cliff. Come join the lemming trail ... you know you want to.

(I thought that if I peppered this post with links, you wouldn't notice the total absence of pictures. Did it work?)

13 people had something to say:

Agnes said...

I joined The Amazing Lace too ... and my teammate is Birch. I think if I have to take it out of the apartment, I'd better choose something not too complicated. :)

aija said...

Oy, I don't feel as bad to not have touched Starsky in ages either now :)

Anonymous said...

Hey D...It's your Tea Swap pal. Just doing a little research! You're brave, about wanting to tackle lace. All my lace attempts have been sad affairs that end up at the frog pond!

Anonymous said...

Dave, you started all those socks because you secretly wish to attain -- even surpass -- the magic number of 31 pairs in progress at the same time. . .you know you've been jealous ever since I told you.

Elizabeth

HPNY KNITS said...

Pressure! Pressure!
We just have to keep it in check- all the flood of inspiration- and organize the process. I am about to embark on the "list" process. When its on paper, (and on the blog for that matter...)
And I love the links!!
thanks

Theresa said...

It's all about the community, right? Wouldn't be be bored up there on the top of that cliff without us?

Jason said...

I'm newly hooked on lace. Not qualified to enter the race. But I'll be on the sidelines to cheer you and Agnes on! Go Dave! Go Agnes!

sheep#100 said...

I do that with hyperlinks, too. Link everything distract the reader from my lack of photography.

I like your basketcase socks. I'm thinking of doing those to test knit some yarn.

Anonymous said...

That Swallotail Shawl is great! I'll be watching your progress. Liked your contest entry by the way - thanks!

Anonymous said...

That Swallotail Shawl is great! I'll be watching your progress. Liked your contest entry by the way - thanks!

Unknown said...

Dave, I think we are already on the lemming edge with you. Holy crap; join the KAL's and then you freak! Good to know you are going to be so swamped! (at least it's not crack cocaine..LOL). I keep seeing you on the same lists as me so I figure you have the same good taste!

JoeyJoJo said...

Lemming shmemming. I think you're great. Anyone who can knit such amazing things is alright in my book. Great stuff, keep it up.
P.S those peeps are weird.

Zee said...

Ooh... socks. :) I seriously think I'll be taking some yarn to knit some on my vacation.

Knitalongs... I know! They're so much fun!