Saturday, November 03, 2007

KTS4 - it's here !!

It's been a good mail week here chez Jickets -- my Knitters' Tea Swap 4 package has arrived!


My swap partner was Bridget, and she certainly came through for me. She sent me two types of tea, both of which smell wonderful; a tin in which to keep my tea, which I must admit was an accessory that I didn't know I Absolutely Needed until now, some very yummy Italian cookies, gorgeous blue and green stripey sock yarn, and some incredibly soft bulky alpaca yarn -- I'm thinking it wants to be a hat. Thank you so much, Bridget!

I live in Canada, and I do work for a living. The result of these two factors means that I'm often stuck, particularly in the winter, trying to find decent light for photographs. It's sometimes even difficult to get my trademark crappy front stoop photos when the window of opportunity is only an hour or two. I managed to convince myself that I needed help.


Help has arrived! I now don't have to worry about getting a quick shot between snow squalls and before my fingers freeze. It's just a matter of piling everything into there and snapping away!

Maybe not. This might take a bit of practise.


Not too bad.
Hmmmm - soft and squishy!

I had to go stash diving to play a bit.


Potential scarfey stripeyness!

This could be a bigger time suck than even Ravelry -- but I can drink tea and munch cookies while I'm at it!

36 people had something to say:

Susan said...

Thanks for the heads-up about KTS4 opening when it did... I had noted the site a while ago, but probably wouldn't have been back to check during registration. I suppose I have you to thank for my new supply of wonderful tea; I'm glad your swap partner spoiled you accordingly.

Chrissy said...

Those are some great looking goodies. I'm looking forward to seeing the hat you make from the alpaca. Nice lightbox. Where'd you pick it up? I'm in the same boat of working for a living and therefore having difficulty finding any half decent light.

~Kristie said...

So smart of you to purchase the light tent. I'm sure with some practice your photos will be perfect.

Your tea swap goodies look wonderful. Yum!

turtlegirl76 said...

Very cool tent thingie! Kinda looks like a little dog house but gauzy. Does it collapse like one of those collapsible laundry bags? If so - I MUST have one. Very cool.

Teyani said...

what great yarny gifts - and tea: yummmmy.
Your new "toy" looks like fun. Happy picture snapping!
and is that Noro Kureyon I spy??

HPNY KNITS said...

love the light box idea! it gives a really nice light!

Bells said...

I have that very same Online yarn and that very tea cannister. Looks like your swap pal was someone just like me....only NOT me, because I'm not in it.

Love the lightbox!

Mary Lou said...

Hmmm, i live in Minnesota (did live in Ottawa) and know what you mean. Dark in the morning, dark in the evening. That light box is very cool. I may have to check it out.

Anonymous said...

Nice bunch of goodies! And a very cool idea for a light box.

Amy O'Neill Houck said...

Where did you get your light box? Do you like it?

Anonymous said...

Nice light box thingy, where did you get it? I am currently experimenting with similar weird wardrobe thingies I got from Ikea, but since they're not really meant to be lightboxes, they're not really the right shape (very cheap though). I may need to actually get something like yours...

Dave said...

Since a couple people have asked:

I got my light box here: http://www.olivonoptics.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=14

They call it a canopy. I got the smaller one, and I think it's plenty big enough. I'm not sure about photographing finished objects such as socks, but I think they'll fit. And it folds up into a handy little storage container thingy. Pretty cool, actually. The light I used I got at a local hardware store. It's a natural/gro-light type bulb.

Anonymous said...

The first photo [where you piled everything in] made me laugh out loud! I'm sure you'll enjoy your new toy. I love playing with mine. ;)

Virtuous said...

OMG!! That is a great lightbox and you didn't even have to build it!!!

Where did you get the fabric box? What is it called?? I must get it! Do tell!

I have been taking the majority of my photos over the weekend :op

Oh yeah! Nice tea package too! Haha!

Monika said...

I'm a sucker for tins. I like you oh so much needed tea tin best of all your goodies! I was thinking of getting such a photo tent (what's it called anyway). Would you recommend it? And where did you get it. My B-day is coming up and I have to drop hints for my boys! ;o)

Kim said...

The Michigan weather helps create sad winter photos too. I have resorted to draping a white sheet over my camera and yarn for frustrating but adequate results. I think I need a 'photo hut' such as yours...I'm off to knit one! heh, heh.

Sarah said...

Thanks for the link on the lightbox -- I've been looking for one! Looks like you're having fun with yours. :)

knottykitty said...

I have similar light problems here in Seattle---I really must check into one of those light boxes! I keep seeing instructions on line for building my own, but I'd probably get around to that when H*ll freezes over!

So far, I've resorted to aiming a craft light at my beige carpet and hoping for the best---very professional!

Love your new treats! That alpaca looks sooo soft! :)

Fibreaddict said...

Beautiful yarn pictures. Love the light box. Have contemplated getting one but never was sure. I think you have changed my mind!

Karen said...

I love the light box too. I also need to take a lesson or two in the operation of my camera (a simple digital). I think I will check adult ed, as I know they had offered one. At this point, I can't even figure out how to turn the flash off if I DO get an opportunity to get photos outside on a sunny day.

Nana Sadie said...

Great tea swap gifts! And thanks for the lightbox link!
(((hugs)))

Romi said...

Cool photo toys! And what a nice pacakge. :)

Frk.Badegakk said...

At first I thought the light tent was a funny looking dog house.
NOW I know better. I get the point;)

limedragon :-: Harriet said...

Lucky you! You got some fantastic stuff!

Enjoy the light tent. : )

Anonymous said...

Nice swag! Cool light tent!

Opal said...

Lovely goodies! What an awesome light tent! It's really going to come in handy.

Marjorie said...

Thanks for the link to the light tent. I was growing increasingly frustrated by not being able to get good photos (although reading my camera manual has certainly improved them). I read several descriptions of making these yourself from cardboard boxes (including one in this month's Macworld), but I'd really rather spend the time knitting. I'll have to look into one like yours.

dickie said...

I joined the Knitter's Tea Swap because of a blog you had weeks ago. =) It was my first swap EVER and a really great experience. Thanks! ^_^
Awesome light box, by the way.

Anonymous said...

Love the light box! I so need one of those...I have light issues also. I just live in a dark house. Lot's of trees, not much sunlight gets in and indoor lighting sucks, despite my best efforts. Would you rate that contraption as pricey? I was just wondering:)

ang

lexa said...

Looks like a great swap pack!

Cool idea for the lighting, too. I can't take inside pictures of my knitting anywhere inside except the kitchen. (I much prefer outdoor picture.) I'm hoping my new Christmas camera will solve the problem! :)

Anonymous said...

What a great post for prepping for winter dreariness. Warm tea, cozy yarns, and a great solution to photographing FOs in the freezing cold. I think you've got the right idea. :)

Anonymous said...

Dave, where did you get the light box?

Carol said...

What a great idea for lighting! I have to get me one of those! Nice goodies too, I saw what Bridget got and she's one lucky swapper!

Anonymous said...

What a great Tea package you got! :-)

Carson said...

Hi Dave!
Thanks for the link.
And can I just say anything..anything at all that can include cups of tea and cookies has got to be a good thing, right? :)

Unknown said...

i just of just happened upon your blog and saw that you were in ottawa, small world.
where did you get your little white room thingy? i must have one *l*

all of your stuff looks amazing btw. jealous.