Friday, March 17, 2006

SMAK March - done!

I love my March socks.

March SMAK socks are done! Generic made-to-measure from Emu Superwash DK, Col. No. 214 - a nice squishy yarn in beautiful blues and greys.

However, these two little fellas gave me conniptions whilst knitting them. I have lost track of the number of times I ripped out the heel and re-did it. You see, this is my first short-row heel. Yup, umpty-dozen pairs of socks and nary a short-row heel among them. Those who know me know that I'm a flap and turn kind of guy. I always * assumed * that because I had to make an unusually long heel flap that I wouldn't be able to get a short-row heel to fit. But I played and played and played some more. I finally found a ratio that works for me - a full two-thirds of the stitches are devoted to the heel, and I short row down to two inches then back up again. YAY!!

I used the Sherman method of short rows. I love it. I don't know why people futz around with yarn overs and double yarn overs and backward yarn overs and wrappings and unwrappings and whatever other contortions they can muster. It's not necessary. The Sherman short row is simple and easy. There are no holes, and there are no bumps. It is, quite simply, elegant.

While I was playing around, I thought I would try a different toe. These socks have a wide toe, i.e., two free stitches at the end of each needle whilst doing the decreases, and Stahl shaping. I love them. No squished tootsies. Wiggle room. Ahhh.

Did
I
mention
that
I
love
these
socks?


I am hoping that I'll be able to use the same short-row ratio for regular sock yarns. But first, I must continue to work on the pile of UFOs. I'm actually doing pretty good. I took a look at it, and some has been frogged and designated for other projects. I only have three or four left to go.

I think it's time for some texture. My next socks WILL be done by the end of April, and they will be made out of this:

3 people had something to say:

Tina in Wonderland said...

Those are some handsome socks with perfect heels! Great job on them!

aija said...

Delicious socks! I've been using the short row heel & toe from "Simply socks" and its not a wrap and turn either-- all of my w&t *anythings* are always holey... I wonder why w&t is so popular? It turned me off from short row heels, but its nice to have the possibility back :)

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Love the socks, they look fantastic!