Monday, November 12, 2007

Norovember Scarf


One ball.


Two balls.


Three balls.


Four balls.


1 x 1 rib till the cows come home.


Easy peasey.


More fun than should be legal.


Silk Garden 230 & 208.


The Noro Striped scarf, as popularized by Brooklyn Tweed.


Go make one.


The hardest part is trying to winnow down the 237 pictures you'll take.

72 people had something to say:

Paula said...

Your Noro is a knockout.

Virtuous said...

As you know I just LUV Noro!!

Happy NOROvember!! :oD

Chelle said...

Absolutely gorgeous!

Michelle said...

Wow, Dave, the scarf looks great! I love all the colors.

Anonymous said...

Beautifully done!

Anonymous said...

HA HA! I have the same problem with my photos! ;-)

My favorite stiching for scarves is rib 1/1, because it makes perfectly reversible scarves.

That yarn is perfect for the project!

I bet that scarf is so warm! :-)

Debi said...

No wonder you were interested in my softening method :)

It's stunning Dave!

Anonymous said...

Aaaaah, lovely Mr D!

Micki said...

Gorgeous! Every version of this I see makes me think, "I must make one." Watching the stripes develop has got to make all that 1 x 1 bearable. :)

HPNY KNITS said...

what a great Norovember color extravaganza! the more pics the better. I have been wanting to make one. its picking the colors that's hard...
love your choices.

Anonymous said...

Such wonderful colors and pics!! I've also been working on one of these. I'm getting the idea that this is one of those projects, where you want to make like 9 of them, just to see how all the colors will interact.

230 & 208=fabulous.

turtlegirl76 said...

It's like painting with yarn! Wonderful scarf.

Sarah said...

Gorgeous! I'd love one, although I don't I could keep up the 1x1 rib for that long.

sheep#100 said...

Yike, that's a lot of Norovember knitting already. Looks nice.

Anonymous said...

My goodness, it is beautiful! And I love the post title!

judy said...

That was FUN! It looks like forever.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes - I DO need to make one of those!!

lexa said...

Very nice! Lovely colors. :)

Anonymous said...

That is so much fun I can hardly stand it! I am already thinking about how I can get a version on the needles *today*.

Yankee Girl ~ Missy said...

Dave! That is absolutely beautiful! I love the colors!

bonitapita said...

OH! And my LYS is having a sale on Noro! Perfect! Thanks!

Eric & Tony said...

Way cool and totally awesome and stuff and things.

Seriously, the scarf is really nice. Warm and stylish just in time.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful scarf - the colors of noro in that pattern really mesh well together!

limedragon :-: Harriet said...

Breathtaking! I love the color combinations. : )

Macoco said...

That's such a great scarf! I love those stripes and all of the colors together.

Beth said...

Since I seem to be on a Brooklyn Tweed kick, maybe I will make one too. :)

I'd never have put those colors together - you've got an eye for that kind of thing.

Jason said...

Beautiful! And looking so soft. I may give it a try now that I can purl continental style. 1x1 ribbing the whole scarf would kill me doing English knitting.

237 pictures?!? It must be fun taking pictures with the light box. :-)

Monika said...

I think this is a hilarious post. It really IS hard to narrow it down to a few pictures. :o) I'm thinking of knitting a scarf like this too. I'm feeling a visit to the LYS coming on.

Marlene said...

That is on my list to make some day too --- even though I live in a climate where warm scarves are rarely necessary.

LaurieM said...

Welcome to the Bandwagon! Jump on! There's always room for more. :-)

Do you get to keep this lovely? Mine is an X-mas gift, so I may have to make another. Poor me. heh.

knottykitty said...

Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!! Did I say it's gorgeous?

I'd love to make one--I haven't been inspired to make a scarf in ages, but this one did it!

However, for those of us who are admittedly a little slow...if you use 4 different skeins, do you only alternate them two at a time? I've never made an alternating color project before, so just curious...:)

Susan said...

Thanks for fanning the flame! I came across this scarf a while ago on someone's blog... not Jared's, and have lusted it since. Yours is lovely.

Chelsea said...

Mmmmmm.... purty! :)

Kyle William said...

love this scarf... but I'm confused.. is the pattern anywhere other than on brooklyntweed's site? I don't get how to change from one color to the next - do you cut the yarn every 2 rows? help :)

Frieda said...

Love it !! I keep admiring this scarf whenever I see it pop up on the net , but the thought of 1X1 rib for at least 48 " makes my brain hurt . Kudos on another great knit !

Norma said...

Waaaaaaah, I'm now suffering from grass-is-always-greener syndrome. I LOVE your colorways. LOVE. They are what I envisioned for mine. And I like mine, but I LOVE yours.

Jennifer said...

I love that scarf! It's beautiful.

Carol said...

As my friend would say, fabu!!! I love those colors and wish it were cold enough here to jump on that bandwagon! Wait! There's always Red Scarf!!! Thank you for the next RS!!!

Anonymous said...

A project like that had better be fun in some respect to make up for that endless 1x1 ribbing. The colors alone are probably enough to make up for it, though. It looks great!

Gina said...

That scarf is beautiful. I think maybe Santa should bring me a light box so I can take pretty pictures like that too!

Leigh said...

I'm not often tempted to knit scarves, but this one is definitely a must knit! I can see that the color changes will keep me entertained for hours.

Lacefreak said...

Love the colors! It's a wonderful scarf and I know you will wear it well!

ladyoftheloom said...

Now those stripes I like!

Sarah said...

That's incredible. So simple yet so... incredible!

BEESTLYproducts said...

i was trying to boycott the noro scarf, but i think yours is the straw that broke the camel's back.... guess i'll go order some now.

Opal said...

I can just imagine the fun you had with the scarf, your camera, and the light tent. Good times. :)

Unknown said...

Love the scarf! Great photos too!

~Kristie said...

After seeing yours, I'm feeling a bit more tempted. It's nice!! Are you keeping it or giving it away for a holiday gift?

bunchkin said...

Those colors are fabulous! I can't get enough stripey Noro scarves, and yours is great!

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes I think I will go and make one. Yours is brilliant. I love the colors you chose, Dave!

Anonymous said...

well, THANKS A LOT, Dave. Like I didn't have enough things on my totally unrealistic "projects in mind" list. Now this. [sigh]. (seriously, though, it's freaking beautiful! soooo nice!)

Anonymous said...

Hey, the scarf looks amazing.. great job!!

Some of us were just talking about this scarf the other evening at Knit Night... it seems to be popping up in blogs and conversations everywhere.

Marjorie said...

That scarf looks great--and I love how the colors play out. I saw it on Brooklyn Tweed and printed the post so I could try it some time.

Anonymous said...

Dave, this is absolutely gorgeous!
Great job with your colors, they work well together. That 1x1 ribbing really does go on forever, but the color effect must be, as you say, fun to knit.

Ang

Anonymous said...

Even looking at the pictures will allmost keep you warm in the winter! Beautiful!

Charles said...

Oh Dave~~
Thats long ass NORO scarf!!! HAHAHA How many mile to go?

ALSO CAN I ASK YOUR FLOAVOR!
Visit my knitting blog.. see what you think and comment me!

Thanks~~
Charles

schrodinger said...

That must've been so much fun seeing those colours change as you knit. Very nice.

Unknown said...

Wow, that's beautiful! I love it.

Anonymous said...

Swoon.

Carrie said...

Wow. That looks totally excellent. Now I want to go make one =)

monica said...

That is a great looking scarf!! Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Terri said...

Fabulous Dave!

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Noro never disappoints, so simple and stylish!!

Lynn said...

I'm trying REALLY hard to avoid this scarf, but seeing yours just makes it that much harder! GORGEOUS!

Five Ferns Fibreholic said...

Sigh...all that lovely Noro. I recently made a sweater with silk garden and am wondering if it's possible to go back to using solid colours.

Valerie Polichar said...

Beautiful and very manly! Enjoy!

Frk.Badegakk said...

Love it!!!

Lía said...

Beautiful and very nice colours!

Diane said...

Hard to believe this scarf is just ribbing. Beautiful! Hummm, don't seem to have any noro around here right now. More yarn shopping in my future? Certainly looks like that'll happen.

Sourire11 said...

Love! the color combo is great. I still have yet to play with any noro but this scarf makes me want to go out and get some now!

Bianca said...

Wow! Let the cold come outside :-) You'll be warm this winter for sure

Di said...

Beautiful, beautiful beautiful scarf... I really need to knit one of these some time!