Sunday, December 07, 2008

Kaleidoscope # 5

With the completion of the Christmas knitting (yes, I'm rubbing it in!), it's time to get back to some projects that have been sitting for a bit, patiently waiting their turn.



Silk Garden No. 258.


This colourway apparently has every colour ever invented by Noro.



In the Other News Department -- a loose end:

Yikes!! I completely forgot to mention something cool about the Moonlight shawl. It's one of those patterns that looks nice from either side. This is good when you're giving something to a non-knitter and you're afraid they might wear it inside-out. Here's the side that I forgot to include in the last post.


There, full disclosure. I feel much better now. :-)

And in the spindling department, I turned this:



into this:

The sock yarn I finished last month is being knit up as we speak, but I'm not completely happy with it. It's knit-able, but more, um, crisp than soft, so I think that means I over-spun it. This time around I concentrated on keeping the singles a bit looser. I also wanted to make a thicker yarn. The sock yarn singles were about 40 wpi, and for a two-ply worsted weight, the singles should be about 24 wpi. Trying to increase the size of the single is ... interesting. Your hands get used to a certain motion, and you really have to work at making them do something else. The finished yarn isn't completely even, but it's much softer. At 266 yards, it ended up being a light worsted weight.

I've also been working on plying tighter.


All in all, I'm happy with it. So, what shall it be? Scarf or hat? Hmmm.


25 people had something to say:

Unknown said...

To get a thicker single with less fight, try a heavier spindle. The added weight will need more fiber to keep from breaking. It may take a small adjustent to your drafting, but in the long run I find it easier than making all the adjustment with me. :-)

Happy spindling!

fleegle said...

Silk Garden: 10 out of 10
Moonlight Shawl: 10 out of 10 (Wow! Whose pattern is that?)
Plied Yarn: 10 out of 10

And that opal-colored yarn is truly lovely too!

Sarah said...

Love your latest yarn! Looks like you're continuing to get great results with your spinning.

Micki said...

You're being so productive! The new yarn is just lovely. It really is difficult to spin thicker yarns once you get used to spinning fine.

Yarndude said...

As I have said before, I am completely envious of your spinning skills. I have thrown out everything I ever spun. I never even got around to plying it because I couldn't figure out how to do so with a spindle. Oh well. :(

bockstark.knits said...

oooh love the silk garden scarf!!!! you have been so busy!

Kay-From the Back Yard said...

The scarf is gloriously beautiful and you know how I love Noro!

I'm jealous of your spinning, too. However, the more I read about it, the more complicated it seems. Uff Da! (that's Norwegian for Good Grief!)

Briley said...

It's just offensive that you are done with holiday knitting!

The yarn is gorgeous. You really have a natural gift for spindling. I finally got around to spinning up that merino/tencel we spoke of. I should post about it at some point...

HPNY KNITS said...

I agree about the reversible or looks good on both sides. I prefer patterns like that.
your hand spun yarn is amazing. wonder what it will be when it grows up.

Nana Sadie said...

I'll vote for a hat, that's lovely stuff...A Koolhaas, perhaps?
Very good work!!!
(((hugs)))

Jean said...

You are developing depth quickly with your spindling, just a point, there are firmly spun sock yarns on the market (not my preference though). I began knitting with a sock yarn from brown sheep which was quite firm (notice I said began, I may frog it and give the 3skeins I bought to someone else). You made me giggle with your full disclosure. May I suggest a cowl for your latest creation?

Alwen said...

I prefer a crisp (some might even say hard) yarn - gee, maybe you need to send it to me! ;)

Anonymous said...

I would knit either a hat or mittens from your new handspun. Your yarn looks really good and well balanced.

This silk garden scarf looks great.

Bea

Lars said...

Lovely scarf and lovely yarn! What's that funny looking coin though? ;)

Angelika said...

Nice stuff you made there. Is the scarf very stretchy, being garder stitch and all? The lace looks great either way and your spinning is perfect.

picperfic said...

beautiful work, all of it, love the handspun!

coastergirl said...

yo...love the new yarn and the kaleidoscope...what pattern is that?

Carrie K said...

Good looking from both sides is perfect for a shawl, they both get a lot of public time. Sweet.

Handsome handspun too. Which would get worn more? Hat or scarf? It'd be good looking in both.

Sarah said...

Everything's gorgeous!

Marjorie said...

That shawl is definitely a winner. I've been mulling over patterns that look good on both sides, mostly for scarves, and I haven't even considered lace. You're sending me back to the drawing board.

Opal said...

i am constantly impressed with you handspun! it keeps getting' better and better. i can't wait to see what you're knitting with it. :)

Chelsea said...

Ohhhhhh! So pretty! I think that this would make some lovely mitts. Or a neck-warmer of some sort. It's really beautiful! And it looks so soft and squooshy. Yum! :D

Five Ferns Fibreholic said...

You're a cruel man for rubbing it in about being finished your Christmas knitting. I'm almost done!

Thanks for all the knitted eye candy. Gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

All Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

too lovely -- ok now I KNOW you gotta marry me!

(just kidding, I avoid the M word like the plague)