Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Turning the corner, or around the bend?

From Fiber Optic, Foot Notes pencil roving, 80% superwash merino/20% nylon, in the Dark Coffee colourway .... yummmm.

Should be perfect for socks. Spins up smoothly and easily.



Makes a beautiful yarn.

I love how the colours play in 3-ply.


Unfortunately, this project is a bit of a failure. The yarn came out feeling drapey instead of bouncy, perhaps because of the superwash. The bigger problem, tho, is that I likely enjoyed watching the beautiful colours too much and wasn't really paying attention. It's the most even I've been able to spin yet, but I ended up with only 209 yards. The WPI is either 17 or 12, depending on my mood when I measure it. :-) I'm quite disappointed, because I was really looking forward to knitting up these colours into some socks. They would have been glorious. Sigh.

So, spinning didn't work out the way I wanted it to, and the knitting was bleh. Time to re-group. In a comment to a previous post, Alwen suggested that one good way to get the knitting groove back is to put aside the projects that are annoying and do something completely different. In her case, the "different" was a Nielbing doily. I'm not quite that desparate. :-) Instead, I'm going to use this:

And in an even more radical departure, I'm doing this.

Yes, it's a toe. Are the two related? Maybe, maybe not.

37 people had something to say:

Bea said...

toe up :-) - you are walking new ways.
By the way: I've seen a great great way to make the turn stitches of a turned heel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu5YAKsAEpY
That was a really new way for me and it is great!

Bea

Unknown said...

The yarn is beautiful Dave!!

Charity said...

Your finished yarn is gorgeous, sorry it didn't turn out quite like you were hoping. :o)

Briley said...

I lovwe the yarn, and I know how disapointing it can be for yarn to turn out so much heavier than you hoped, but I'm sure you will find a great project for it.

fleegle said...

Gosh, Dave, the fun fur will make a lovely trimming for the socks. The resultant masterpiece will go very well with your tuxedo.

Yarndude said...

1. Your yarn (the spindle-spun) is absolutely gorgeous! You don't spin the pencil roving as is, do you? That is to say, you draft it while spinning to make it thinner, correct?

2. That fun fur both terrifies and excites me. I'm nervous (and anxious) to see what you come up with.

Marjorie said...

That yarn is so beautiful, you've got to do something with it. How about fingerless gloves or a hat?

I can't imagine what your mystery project with the fun fur might be.

tiennie said...

That yarn came out beautiful! Too bad you didn't have enough for socks but you really should still knit it up into something! I'll say it again - beautiful!

sgeddes said...

That yarn is wonderful! The colors are great and I just can't even begin to imagine doing that 3 ply on a spindle. Tremendous work!

Okay, I can't even imagine what that fun fur is for, but I'll be looking forward to seeing what you do!

Micki said...

I love the yarn! You could still do socks with contrasting cuffs, heels, and toes.

Now I need to go lie down, because the thought of knitting with fun fur is, well, horrifying. ;)

turtlegirl76 said...

Can I do the toe-up dance of joy?! Can I Can I? I'll be preparing my "I told you so jig" forthwith.

Opal said...

your yarn is gorgeous! really divine.

i'm ever so intrigued as to what you're doing with it though. don't leave me hanging! ;-)

Sarah said...

The yarn is gorgeous! I'm so sorry it didn't turn out as you want, but I hope you'll use it for something nice anyway.

sheep#100 said...

That is gorgeous yarn.

Can you pair it with something else to make enough for a pair of socks?

cynthb said...

I love the yarn, the colours are beautiful together! And toe-up is my favourite way to do socks - no more running out of yarn halfway through the toe.

Sarah said...

That yarn looks like it would make a great hat or scarf, it's beautiful!

Anonymous said...

You are a wonderful spindler, congratulations. That yarn is fabulous, and if you don't have enough for socks, you certainly have enough for mittens or a hat. Just lovely!

LaurieM said...

The yarn is so gorgeous, why not incorporate it into a pair of socks anyway? I'd think about using contrasting color for heels toes and cuffs.

What are you going to make with the fun fur? A wig, mustache or beard? tee hee...

Nana Sadie said...

toe up fuzzy foot warmers?
(((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

What ever you say, that is stunning yarn. I am in awe of your results.

I am trying my hand at spinning. It is absolutely horrible, I have no idea how to prepare the fiber so that it will spin properly. Despite that I am getting better and think I will improve in about 100 years.

Anonymous said...

Fluffy socks? :) Love the colours in your spun yarn. What a shame there isn't enough for socks. I think LaurieM's idea is a good one. That's what I'd do. :)

Jean said...

The new yarn you spun up is GORGEOUS, I love the colors, really rich, I'm sure you can find something to knit with this, or give it as a present to a fellow knitter who would love hand spun yarn. It looks like you are coming out of your funk.

Alwen said...

Even though I'm not usually big on browns, I have to say the yarn is beautiful. Beautiful.

Now my mind is totally stuck on socks with black hairy fun-fur ankles. Fanx a lot!

But seriously, thanks for the linkie!

Life's a Stitch said...

I know exactly what you mean, drapey vs bouncy. I hadn't found the word for bouncy until now.

Angelika said...

Your spinning looks so even. I'm impressed. So, what are you going to do with that fuzz yarn?

Patricia said...

Well, I for one am intrigued. As for the knitting blahs, I have the sweater blahs...
Socks are my sanity.

Jennifer said...

Well, although you weren't completely satisfied with your spinning, I think it's gorgeous! Perhaps a scarf instead of socks?

Chriss said...

Gorgeous yarn!! I love how the colours play together in a subtle way.

JessaLu said...

That is some gorgeous handspun!

Monika said...

It might be a toe but it's not for socks, right? Your yarn looks perfect for manly socks, too bad you don't have enough.

Unknown said...

The yarn came out really even. Fun Fur cuffs? Please not contrasting heels.

Teyani said...

Your spinning is looking more and more glorious every time!
too bad about the drapey-ness and the short yardage.. it will make something gorgeous though. love the colors.

gayle said...

Psst - that beautiful beautiful yarn? Selbuvotter - coffee and cream gloves...

eca said...

i love you work! i want to learn to spin.

Sir's slut said...

Wow, your hand spun is stunning! I understand your desire to make socks with it...

If only my spindle spinning was half as good as yours! I am impressed!

eca said...

okay, i saw your stuff and fell in love ... i have to ask, if i want to try drop spindles... how do you suggest i start?

Jenny said...

that is funky looking yarn. ive never seen that before.