Monday, August 28, 2006

SAM 2 August - done!

August has certainly been a good month loot-wise. I wish my knitting was as productive as my mail box :-)

Before I can start talking about SAM 2, I must tell you that I won one of the "surprise" prizes in the first go-round! Wanna see what I got? Of course you do.

Very cool indeed. Thanks, Chrissy, and I'm very happy you decided to continue for another six months. I've enjoyed seeing all the wonderful socks that people have been making, and it's really helped me keep on track. At least I'm getting a pair of socks finished every month!

I also won a contest over that crankygrrrrrl had a while ago. (She's not really cranky at all; she's quite nice and a lot of fun! And she got a very cool birthday present -- you should go look.) Wanna see what I got? Of course you do.


Also very cool indeed. Thanks, cranky :-) I've recently started a pair of socks in Cherry Tree Hill, and I can see it becoming one of my favourites. Their potlucks are fun. Interestingly, this colourway is marked "water". They must have some strange water down there in Vermont.

You may have noticed that I also succumbed to a couple more of those extremely expensive "knitting stands." I had to go back and get a purple one and an orange one. I did show some restraint ... the Barbie pink and screaming yellow ones remained to grace the shelves. Yes, my name is Dave, and I am a Doodad Doofus.

In the Other News Department, I lost a toe. Maybe you know where it is? Please don't say it's at the end of my foot, because I'm talking about a sock toe. I'm sure I saw one that had you graft the final stitches vertically rather than horizontally. The band made by the decreases carried right across the toe. I can't find it now. I thought it was in one of Nancy Bush's books, but if it's there, I can't see it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Finally, here it is, my August sock. You'll be sorry you read all the way down here just to see these, because I think this yarn has made an appearance here more than any other. I was hoping to get another Trek-along out of these, but it just didn't work out that way. After carrying them around with me everywhere I went for the last six weeks, I finally finished my Trekking socks!

29 people had something to say:

Anonymous said...

dave hav you checked elizabeth zimmermann for that toe, or mary thomas (she has a bunch of cool stuff in her old books). and my ohter thought would be the vintage socks book . .
if you don't have those books, let me know and i will get off my butt and go look in my copies!

CelticCastOn said...

*drools* loooooove that cherry tree hill colourway, its yumdiddlyutious!!!
Have no idea'r about the toe you speak of, but if you find it fill us in, it sounds interesting!

aija said...

funky agua, indeed!

the toe isn't the french toe in nancy bush, is it? its not grafted but a "heart of a blossom" (pull thru final sts on needle & cinch)-- its done w/ 6 sts decreased eor and one band ends up across the top of the toe (or bottom).

yay for sock a month! i think this may be the 1st month i don't complete a sock pair :)

Karen said...

Your socks are cool - and I'm never sorry I read all the way down your posts. :)

Anonymous said...

Your socks, as always, are inspiring!

earthchick said...

Gorgeous socks! Yummy Cherry Hill! Great doodads!

And ditto Karen about reading your posts. ;)

Anonymous said...

Great job on the socks! Sorry, can't be any help on the toe, but I'm relieved you weren't referring to some horrible scissors accident or something, lol!

Wendy Merganser said...

Dude, I thought you literally lost a toe. Clearly I've been watching too many horror movies. And irrationally, I thought, "hmmm if its his big toe, I wonder if he'll have to change the way he knits his socks?"

Perhaps I should put down the Adirondack Lager before reading any more blogs. I'm glad you still have all your pieces parts!

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave! I was googling for Knitty's "Starsky" when I came upon your blog. You have been making some fantastic socks and I'm so glad I found your blog!

Valerie Polichar said...

Your comment on the 'water' colorway made me laugh out loud. Indeed!

lexa said...

Love your August socks! Those little "yarn" baskets are cool. One of our local dollar stores had them last year around Christmas time, but they had little cutsie pictures on one side. I had a couple for the boys, but I think they broke them. I never thought of using them for yarn. I hope they get them back again!

Meg said...

How will you choose which doodad to use with which project?! Both the new ones pick up the colours in your Cherry Tree Hill 'Water' colourway so nicely!

jdenslow said...

Off Topic...

Thanks for the "Garterlac Dishcloth" pattern! I just finished my first one and posted the results on my blog. I had been drooling over an enterlac stole I saw in a LYS and your pattern showed up when I 'googled' for more information on the technique. I appreciate the introduction a lot...I learned so much on this one.

Anonymous said...

Lucky you! That's some mighty fine loot!

I was out shopping today, just hoping I'd run into some bins like yours. (Mostly though, I was buying new jeans and such for the kids.) I love the new colors you've added.

Anonymous said...

i'm so glad you liked the CTH! and sorry about the toe you lost. it doesn't sound familiar to me from the nancy bush books i have...goodluck finding it. ;)

Unknown said...

Gush! Gush! Those socks are great! You do a mahhhhvolus job darlink!!
I have one of the knitting dodads...Ive carried it around for almost 14 years to 3 apartments, through the one (and only)marriage, explained to my knitting niece why she couldnt have it, and it sits next to me reading about "The kids" (orange, green and purple) we are soooo proud... LOL

Sarah said...

Would you believe I actually have Knitting Vintage Socks in my purse? I think the toe you're talking about is the Wide Toe (I think it's the one used in the Gentleman's Fancy Socks). The toe instructions on are page 23 in KVS, if it's the right one.

Teri.p said...

Most excellent socks, Dave! I'm anxious to see how that Vermont Water looks when knit up, too.

Anonymous said...

I'm scratching my head about the "water", too. Beautiful yarn, though, and I can't wait to see what you knit with it. Love the new Trekking socks (and I take my hat off to you for diligently knitting both)!

turtlegirl76 said...

I recently started a pair of sock out of CTH as well and wow - I'm sold. I love the way the colors ebb and flow. And nevermind the buttery softness!

Anonymous said...

Love the LL yarn. Have not seen that color before. I have to say though that I'm jealous of the "sock knitting stands". You'll have to tell - what's the name of the store? BTW love reading your blog just don't often comment.

kathy b said...

The Cherry Tree Hill WATER is so lovely. Can you make a pair of socks with one skein? I see the yarns for about 18.95 a skein.

HPNY KNITS said...

Ive gotten some Cherry Tree Hill recently and I like it too! I don't get the name, but I love the colorway. Yaaaaaaaaaa for the trekking socks!! great colorway as well, perfect for the soon to arrive fall.
time for a new sock circle!
:-)

Charles said...

DAVE!! IT IS SUCH AGREAT GREAT SOCKS!!!Lovly Cherry Tree Hill socks yarn and you made such wonderful sock!!!

VISIT MY BLOG SOMETIME!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I really like the way you write and your socks are fab. You've given me lots of fodder for new techniques. You don't have to be a lone knitter. A group of us meet at Bridgehead on 3rd Ave in the Glebe the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month. By the way, Butterfly 10 is available at Wool-tyme on Colonnade Rd. and if you like Fleece Artist, Wool n' things in Orleans has tons.

Zonda said...

Gorgeous colors in there! Nice work, and so glad you didn't "lose" your own toe! :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulation on your prizes! If I ever get to Vermont, I´ll be sure not to drink the water :) Great socks BTW!

OzKnitter said...

Hi

You're thinking of the wide toe in KVS. The instructions on pg 23 aren't as detailed as those given on pg 83 (for the Gentleman's Fancy Sock). So, take a look at pg 83 which tells you to kitchener with the stitches on needles 1 & 3.

Hope this helps.

Ev said...

It's also the toe finishing used in most of the Regia leaflets and sock books. I've used it in a couple of socks I've made and love the look of the finished sock. Let me know if I can help in any way.