Wednesday, May 17, 2006

SMAK May - done!

(Edited to replace totally crappy pictures with somewhat better but still semi-crappy pictures ... rain, rain, go away!)

My socks for the May Sock-a-month are done:

These are the Denmark socks from Nancy Bush's Knitting on the Road, done in Novita 7 Veljesta Broder, colour 7173. They are actually a nice, warm, heathered brown, but for some reason they are insisting that, photographically speaking, they are grey. I won't argue, because I am tired of arguing with them. I like them now that they're done, but I didn't enjoy knitting them.

Cabling on socks really slows you down, and it's hard to get a nice, smooth rhythm going. But the end result, in my opinion, is very handsome. I changed the heel flap to Eye of Partridge, and modified them a bit to fit my feet, but other than that they are as written.

Would you like fries or mashed with your ribs? Neither, please -- I'd rather have nupps.

A nice little detail at the top of the ribbing. But see? Grey again.

On another topic, whenever I've used Koigu before, I've always used a different yarn for the ribbing, heel and toe. So I wondered: Can I get a full sock from one skein?

Yes, I can :-) Despite about ten years of sock knitting, these are my first ever toe-ups. These are Koigu PPPM P123. I think they look very happy.

I used the easy and wonderful Magic cast-on from the recent Knitty, further refined to be knot-less by this post by the author, Judy Becker, on her blog. In the Knitty article, under the section on double points, it says, "Work step #9 by knitting ½ of the stitches using one needle and the remaining ½ of the stitches using a second needle." I found it much easier to just work them all onto one needle and then separate them by slipping half of them to the second.

I'm not yet sold on the whole toe-up routine. I don't buy the "cast on enough stitches till they fit" and "easy to try on" drill. You can't tell if they fit when they've got a bunch of needles in them. A toe is, however, an easy and potentially useful gauge swatch. I was paranoid that I'd get the heel on the wrong side, and it just felt weird to see the ribbing grow out of the leg instead of vice versa. I'll do number two and see how I feel then.

June? Yes, June is coming.

These will be finished in June.

18 people had something to say:

Anonymous said...

beautiful!!!
driftwood is on her way!

Unknown said...

gorgeous socks, Gorgeous Socks, GORGEOUS SOCKS!!! You can tell how much you are loving knitting these socks Dave. They are beautiful - your grey's are so lovely and the edging is wonderful! You must be so pleased.

Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Your socks are nicely done. Beautiful in fact! I learned toe-up [on 2 circs] so naturally it's easier for me than cuff down. Easier to try on as you go if your sock is on 2 circular needles. [16"& 24"] The cast on is alternated from 1 circ to the other until there a 8 stitches on each. Top half of sock on one and the bottom half [where the heel will go] on the other. Great for travelling on a train or airplane. Happy knitting!

aija said...

Nupps, breakfast of champions :) All look great... I've got to try the new magic cast on someday!

Jason said...

Great socks! Love the Koigu color. Boy, you got a lot going on.

HPNY KNITS said...

very cozy socks, and great pattern. I love the Koigu color. I guess over time you'll know how many stitches to make for you in the toe-up I am intrigued by it for a while now.
as far as the color of the socks- some dyes simply do not photograph the same way you see them.

Karen said...

Great socks! I haven't tried cables on socks yet because I picture them taking me forever and a day to finish, as I am not a very fast knitter. But I really like how they look though.

cauchy09 said...

Wow! All of your socks look really great. Congratulations!

Calvin said...

Hey, Dave. Nice socks. What are nupps?

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the toe-up thing. I just think it's so satisfying to graft the toe at the end! Your package is winging it's way to you now, it took a little 2 day detour, but now it's on its way!!!

Turtle Runner said...

The Denmark socks are beautiful! Very inspiring for this novice sock knitter.

lexa said...

Gorgeous Denmarks! That Koigu is a mighty nice color, too. I need to practice short-row heels more before I try the toe-up thing again! There's at least four patterns or so I want to make that are toe-up.

Anonymous said...

Wow, those Denmark socks turned out great. I love the cables. Definitely worth the extra work. I've been thinking about trying this sock pattern and your socks have convinced me. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Quick, Dave, how many stitches did you end up with for the "yes I can make a whole sock from one skein of Koigu" sock? I want to knit top down, so don't dare guess wrong. . . I'm thinking I can do it with 64 sts, but thought it would make sense to check with someone who's already done the research.

no blog -- billeliz @ cavtel dot net

Dave said...

Yes, 64 is what I used, on 2.5 needles, which gives me 8.5 sts/inch, 9 inch foot from toe tip to back of heel, short row heel over 42 sts down to 16 and back up again, 9 inch leg from floor to cuff top with 2 inches ribbing for cuff. Does that help? :-)

Jay said...

Oh my, such beautiful socks. The eye of partridge has me in awe - where the heck did you learn to do that?! And the ribs... I just want to tickle them (I couldn't resist!).
The socks for June look wonderful too. What is this sock-along that you have joined all about and where is it and does one have to be a Naturist to join, or is that just a perk?

Anonymous said...

Dave! So nice to find your blog...how are you and I hope you received your yarn! Your knitting is fabulous!
~Roxanne~

Melissa Barton said...

Dave, I've loved knitting these Nancy Bush socks a couple of times. Everything from cashmerino to Cascade 220. Lovely example!