Sunday, December 17, 2006

December Socks - Done!

December is usually a busy month round here, so I knew that if I was to have a finished pair of socks this month, I'd have to use a thicker yarn.


Aqua, blue, charcoal & rust -- Hello Yarn Fat Sock -- 100% superwash Merino -- totally yummy.

A quick knit, soft, warm thick --no weird pooling or flashing -- just semi-stripey goodness.


They'd be perfect for a Canadian winter, except --

-- we don't really quite have winter yet. Despite the storms happening elsewhere, it looks like it could well be be a green Christmas here, as evidenced by this pic of the grass out front. I'm not complaining, though, because ....

In the Other News Department:

Christmas has come early! Look at this gorgeous yarn I won in a contest from Simply Socks! Schaefer Anne, in the Gertrude Ederle colourway! Thanks, Allison -- it's beautiful!


And my yarn has arrived from the Amazing Lace contest!

It's Helen's Lace, 50% wool, 50% silk, in the Pewter colourway. This is destined to become the Heere Be Dragone shawl .... umm, eventually. Thanks, Rachel!

I think I'll use the rest of the month to clear up some other little projects I've had on the go for a while, and I need some new slippers, so some felted clogs may well be in the future as well. And while I'm felting anyway, I might as well do the ... guess it never ends, eh. :-)

Happy holidays, everyone!


35 people had something to say:

earthchick said...

Ooooh, love that Helen's Lace. YUM!!!

And the other yarn and the socks are gorgeous too!

Anonymous said...

The "Hello Yarn" socks are beautiful - Doesn't she do a wonderful dye job? I just bought her acid dye kit with some merino wool and hope to give it a try soon...should be intersting!

Anonymous said...

ooops- interesting

sheep#100 said...

Oh, lucky you!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE those socks! Looking at the picture of the unknit yarn I didn't really think it would make the sort of socks I'd like, but the finished product looks fantastic!

So glad the Helen's Lace finally made its way to you. That's the colorway I would have chosen, too.

Terri said...

The new yarns are lovely and the socks look great too. It's always a green Christmas in my part of the world. :o) Yuletide blessings to you!

LaurieM said...

Like the stripey socks. I didn't like the look of the skein to be honest, but I do like the sock. Sometimes there's no predicting!

Enjoy your warm weather. A week after London had the big snow day, only some baby drifts were left. Weird.

sweetfigs said...

love those new socks. what heel did you use?

HPNY KNITS said...

Dec socks are great, but they are not wintery, actually, they are very summery, which is good if the grass is green! same here in NYC. great loot from everywhere!

Valerie Polichar said...

Ooh, thanks for posting all the yarn p0rn! And great socks too. Have a great holiday!

Anonymous said...

Ooooh you're a smart man Dave - thick yarn/quick sock. Why didn't I think of that...

The Lorna's/Helen's Lace is divine - I've used Pewter in the sock weight and am happy to report NO pooling/flashing (for a change)! Just beautiful, SUBLIME variegated goodness... aaaaaahhhhh.

Have a good one. x

Anonymous said...

Great socks! I would never be so lucky as to get that nice striping on both feet -- I'd probably get all excited when that happened on the first foot, and then wind up with horrible pooling on the second. You must have good sock karma!

Stacey said...

I love fat sock yarn! DK socks rule! you almost don't remember knitting them they go so fast! The colors are beautiful - she does a great job.

Nice new yarn haul - big winner!!!

CelticCastOn said...

NOOOOO dave! its going to snow christmas eve and we WILL have a white christmas :) Then it came leave after that heheh
Love the socks! I haven't had time for much knitting at the moment but I think I need a simple pair of socks to knit on during christmas!

turtlegirl76 said...

The socks are fabulous! I love that they striped without pooling anywhere.

Anonymous said...

Love the socks - and the Schaefer yarn is soooo yummy! Thicker weight socks are sooo fast - easy - and self gratifying.
good job!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
aija said...

Happy holidays to you, too! :) I love the small striping on your socks, very nice.

Nana Sadie said...

Gorgeous yarns, gorgeous socks! Wow! Happy Christmas...
(((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

Man, I'm jealous of all your gorgeous yarn. Those socks are fantastic, too! What a perfect heel you knit...ah.

lexa said...

Love the striping on the socks! Gorgeous new yarns, too. I have two pairs of felted clogs to make for Christmas gifts. I just started making those a couple of months ago. They're fast and fun!

BEESTLYproducts said...

Yeah, it hasn't been cold yet here in NJ either.... It's kind of dissapointing :-( your sox look fab!!

limedragon :-: Harriet said...

We don't have snow here in MN either. It's weird. I'm hoping the storm forecasted for Friday will deliver. I'll have to check out that Fat Sock soon, looks yummy (and so do your other new arrivals). :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, just what does the jet stream think it's up to? It's green in Canada in December and here in the desert I might have to give in and buy a winter coat it's so damn cold.
Beautiful job on the socks!
I have a skein or two of the Helen's Lace, one is pewter. I am still pondering over it. ;-)

Meg said...

Fat sock yarn - now that is something I ought to try! Socks look fab! And yes you are a sock knitting MACHINE I don't care what you say.

Jennifer said...

That pewter colorway is so gorgeous! Nice socks too.

Have a peaceful holiday.

Anonymous said...

I saw those socks and got a case of insta-lust ;o) I love the mini-stripes!

Oh and the yarn is just yummy ;o)

Kim said...

Impressive, as always! I just started socks with Anne - It is absolutely wonderful to knit with!
By the way, let's be thankful for the weather (MI). We'll probably have snow until July : (

Anonymous said...

Smart thinking, using the thicker yarn for your sock knitting during the busy season. The colors knitted in a nice even pattern.

Can't offer you any snow for the holidays, but there's plenty of rain around here I can send your way. :)

Anonymous said...

the HBDS will look gorgeous in the Helen's Lace--such a lovely color. Yah for you winning the beautiful sock yarn!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Dave!