Monday, September 04, 2006

Amazing Lace - le Grand Finis!

Turns out this has been rather a busy weekend.



The Amazing Lace has finished, and I won the Grand Prize!! Thank you, Rachel and Theresa! I'm still a little bit in shock. I'm glad the results were determined by a random number generator rather than based by skill or, ahem, completion, because I still haven't finished my Swallowtail shawl. I've been stuck on a certain fives row, having reknit them now three or four times. But I will finish it -- and now I'm even more motivated. I got to choose which prize I wanted, and I picked the Helen's Laces from Lorna's Laces! I'm not going to tell you which colour I chose - yet. But I can tell you that a certain pattern arrived in my mail box not too long ago that I think will be perfect for this yarn. It's a bit of a stretch for my skills at the moment, but if I can conquer the butterfly, I can conquer this:


Yup, it's a dragon! I guess I have a thing for pictorial lace. This was designed by Sharon Winsauer of Aurora Alpacas. I am a bit scared of him, though, because the pattern is labelled "challenging." Yikes! Having read over the pattern, I can understand why. Well, we shall see. After all, it's all just one stitch after another one, right? But no starting him until the butterfly is done. No, no starting. Done first. Butterfly, finished. Completed. Blocked and all. Do Not Start Until Butterfly is Finished.

Now that The Amazing Lace and the Trek-a-Long are finished, all sorts of new things are starting up this fall.

Suzie has started Round 2 of the Knitters Tea Swap. This was a lot of fun last time, and I'm delighted to join up again. Sipping tea and knitting away on a dragon butterfly -- what could be more fun?

I've also signed up for a brand new swap started by the energetic and industrious Abigail -- the Chocolate Swap. Yummy!! Chocolate, in either solid or liquid form, and chocolate-coloured yarn -- this one sounds like a lot of fun too.

I've also joined a new knit-a-long, the Black Bunny Hopalong. You can make anything you want, using any of Carol's beautiful yarns. I just might be making yet another pair of socks.


So, what are you up to this fall?

24 people had something to say:

lexa said...

Congrats on the win! The new dragon pattern looks awesome! Can't wait to see that completed. (Tho I know it will be some time! Butterfly first!)

Michelle said...

That dragon shawl is incredible! Don't be intimidated because it's labeled "challenging." You'll be fine. Now, how do I get this pattern? I went to Aurora Alpacas website and didn't see it listed there.

Jason said...

Congratulations!!! I am so happy that you won. :-)

"Heere Be Dragone" looks absolutely fantastic!

Cindy said...

Isn't it lovely to win? I do want to suggest that you might be a bit of an overachiever. Two swaps and a KAL. Sheesh.

Meg said...

I was so pleased to see that the grand prize winner in the Amazing Lace was someone whose blog I discovered as a result of TAL! Congratulations!!

aija said...

Congrats on the win! The dragon pattern is TOO cool.

Valerie Polichar said...

Congrats on the good luck with Amazing Lace. I'm sure you'll finish the Swallowtail now.. we'll all make fun of you if you don't.

Actually, that's a pattern I've been thinking of attempting myself, so I'm eager to see how yours turns out.

I can see how seductive the dragon is, though!

Abigail said...

You are too kind to me, thank you.

Congrats on your win! You are the lucky guy this year.

Good luck on finishing that beautiful green shawl. I can't wait to see you model it!!!!

Anonymous said...

you just had to mention that chocolate swap! i've been so good about staying away from swaps and KALs (races don't count . . .). i mean, i'm not a chocolate fiend or maven or even a big fan, but as soon as i read that, my mouth strted watering. i think it is the idea of maybe getting some awesome chocolate from like germany or switzerland.
or maybe i'll just go get some from the fridge.

Sonya said...

Congratulations on the Amazing Lace win, Dave! The dragon pattern is amazing. But finish butterfly first. No, really, finish butterfly first.

Leanne said...

Congrats on the win! That dragon shawl looks wonderful. You really must finish the butterfly first, as a half-grown butterfly would stand no chance against a dragon. At least a full-grown butterfly has a hope of flying away.

For the first time in months I have no big project on the needles. I have finished the three things I had on the go. I haven't made a final decision of what to do next.

Nora said...

YEEEHAAAAAAA - U WON!
Uummm... haven't we had this conversation? I clearly recall leaving another 'YEEEHAAAAA - U WON' comment on this blog. Did u win twice? Have I missed something? Dave? What's going on? Never mind... YEEEHAAAA... blah blah... xx

Karen said...

I was so excited for you when I read the Amazing Lace blog and saw you had won the grand prize!!! Wow, that dragon shawl is so impressive - you can totally knit it!! (I don't see why you can get started on it while you finish the butterfly *evil grin*)

Wendy Merganser said...

Congratulations!

Hey, have you considered giving out lottery numbers on your blog? You seem to be lucky enough...

:-)

ax174 said...

Let me add my congratulations too. And also, as Michelle asks, where can I get a copy of that awesome dragon shawl pattern?

Unknown said...

Once again you are leading me down the knitting path. I had already signed up for the tea swap, thinking in the back of my head: "no new swaps. no new swaps" But NoooOOOOOoooo you HAD to mention chocolate didn't you? And yep, I put my name in for that one too.... Sigh

Anonymous said...

Congrats on winning!

The dragon shawl is going to be gorgeous :o) You can do it - just go step by step ;o)

I refuse to do any more swaps...but I can't say why in 'publick'... ;o)

Ramona said...

Congrats on the win and thanks for the reminder ablout the tea swap.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

Oooh, that dragon shawl pattern looks positively splendid. You'll do it proud, you know you will.

Marlene said...

Congratulations on your win.

PUHleeese tell me where you found the pattern for the dragon shawl. It is spectacular!

Kirsten said...

Congratulations on winning the big prize Dave! And good luck resisting the lure of that dragon!!
Thanks for the tip on all of the good swaps. I might have to join a few of those myself.

Lacefreak said...

Congratulations on winning! Your knitting is most impressive and I agree that you deserve that win! I've no doubt you will finish the butterfly, but I must admit to being smitten by that dragon shawl too! My neice would love it so I will grovel very nicely and ask you where were able to buy it.I went to the site you list but it doesn't say anything about where to obtain it. Of course, it's just more torture for me, but then you understand the subtle S&M quality of this type of knitting. Once again, Bravo!

Stacey said...

Wow - that is beautiful!!!

Thanks for the info on the alongs - I'm always looking for new ones!

Wendy said...

Congrats on the win!!

Wendy