Thursday, July 26, 2007

SAM3 - Final two


I managed to get two pairs of socks off the needles this month.

I've been working on the blue ones for what? Four months? Five months? I dunno. They've been sitting beside my desk and I would just pick them up and knit a few rounds every now and then. It's Regia No. F2025, a ragg yarn with two strands of dark blue and one each of light blue and beige.


The ribbing at the top is different because I tried to do a pattern, but it was totally obscurbed the the colours in the yarn. I gave up and went plain. I think they took so long because they were kind of boring but, in the end, I'll probably get a lot of wear out of them just because they are plain and boring. Funny how that works, eh.



On the other hand ...


... these ones just flew off the needles.


It's the Winter's End colourway in Ball and Skein. Totally yummy.



I loved watching the colours mingle and play.



I'm glad I've got some more of this in stash. She has some wonderful semi-solids and muted multis. Good stuff, indeed.

That's the end of SAM3. I won't be doing SAM4, because I have other things I want to do, including several UFOs that need to be Fd. Problem is, I just don't feel like doing them right now ... it's too hot and muggy. I tried to cast on some socks last night, but it just felt sticky. Maybe I need to go back to the cotton for a while.

40 people had something to say:

Charity said...

These are great, Dave! I really love the colourway of the brown socks.

Stacey said...

two great pairs. funny how the boring ones often get worn the most!

knottykitty said...

Love the socks, especiall the ones in Winter's End! The variations and striping are great!

Anonymous said...

I've started buying solids and semi-solids b/c I think the boring ones will be more useful too. I love both colors = the top remind me of my favorite jeans. good stuff.

Anonymous said...

She dyes such beautiful yarn! The Winter's End is perfectly named too! (and yes, it's the plain socks that get worn the most often - esp. blue plain)

sheep#100 said...

Love the blue socks!!

Nana Sadie said...

gorgeous colors - both!
(((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

The brown socks are awesome. They look like they would be really smooshy and comfortable. They'll go great with khakis or black slacks.

LaurieM said...

Lovely socks. It's nice to have a plain knitting project on hand at all times. For me, it stops me from starting projects I might otherwise regret. :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm into 'boring socks' at the moment too! Must be something in the air...

Anonymous said...

My husband (who's looking over my shoulder) and I love these socks! Such great colors.

Lynn said...

I have to say I ALWAYS love the colorways you chose for socks!! I dont think I've seen one that I didnt like. Great job as always!

Micki said...

Great socks! I have some Winter's End in my stash. After seeing how beautifully yours knitted up, I may need to move mine up in the queue.

HPNY KNITS said...

feels good to FO! the brown socks (to put it mildly) are fab. what a nice knit for a nice yarn! I might have to break the yarn diet here...........

Chrissy said...

Great socks! I'm so sad to hear you won't be doing SAM 4. I'm pouting, you just can't see it. Are you sure?

Anonymous said...

Very nice socks - I love the Ball and Skein colorway. I'm going to have to try this yarn!

Kay-From the Back Yard said...

Those socks are really good looking!

Jennifer said...

I really like them both! I'm always reminded of how much I like how ragg yarns knit up when I see a FO using that kind of colorway. Nice!

Anonymous said...

Nice sockage! I *really* like the colors in the brown ones...very nice :o)

Opal said...

Love both pairs. My wallet is always in danger when I wander over here. You always find such great sock yarn!

aija said...

I so dig the brown pair! I know what you mean about simple getting the most use... finished sock wise I know I'll wear my commercially spun (nylon added) socks most b/c they can take such a beating :)

Sarah said...

Both pairs look great -- I love a plain sock every now and then, and you're right, I think in the end the plain ones see the most use.

Is that dishcloths I hear calling you?

Bells said...

Impressive. Good, blokey colours are hard to find in my part of the world. My husband loves socks and somehow all the pretty colours I buy just aren't his thing....I'll keep an eye out for these, particularly that brown one!

Anonymous said...

That Winter's End colorway is beautiful, wonderful how it knitted up!

Terri said...

Those browns are really beautiful. I can see why you had fun with this yarn. As much as I love knitting patterned socks, I prefer wearing plain ones. They are just more practical. The blues look like they will be very practical - great with jeans etc. Good job.

lexa said...

Great socks! I love the way the second pair "striped". I know what you mean about hot and muggy -- it's been too hot here lately. I've been working on another bag, but the wool is too hot to handle! Think I'll cast on some cotton Breezes.

Carol said...

Cotton is definitely the ticket! Your new socks are great! Hard to imagine they'll be needed to keep cold feet warm, huh? For now, stay cool!

Anonymous said...

Love the brown socks. If I was a sock knitter I would definitely knit a pair in that yarn.

Diana @ Photodee said...

I totally understand what you mean, it is sometimes hard to knit in the summer...I almost didnt get my July socks done for exactly that reason! Love how yours came out. I often dont want to wear my more intricate socks for fear of something happening to them!

Anonymous said...

Love the Winter's End colors. I know what you mean about not doing SAM4... I love socks, but I kinda totally missed the deadines for the last 2 months, and there are so many other things that I want to do!

Terby said...

The Winter's End socks are beautiful. I like the blues too. You find some very interesting sock yarns to knit with.

As much as I love my bright and wildly textured socks, I think all of us actually wear the plain socks most.

Sarah said...

I love the colors of the brown socks! They striped up beautifully, too.

I hear ya on the plain socks, they take forever but they get so much wear.

nova said...

Those browns of that ball & skein yarn...gorgeous. I am swooning over here. Swooning!

Cloudberry said...

Great socks! I love the brown pair :)

Anonymous said...

I gave up on the wool, too. Too hot. Cotton Calorimetry is the ticket for me. The socks are lovely. My favorite are the rags:)

Ang

~Kristie said...

I love them both!

Beth said...

Both pairs are very nice. I'll have to check out the yarn for those brown ones. I'm looking for something new.

I've found that the socks I wear the most often are usually the more plain ones. I'm sure you'll get loads of use out of those blue socks.

Anonymous said...

The brown socks are really phenomenal (with no offense meant to the also-very-nice blue socks). The teeny tiny stripes and the very subtle pooling make for a wonderful effect!

Carson said...

Hello, I'm so glad I have more than one Canadian reader! I do love both those socks: both the regia blues and the especially the winters end. they look like they'd be very pleasing to knit, and thank you for linking to the yarn source! some unusual colourways I haven't seen elsewhere.

knitspot anne said...

oooh i just got some of this end of winter yarn; first time for using judy's yarn and i can't wait to cast on. but i will . . wait. just a bit anyway . . .