Saturday, October 27, 2007

Humdiggedty!

Big yarn ....


... makes big socks.

(Man's second best friend included for scale.)

A coupla trips through the washing machine ...

... gives you a wonderfully thick and warm pair of slipper socks. The pattern is Hamer's Humdingers, a variation of the old Two-strand Wool-Ease socks. Quick and easy. Very quick, as in you can easily do a whole sock in one evening.

Progress is progressing on my Curve of Pursuit, albeit slowly.


That's Square Six of Twelve finished, which might lead you to surmise that I'm halfway done, but you would be mistaken because each square is 1.5 times bigger than its predecessor. It's now at a stage where there's more knitting than picking up of stitches, so it should be easier to work on in bits and pieces of spare time.

I've decided not to do the Secret of Chrysopolis. First it morphed from a shawl into a stole, which gave me pause, and then it developed some hearts and stuff. It's a nice pattern, but not what I was hoping it would be. You can see someone else's here.

I'm in the Mystic Waters KAL, and this one is looking quite nice so far ... again, someone else's can be seen here. I like this one a lot better, but I don't think the rusty alpaca I was hoping to use would work as well for this. I'll sit on the side for a bit until I decide. If I do go for it, I might have to spring for some blue-ish Sea Silk. T'would be a pity, that. :-) Or maybe I should dig out the Swallowtail. Hmmmm.

In the Other News Department, I'm in Ravelry! Not very far in, but I'm in. I don't think I'll be posting stash, etc., but it should be good for researching patterns, etc. My Ravelry name is CriminyJickets; you may friend me, if you wish. (I'm not really sure yet what that means, but what the heck.)

Digging further into the Other News Department, my cable needle has run away from home. If you see it, please tell it Daddy loves it and would like it to come back home. I'm hoping to not have to resort to posting its picture on milk cartons.

30 people had something to say:

Sarah said...

Cool slipper socks! They look good and cozy (and warm)

I think your cable needle must have run off with mine. I'll let you know what the local authorities say. Meanwhile I've used a little circ as my cable needle and it's making me happy.

Kim said...

Glad you're in Ravelry. I love it, but what a time-suck! I could never convince myself to put my stash in either.

Angelika said...

I was wondering if I see some of those two lace KALs on your blog. I like the Mystic Waters better too, but might have to put both of them off to knit a gift for a friend from the Gathering of Lace instead. But it's nice to get a free pattern, right?

Anonymous said...

Nice socks and blanket! I friended you on Ravelry. I'm working on breaking my addiction to it, but I'm not doing too well. My cable needle must have run off with all the others to some fabulous cable needle picnic in the woods.

Debi said...

It's the universe's cosmic suggestion that you learn to cable without a cable needle! :)

That blanket is just so gorgeous!

Welcome to Ravelry! It's the BEST for seing what everyone else is knitting!

Julie said...

The slipper socks are fab and gosh I wish I had the curves of pursuit pattern, that's fab! Welcome to Ravelry, I've already gone and friended you. I did put in stash but I can't be bothered to update it so I don't think it'll be of much use to me.

Teyani said...

love the humdingers. looks like it'll be toasty toes for you this winter :-)
and welcome to Ravelry - needless-to-say, it gets more addictive the more you play...

sheep#100 said...

You are making me want to go right out and buy big, fat, bulky feltable yarn here, dude...

Dorene said...

Welcome to Ravelry! And I have already "friended" you!

Sarah said...

I like Debi's suggestion! I actually almost never use a cable needle unless the cable is really huge, and even then I've sometimes been known to use a spare dpn instead. But I do hope your cable needle comes back to you, as I can tell you are missing it terribly.

I'm off to go add you as a friend on Ravelry!

Anonymous said...

Researching patterns on Ravelry is definitely the most invaluable feature. You should put your own finished projects up there, though, just because the more people put up there, the more useful the site is! Stash totally optional, in my opinion.

Love the big slipper socks! (Covet the bit slipper socks would probably be even more accurate.)

limedragon :-: Harriet said...

These are awesome slipper socks, love the color you used. I'm in Mystic Waters KAL too, but haven't done a thing because I can only find half of a certain laceweight in my stash. Congratulations on getting in Ravelry! : )

BEESTLYproducts said...

felted socks!!! how cozy <333
that blanket is going to be amazing when you're finished.

Virtuous said...

Wow! Those are similar to the fuzzy socks on knitty but those actually look like socks felted!! :o)

Perfect for this chilly weather! Are they scratchy??

Opal said...

I love how your Curve of Pursuit is turning out. I would love to make that, but I need another woolen blanket like I need another hole in my head.

Off to friend you now!

turtlegirl76 said...

The socks look so cozy!

~Kristie said...

I'm in love with your blanket. Instead of knitting my own though, I'll just admire your progress from afar.

Anonymous said...

I'm enjoying Chrysopolis a lot...
and as for those two measely little hearts... they could be charted out without too much trouble.

I'm more disturbed by the sudden swatch of solid knitting.... may have to fuss w/ the chart when I get there.

Chelsea said...

Wow, Dave - your Curve of Pursuit is really beautiful! I can't wait to see the pieces all next to each other. I'm curious to see how you will end up laying them out. Fun!

I'm excited that you made it to ravelry. If you change your mind, keeping your wips, stash, and queue up-to-date is very fun. It is a huge help in keeping up with which projects to do next, etc. Either way, you'll have fun, I'm sure! :)

Stacey said...

perfect timing for those slippers - it got really chilly here today!!! Ravelry is a blast....a huge time suck!

lexa said...

Love the color of your slipper socks. I totally love felted stuff.

Maybe your cable needle has run off with my 6mm dpns. I can't find them anywhere.

randi K design said...

I am sure your blanket will be pretty when its done..

Anonymous said...

I'm also in love with your blanket; I can't wait to see it finished. It is going to be so cool!

Elinor said...

Dave! What are you doing using a cable needle?? Liberate yourself! Cabling without the cable needle is sooooooo much faster! :-)

The slipper socks look fabulous! I can't wait to see the finished blanket too.

Jamie said...

I think I like your "Pursuit" color layout better than the original or the FO's you linked... the spiral that is developing is totally VERTIGO.

Anonymous said...

Love the blanket. And while I'm not cool enough to cable without a needle (tried it and hated the hand cramps), my favorite technique is to take a cheap plastic yarn needle, fasten it to my knitting with a loop of yarn so it cant go gallivanting with the dpns, and slide the necessary stitches off and on the left needle. Fast and easy, and no hand cramps.
Kimmen

Carrie K said...

I hope your cable needle comes home. All alone and out in the wide world - maybe it's dressing up as a circular needle for Halloween....

Those socks are my kind of socks. Warm and thick.

Curve of Pursuit! I've stuffed mine into a bag when the geometry went wonky trying not to have any loose ends....

kathy b said...

Curve is lovely and coming along well, I'd say.
I am so lousy with colorways and how they knit up. I loved the Northern Lights skein, but (so sorry) don't like the knit up. Love the pattern. I definitely benefit from seeing others knitups for colorways. Thanks

Amy O'Neill Houck said...

The blanket is entrancing--I love the colors, it must be a very fun knit!

Anonymous said...

Wow! That geometric knit square thing is very impressive. I can't wrap my brain around it. I knew you were a talented knitter, but goodness, Dave. Also, those slipper socks are way cool. I might do those in lieu of the felted slippers for my mom. Thanks:)

Ang