Sunday, March 25, 2007

SAM3 - March - done!

It`s been a busy month, with not much time for fibery fun, but I did manage to get my March socks finished, thanks to a couple of DVDs last evening.


I used a new-to-me yarn, and it's Canadian! Similar to another well-known Canadian yarn, this has short bursts of colour.
This is the Winter`s Dawn colourway.


The unusual fibre content initially caused me a little bit of grief gauge-wise. My first attempt was too large, as the yarn doesn`t really scrootch down as much as an all-wool yarn would. My second attempt was too small, as the yarn doesn`t really stretch as much as an all-wool yarn would. But my third attempt -- just right!

Although I found the yarn to be a little bit splitty in places, and a little bit underspun in other places, I love -- LOVE! -- how the colours came out.


The fabric feels absolutely scrumptious and has a terrific sheen to it.



I haven`t had a chance to wash them yet, but it will be interesting to see if the yarn blooms at all, given the mohair content. And, with the mohair, silk and nylon, I fully expect these to last a long, long, long time.


In the Other News Department, I had originally planned to do a nice, thick, cabled, wool scarf for the International Scarf Exchange 4 . Then I got my partner`s info, and she lives in a climate that probably wouldn`t really warrant such a beast. Time to revamp. I`m thinking I`ll try something with these.

55 people had something to say:

Julie said...

The socks are just fab, love those colors. I can't wait to see what you knit for the scarf exchange. I had someone in Australia the last time I did that and had to revamp my plan for a toasty warm scarf as well.

Laura said...

OMG! Those socks are gorgeous! I love those colors.

bunchkin said...

Fabulous socks! Good Luck with the beads. :-)

Ashley said...

That yarn sounds scrumptious--koigu+bearfoot+lorna'+ SILK!--and I love the colorway.

CynCyn said...

your Goldilocks socks (this needle was too big, this needle was too small... :) look beautiful, great colors. As for ISE, the beads of the earth scarf from scarf style was a great (and easy) knit, and my version was much prettier than the book's not so appetizing example.

Marina said...

Gorgeous socks! Love how the colours came out. Oh my, the beads look too dainty!

canknitian said...

Lovely socks! Thanks for the tip on another great Canadian yarn.

bonitapita said...

That really is great yarn and those are great socks.

Chrissy said...

Lookin' good! It is so nice to see that yarn knit up. I've been contemplating picking some up.

christine (threedogknits) said...

Love the socks. Great colors!

JessaLu said...

Gorgeous sockage! I love that colorway!

Alyson said...

Oooh, lovely - I love how the colors knit up...I need to break out my skeins soon!

Marlene said...

The socks look great Dave. I'll have to find some of that yarn!

I used those beads in combination with handpainted tencel laceweight and it made a gorgeous Feather and Fan Shawl. I'll be watching to see what you come up with.

Kris said...

Great socks - and thanks for the yarn review!

Unknown said...

I love Apple Laine's yarns. I'm knitting a sample for her and (don't tell Cindy) but maybe I should be paying her!

Pat said...

Now that is some pretty yarn - thanks for the sock close ups!!
I'll be looking forward to seeing what you do with those beads...

Jennifer said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous socks!

Gingersnaps with Tea... said...

Those socks are great! I love that the colour is speckled not stripey it looks like flecks of sunlight through the trees. The fiber content in them sounds very luxurious as well.

LaurieM said...

Very pretty socks. I've given up to using 100% merino in socks. It's nice to see a long-wearing alternative to the favorite take the stage.

Abigail said...

I agree the socks are fabby! Just right for spring.

Have fun with the beads. The blues are very nice.

Angelika said...

I wonder what you might come up with using those beads. Keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

Oh my golly, that yarn is a fabulous color! Great looking socks!

schrodinger said...

Wow, that yarn is just gorgeous, what great socks it makes. Shame it was a bit of pain to knit with, but it looks like it was worth it.

Opal said...

Those socks look the picture of decadence. So soft and buttery. I look forward to seeing what you do with the beads!

Karen said...

I really like the colorway of that yarn. Awesome socks!

Stacey said...

what great colors - I love that they are short bursts and didn't pool at all!

Marjorie said...

Those colors are beautiful. When I saw the photo (before reading the description), I thought the yarn might be Brooks Farm since the colors are similar to one of their colorways (but not for sock yarn).

I'm eager to see what you do with the beads.

Unknown said...

Well I agree with the gang. The socks are amazing! And I am in a similar predicament with my ISE4 pal. Let me know what you come up with. I'll have to do something with all this laceweight yarn I have anyway.

EvaLux said...

The socks are gorgeous!!! I'm working with the same yarn (different color) for my Sockret Pal, and I must say I'm not too happy with it so far. My first skein had 13 splices in it!!! Sometimes there was not even a yard of yarn between 2 splices. I'm putting off starting the second sock because of this. I also had trouble... a 2mm needle's too fine, but with a 2.25 mm needle I'm considering the fabric too loosey-goosey. Ah well, I hope my pal likes them :)
Gorgeous beads :)

cheers Eva

KnittyOtter said...

Oooo love those socks! Tell us if they bloom when you wash them. The colors are supper yummy either way. :D

Unknown said...

I just bought some of that yarn (solid red, solid dark brown, and semi-solid lavender), and haven't had a chance to knit it up yet. Your socks look great - now I can't wait to try it myself!

nova said...

That yarn (aside from the splittiness) sounds like a dream, and the colorway is fanatastic. You will have to let us (or at least me) know if the yarn bloom after the socks soak, now I am curious... Great socks!

froggiemeanie said...

I saw that yarn at the K/W Knitter's Fair last year and decided to wait to hear from someone about it before giving it a try. Thanks for the review. The colours are great. I'll get some next time I see it!

lexa said...

I love the new socks! What a nice colorway!

A friend of mine from town is in the scarf exchange, too. She has to change her plans, too. Her pal is in Australia! (Now she's on the search for something lacey.)

tiennieknits said...

Great socks! Those colors are fantastic.

Stacy said...

I love the color on those socks - they look wonderful!

Carrie said...

Wow, great socks! May they serve you well.... =) A beaded scarf? Sounds very pretty, too. Can't wait to see what you do!

sheep#100 said...

That is a great and wonderful colorway!

Makes me wish I wasn't allergic to mohair...

Carrie K said...

Oooh, beads! I can't wait to see what the ISE looks like.

Those socks are gorgeous! The Goldilocks of the yarn world, eh? ;)

Angela said...

Love the colors of this yarn. Nice to see examples of what they look like knit up. Your socks look great:) Can't wait to see how you use those beads.

Ang

limedragon :-: Harriet said...

These are great socks! Love the variegation. Can't wait to see what you use the beads with. :)

Artis-Anne said...

Oh what a lovely yarn and great socks too :)

Kathy said...

I love those socks, too. I can only imagine how great they look in person.

fleegle said...

Those are fabulous colors! I bought two skeins but haven't had a chance to knit them up. Glad you were the designated penguin on this one!

Anonymous said...

Dave, your socks are fab! The colourway you used is so nice - I like short colour runs for the excellent mix that you achieve. Good job getting them done for March - mine are still hopefuls :).

Rachel said...

Wow, fantastic on so many levels! How wonderful to finish a satisfying pair of socks and know that you're going to get years of use out of them. It almost makes me wish for a few more chilly days for you before spring arrives for good. Almost.

Knit Picking said...

My Applelaine socks have been my favourite from the moment I finished them (see Jan. 21 post). The sheen still looks amazing, and the yarn got softer, and a bit of fluff after it got washed. I like your coloway better than mine though. Not enough changes in the colour. I also had to deal with the split factor, but it was well worth it.

JudyB said...

Love the yarn! Love, love, love, it! Where can I get some? I don't have nearly enough sock yarn. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it!)

Dave, I can't comment as myself any more. I have to log on with a blogger account? But I'm not a blogger who blogs on blogger!

Teyani said...

I agree with Jessie, that the yarn combo in those socks seems pretty wonderful (and warm!)
scrumptious colors, truly.
beads?.. teensy, tiny, itsy bitsy beads? oh my.

Sassy Knitter said...

I love your blog site. I have looked at 100's of knitting blogs and you are my favorite.

I am still new to the blog world, so mine is in the making.

I love your work and seing what new things you are working on!

I have a Himmy too! In fact I have 2. A Blue point and a seal point!!

I am getting ready to start 2 new socks . One with Sweet Georgia and the other with Cherry Tree Hill. I start this weekend!!

Have fun with the beads.

Lynn said...

I have yet to see a pair of socks that you've made and I havent liked.... Fantastic job as always.

Terri said...

Love LOVE those socks - the colours are beautiful. What is the brand/label for this yarn? I have a dear friend who lives near Toronto, so I might ask her to look out for this yarn for me. If your scarf swap person lives in Australia, it would depend upon which part of Australia as to whether a toasty warm scarf would be appreciated. Anywhere in the northern half, perhaps not, but anywhere in the southern regions and they'd probably be grateful for a toasty warm scarf for winter.

bj the knit newbie said...

Hi Dave,

I read your blog quite a lot but this is my first comment.

I'm a first timer in ISE4!! Are you my secret pal??? :-) Can't wait to see what you make!!

Terby said...

Beautiful socks! I really like the effect of the short color repeats.

earthchick said...

Oooooh, pretty, pretty socks!