Sunday, April 29, 2007

SAM3 - April done!

Ooops, long time no post. Sorry, didn't mean to fall off the face of the earth. Blame it on a combination of busyness at work, a nasty spring-time cold, and new glasses.




Not much knitting got done, but my April socks did get finished.



These are based on the Kansas Harvest pattern from the Townsend Knitting group. The original pattern is written for DK weight yarn, but I re-worked the numbers to use fingering weight and to fit my foot.

The pattern calls for a bunch of 1-over-1 cables. I decided I wanted to use twisted stitches instead of cables for both the grain heads and the stems.



Although the pattern calls for K1-P1 ribbing at the top, the picture shows K2-P2. I decided to use twisted stitches in the ribbing as well. As written this would have resulted in the ribbing not aligning nicely with the pattern. By starting the pattern stitches on Round 11, I was able to have them flow smoothly together.



I decided to use the eye of partridge heel flap instead of heel stitch.



One thing I really liked about the pattern as written was how the rib stitches flowed down from the leg into the instep. Of course, that's the part of the pattern I misread. I should have carried the twisted rib from the previous pattern instead of starting a new one. (sigh) The way I did it, it looks clunky.



But the yarn I used is nice and sproingy ...

... and the ribbing helps the sock conform to the foot.


No, my foot doesn't have that weird hump in it. That's my hand holding it open a bit to show the ribs.

I really like this pattern stitch. It looks great up close and personal, but you do have to get up close and personal to see it properly. In the future, I may try something similar but simplified a bit.



The light today is kind of funny - sometimes bright, sometimes subdued. I'm quite smitten with the effect it is having. Some of my photos came out sharp and warm ...



... and others cool and velvety.


I'm loving the play between the pattern stitches and the plain stitches on the bottom of the foot.




I'm also loving the total randomness of the colours in this yarn.




Oh, did I mention the yarn? Hand-dyed, expertly and exquisitely, by Jessie and available at A Piece of Vermont -- if you can beat me to it.

That's been the sum total of my knitting this month. I've not even started on my scarf for the ISE. Gotta get going on that. Yikes.

Oh, and there's a winner in the contest in my last post, but I haven't yet written them to so advise. The actual answer is that it's a dying blank. You paint on the colours you want, then unravel it and knit it up. What a great way to make stripes or gradual gradations! Which answer entertained me the most? Guess you'll have to wait just a bit longer to find out. :-)

67 people had something to say:

nbgriz said...

Hi Dave! I just came over from the SAM3 blog where you posted your latest sock pic. Your blog is wonderful. I'm so glad I came over to see all the additional picture of your great socks! I have that pattern and never knitted it up. Maybe it deserves a second look now. Thanks for all your tips on converting the pattern to fingering weight yarn. Your photography is beautiful.

Carrie said...

Those socks are amazing--the pattern really, really looks like wheat! Gorgeous yarn, too.

Matt....... said...

Man are those nice! I'm in awe of the colors too........

Karen said...

Those are awesome!! Love them - love the way the color works with the pattern - love the modifications you made. Great job!

Lynn said...

those socks are a definite win/win. Great yarn, great colorway and great pattern. Guess that would make it a win/win/win!

Beth said...

I also love Jessie's yarns. The one I knit with was all reds and burgundys with bits of this and that thrown in. Perfect!

Charity said...

Dave, these are great looking socks! I really like the stitch pattern, reminds me of my days as a Prairie girl. :0)

Pat said...

Well you played with that pattern beautifully! and the yarn is the most wheaty, harvesty color I can imagine - gorgeous combo of yarn and pattern!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful socks. You did a great job on the socks.

Emma said...

Those are such pretty socks! What a clever stitch pattern.

CynCyn said...

Awesome socks. I love the yarn all knit up in that pattern, great choice.

limedragon :-: Harriet said...

I love how the pattern matches the yarn colorway, they're gorgeous!

schrodinger said...

I love the colours in that sock - great pattern too. I had the same problem with the light today too - strange day.

bonitapita said...

That is the most beautiful heel I've seen! Gorgeous socks over all, but I LOVE that heel!!

Lauren said...

Those socks are great!

Debi said...

perfect union of gorgeous yarn and great pattern! Love your "personal touches"!

BEESTLYproducts said...

That yarn is fab, as is you fancy dancy sock.

Nora said...

You're alive!!! Great socks - the texture and colours are a perfect combination.

Black Dog Knits

Unknown said...

I'm glad that you had so much fun taking pictures; along with the great descriptions I can almost imagine having knit them myself!
You did a wonderful job!!

Opal said...

Love the socks and what gorgeous photos.

Jennifer said...

Gorgeous socks! Lovely colors. That stitch pattern shows off the colors well.

Teyani said...

welcome back - and what gorgeous socks - the dye and the knit work perfectly together. Jessie does an incredible job with her dyeing! I've had her dye up some stuff for me as well, and I adore it.
Love the pattern - It totally looks like shafts of wheat. I'll bet that those will be a favorite pair of socks for a long time in the future.

Liz K. said...

While those are some beautiful socks, I am just happy to see you pop your head up to let your blog-pals know you're OK.

I think I must have some of the yarn.

Dorene said...

Simply mahvalous, dahlin'

Anonymous said...

Great job on the socks and the pics! Lighting is amazing how it can change a color or effect. Photography is inspiring! The heel is cool!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful color and Awesome pattern!!!!! Love them. LOVE. THEM>

LaurieM said...

Oh, beautiful Dave! I can see you love it too from the quantity and quality of pictures you took. I think my favorite is the eye of the partridge heel, closely followed by the heads of grain. Very, very nice.

Meg said...

Lovely sproingy socks! The eye of partridge heel is perfect with the yarn variegations.

goodkarma said...

That is a really beautiful stitch pattern and works quite well with the lovely handpainted yarn. Your heel is a piece of art! Enjoy...

Anonymous said...

Those are so beautiful - the colors, the pattern, the knitting - just beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I love the socks; but, I especially like the effect produced with the eye of partridge heel and the yarn, fabulous!

Anonymous said...

These socks are simply stunning. The yarn and the pattern accent each other beautifully. Thank you for including all the picture of the sock parts. I love seeing all the detail!

aija said...

Rad photos! I love your walkthru, and your thoughts on mods.

Doesn't it feel naughty to not knit for so long? I love it :)

Acornbud said...

Sproingy is good:) I went to school in Kansas and loved the wheat. Believe it or not, it's not common in Hawaii. The colorway worked so well with the pattern.

Anonymous said...

Yay for using just the right pattern for the colors in the yarn! Gorgeous socks and i love the pattern modifications right down to the heel. It's all great.

It would have taken me a month and several Ibuprofen to make all the adjustments to the pattern, and then it wouldn't have come out well. You're good.

HPNY KNITS said...

wow! long time no see but this is a feast for the eyes! great socks and great photos! I love the close up of the stitches! it is so organic and perfect grain. you basically wrote a pattern 'based loosely."
awesome!

Anonymous said...

Very nice:) That's one of the nicest pattterns I've seen.

Ang

Sarah said...

Lovely, lovely socks!

Stacey said...

how pretty! i like how you made the ribbing twisted also - matches up really well....

earthchick said...

Those socks are perfectly gorgeous. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. And I love all the photos.

I've never heard of a dying blank, but I think it's a genius idea.

Nana Sadie said...

Missed you! So glad you're back...and what great socks!!
(((hugs)))

Carrie said...

Great socks/great pictures! Love the pattern, and they do look softy and cushy. Gratz on a great pair of socks!

Anonymous said...

Very handsome socks! I'm glad you're back and feeling better.

Gretchen said...

I love that pattern and the colors are gorgeous. Very nice. And, yes, Jessie is brilliant with color!

lexa said...

That is a beautiful color, and the pattern is great with them! Love the little grain heads.

Mag said...

A truly spectacular pair of socks!

I was wondering how/where you were, but I assumed the best, busy, spring fever etc... and happy to hear I was right in my assumptions.

jayne said...

Hi Dave, I thought I would come on by and say hello. What beautiful socks. I am very impressed. I knit socks, but so far all of mine are plain SS. I like the pattern you've worked here, and the yarn is gorgeous (some of my fave colours). You are so generous with your photographs and explanations. I bet people come here to find out how it's done all the time.

Cool blog...I'll be back!

Oh, and PS. I'm in Sockapalooza 4 this time around, and I'm determined to knit something other than a plain SS sock. I think I'll be okay on the yarn front (LOL)

Anonymous said...

You really have a knack for finding the nicest sock yarn in the nicest colors. And you could not have picked a better pattern to show these off. I love everything about them.

Calamknitty said...

The socks are beautiful! The Eye of Partridge heel was the perfect choice to show off the colors of the yarn. Enjoy!

Romi said...

Very very nice!

froggiemeanie said...

I love the socks and the photographs!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that yarn looks fabulous with that stitch! Thank heaven for blogs and close ups! Imagine how all of us detail of stitch pattern people would look if we had to see it all IRL.

Valerie Polichar said...

Wow. Great colors, great pattern, fab socks!

knitspot anne said...

tha yarn is gorgeous! and nice knitting too . . . . i like the pattern a lot, and a good choice to use the eye of the partridge heel.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful socks and scrumptious yarn! Thanks for all the details about your modifications! :-))

Knit Picking said...

I love the way the colours mix in the heel! I also really like your ribbing. I guess you've beat us all at the "Piece of Vermont"

knitting gal from gaspe said...

Dave your socks are so nice nd i love the pattern and the color

Lola and Ava said...

Ooo. I'm lovin' the twisted stitch. I think it's really underrated.

gail said...

the pattern and the yarn match perfectly!! And of course, your technique and photos are wonderful. I must get that pattern and maybe some of the yarn as well!! Thanks so much for sharin.

JeanTownsend said...

Your socks are marvelous and I LOVE how they turned out. When i wrote the pattern your socks is how I hoped they would look when knitted up. Thank you for such wonderful pictures. There are lots and lots more free ones available. The LILACS are very popular.
http://justmejeanie.blogspot.com/

kathy b said...

Hi Dave

THe socks are wonderful. Thanks for the humilty . The knitting mistakes make me feel much more human. Thanks for the link to the dyer.

Sarah said...

Gorgeous socks!

Gingersnaps with Tea... said...

your socks are so gorgeous, you choose the nicest colours and that pattern looks quite intricate. It's a perfect match of colour to pattern though with the green and golds and sheaves of wheat.

Anonymous said...

I have that pattern! I'll have to take another look at it. I think you did a great job picking out the right colors for it...looks very wheaty indeed. Beautiful photography!

Anonymous said...

Lovely socks!

Laura said...

The socks are gorgeous--the pattern, the yarn, everything. Love 'em!

JulieFrick said...

I'm sure I'm the umpty-hundredth person to say this, but this is the perfect marriage of yarn to pattern!