Sunday, February 04, 2007

Les Victoires

Thank you all for your warm wishes on my blogiversary, and thank you, also, for playing along in my little give-a-way. The original intent behind starting this blog was to help keep me on track on my various projects. I'm not so sure it's been successful on that front, but it's certainly been a lot of fun. Now if you'd all stop posting your wonderful projects and patterns and beautiful new yarns in am effort to lead me astray, I'd appreciate it. (Kidding!)

Many of you were able to guess the correct landmark number of comments, but one of you was actually home sick in bed and rather than knit actually took the time to count them. That's dedication! I was glad to see that Mr. Random Number Generator thought that dedication should be rewarded. Earthchick, you won by guessing the correct number -- 1500. And Meg, you won by actually posting the 1500th comment. Congratulations to you both! Earthchick seems to be veering a little bit into the sewing side, so I'm hoping to tempt her back into knitting by sending her some yummy yarn. And Meg ... well, you see, Meg seems to have this awful fascination with, um, well, what can you say ... novelty yarn scarves. I'm sorely tempted to send her the most novelty-ish yarn I can find so she can make one for herself rather than just stalking other peoples'.

This week in knitting: I wasn't going to join this round, but one look at my sock yarn stash said I better keep going, so I clicked away and am now a member of Sock-a-Month 3. That meant, of course, that I had to get started on some socks. I managed to get two done past the heel turn. I didn't like the fit of one, so I ripped it. I decided on a different pattern for the other, so I ripped it too. Hence, no new knitting to show you. I think every post should have at least one picture, so I guess that means that I have to recycle some previous FOs. :-)

CarrieK asked to see the inside of my Fake Isle Hat. Her wish is my command:


Complete with darned in end up at the top.

I will admit that the colours are starting to grow on me .... a bit. I do wear it, and it helps that I can't actually see myself when I'm wearing it.

And I've been obsessing about that cat's eyes -- you know, like I really have nothing better to do. I found something else that I like a little better.

They're still kind of spooky, but hey, I'm calling him done. Does anyone else find it strange that I can obsess over what constitutes the eyes, but then can blithely just glue them on over top of the old eyes with nary a care?

Oh, and that's snow you see in the background, not lint. ;-)

32 people had something to say:

Carrie said...

Thanks a lot - now I have joined Sock-a-Month 3 as well! :)

Happy blogiversary!

Unknown said...

Well Dave, I'm glad to see that you are joining me in SAM3. It's nice to have a famliar face!

You know? The inside of your hat looks as well made as the front. And if it doesnt grow on you still then I can send you my mailing address! Coz I love it!
And as for the evilkittyfromwho-knows-where...thanks... now I will be seeing him in my nightmares!!

By the way, I copying your prison picture and stuck it on my refrigerator. I'm telling people its my ex-husband. He he he....

Unknown said...

And honestly, I DO know how to spell...geezzzzzzz..

lexa said...

I joined SAM3, too. I've been in for every round so far! Glad to see you joined again, too. A new blogger who lives in my town has signed up, too. She comes into our store, so it's nice to have someone this close in the KAL too.

Nano said...

Love the Fake Isle Hat. Colors and all, and it looks good on you too, despite what you say. Since I'm delving into fair isle, soon, hopefully, I may try that hat for starters. By the way, I've enjoyed your blog since I discovered the Garterlac Dishcloth, which I LOVE, but can't remember if I commented on it before. Your talent and wit are much appreciated. At any rate, I'll be back! (Famous last words)

Monika said...

You are so cruel! How could you? Poor kitty! And if you don't like your wonderful hat, than send it to me! Easy!

Anonymous said...

Ack! That cat is going to feature prominently in my nightmares tonight.

I totally agree that imperfect knits can be tolerated better when one sort of forgets that one is wearing them. :)

Anonymous said...

The inside of the hat looks as good as the outside. So neat! And the colors look good on you. It's that expression! Priceless. Hmm. All my wishes? Yeah, I thought not. ;)

I like the kitty eyes! Emerald green, like Oz.

LaurieM said...

LOL! Oh no! That's awful. Dave, I'm sorry, but I've got nothing nice to say about the kitty's eyes.

Oh wait! I do. They're very funny and they made me laugh!!

Anonymous said...

Hahaha, the eyes! They seem to follow me around the blog!

I experimented with several eyes for my Huggable Hedgehog, before finally settling on wee little buttons. What they lack in accurate representation of hedgehog eyeballs, they make up for in retro Paddington-bear style cuteness.

I think that hat is great, by the way!

Jennifer said...

I like the green jewel eyes! Very cute.

Anonymous said...

He looks very hollywood with those eyes! 1500 comments? Wow!

Meg said...

OMG, I have NEVER won a blog contest, I am sooo excited!! (I like your novelty yarn idea - but hmmm, perhaps I should maintain a 'professional' distance from the novelty scarves so as to avoid any accusations of bias in my novelty scarf anthropology experiments!?)
Whatever you choose to send me, i promise I will attempt to make something Dave-worthy of it!

Debi said...

Now those are emerald eyes! :)

Thx for the compliments on the wristers, I'm gonna give you credit for the mods when I post them as FO's! You should try a pair in the cashsoft! wow!

Acornbud said...

I find eyes and mouths the most challenging part of softies. They can make the difference between sweet and evil, depressed or upbeat.
The inside of your hat is so neat and tidy!

sgeddes said...

the kitty is cute - but I really love that hat! The colors look great to me. I thought so when you posted it the other day and even seeing it inside out didn't change my mind.

Yankee Girl ~ Missy said...

Uh oh~ I think I am seeing another KAL in my future! Good luck on your socks!!! The inside of your hat looks as beautiful as the out side! By the way the kitty looks great with the green eyes!

Anonymous said...

Congrats to the winners, and Happy Blogiversary!!

I really like the colors of the hat, and your stranding really does look just perfect. The cat eyes...yeah, they're creepy, lol. Maybe a stitched line between the jewels to make them look like sophisticated shades?

limedragon :-: Harriet said...

Haha, congrats to the winners!! As for kittycat... are you naming him Emerald then? Cuz his eyes look like emeralds. Thanks for the link to SAM3... I missed out on the earlier rounds. :)

Teyani said...

the kitty's done?.... hmmm. I don't find it at all odd that you are obsessing about his eyes - after all, they show the character...

HPNY KNITS said...

go socks go! in this weather, one need them all!.
very nice hat innards! the true mark of great knitting as far as my grandma was concerned.

Opal said...

I love that green eyed cat. I think obsessing about the eyes is rather ordinary since the eyes of a cat are the most expressive feature.

The inside of your hat looks marvelous. Such even tension!

Thanks for the link to SAM3. I think I just might join up.

earthchick said...

WOOHOO!! I'm so excited! Thanks, Dave!

p.s. Love the cat's eyes.

Anonymous said...

Well, Happy Blogiversary to you! The cat does still look spooky... maybe a pair of little black discs and tiny rhinestones glued to that would give a more animated look. But wait - you did say he was finished. On the hat thing, I totally hear you about the 16 inch needles. They fight my hands too much, but I haven't really embraced DPNs yet. Time to suck it up for me!

Charles said...

I love the Green eye!!!

Did you name the cutelittle guy?

awasome hate too!! I want knit this hat so bad~~

Anyway visit my blog..You can help this one!!

Thanks

Lola and Ava said...

Good lord, you could wear the wrong side out, it is so damn pretty. I can't bring myself to knit any animals because I don't think that I could stop. There is a Knitty Gritty taped about making an angora bunny (apropo) that I oogle every so often but I haven't buckled yet.

Terri said...

I'm being strong and trying not to peek at that sock-a-month thingy. I've got enough on my plate right now without any more temptation! The inside of your hat looks almost as nice as the front. Hope you are staying warm in all that snow!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry but the kitty looks like a rapper's pet gone wrong "kitty-bling-yo", maybe you should add a grill and complete his hip hop look.

Jen said...

oooh... the luscious upskirt shot. I love it! And I don't know what you're talking about with the colors of the kureyon... I like it a lot and I'm not usually an orange girl either.

Anonymous said...

I just discovered your blog through my referrers. Hello! That is the finest stranding I've ever seen. Very jealous here!

-Becky

eve knits said...

Lovely hat!

Anonymous said...

How did I miss this post? THOSE EYES!! You're a wild man Dave. A wild, WILD man indeed...