Sunday, December 16, 2007

Seasonal Sockage

I swear I didn't plan it this way. I cast on a bunch of socks last fall, and they've been sitting by my desk, waiting patiently for a few odd minutes here and there. These just happened to come off the needles this month.


The yarn is by Liza Souza, in the Little Devil colourway. I won it in a contest on Aija's blog a while ago. (Thanks again, Aija!)


I wasn't really expecting it to stripe -- very cool! The yarn is wonderfully soft merino and a joy to knit with.


The colours have a slight variegation within both the red and the black, which kind of helps to relieve the Wally effect, although it doesn't completely eliminate it. :-)


The yarn. although on the fine side, comes in humongous 560 yard hanks, and I had a whack of it left over. If you're knitting for someone with big feet, this would be a great choice.

This little beauty is from Jessie over at A Piece of Vermont. It's her Weybridge Blend, 60% Romney/Corriedale, 20% Mohair and 20% Alpaca. It's not soft like merino, but it has a great woolly feel as you knit it. This blend in a sport weight yarn gives a nice, toasty-warm sock, which is just what I need now that winter seems to be here in full force.

Jessie does wonderful subtle colourways. This one is no exception. She calls it Rosemary, and it's a wonderful silvery green with smudges of other greens thrown in.


These will need to be hand washed, so I knitted in a little reminder of that.

The weather outside is frightful, but my feet feel so delightful!

I was hoping to share some pictures of the winter wonderland out there, but it's still just a bit wild for that at the moment. Instead, please accept this knit blog version of a Christmas tree.

57 people had something to say:

Anonymous said...

they are lovely! Have a wonderful holiday!

Sarah said...

What great socks! I love the red ones, and I'm glad to hear your positive review of Lisa Souza. It's one of those yarns I've heard a lot about, but I haven't yet had a chance to try it. Maybe next year, once I've knit through enough of the stash to justify an additional purchase.

Carole Knits said...

Excellent and so seasonal! That last photo is very clever.

Kay-From the Back Yard said...

Very clever Christmas tree! And your socks are, as always, beautiful!

Lynn said...

What a delightful improvised tree! And I like your visual code for "handwash only".

Meg said...

Hee hee ! Love the tree!
Hooray for toasty toes just when you need them!

fleegle said...

I totally adore her sock yarn--I can make both Roy and me a pair with one skein. I made a pair with that colorway, but got a totally different striping pattern. You can borrow his matching tux any time you like :)

Julie said...

Fabulous socks! I don't know which pair I like better. Love the handwash marker, what an excellent idea.

CynCyn said...

Happy holidays... in socks! Great idea to knit in a reminder that the item needs handwashing.

JessaLu said...

Cute! Happy Holidays! :o)

Monika said...

Jessie's Rosemary sock yarn looks wonderful. Sometimes it's good to look at something and the eyes can relax. The other socks are nice too, but I think you deserve a prize for your socky Chritsmas tree!!!

Five Ferns Fibreholic said...

The socks are gorgeous. That "tree" of yours makes me want to whip up a pair of red and green socks for myself this holiday season.

Pat said...

I love the rosemary Christmas tree! (and the socks that make it up!) The ever so subtle reminder to hand wash is an excellent idea!

Debi said...

I love your knitter's Christmas Tree Dave! Great socks, everyone! :)

Susan said...

That's the best Xmas tree I've seen all season. Your visual indication of washability status is genius.

turtlegirl76 said...

The socks look fabulous! Sometimes keeping it simple with stockinette lets the yarn sing to its full potential.

Alwen said...

I love the socks. Handknit socks are so great for snowy weather.

And what a great tree! I love it!

Anonymous said...

I love your Christmas tree. The socks are pretty nice too :-)

OzKnitter said...

Lovely socks, the Rosemary is particularly gorgeous.

Merry Christmas Dave!

Micki said...

Your sock tree is a thing of beauty.

Anonymous said...

The socks look great! I need to finish the pair I am working on by Wednesday. Wish me luck. I'm pretty slow.

Ang

Beth said...

I love your sock tree. Quite clever, Dave!

Those green socks look very warm and cozy. I love them.

Terri said...

Your sock Christmas tree is hilarious. How apt. :o) Love the socks, particularly the Rosemary ones. Very nice. Very elegant looking too.

knottykitty said...

Your socks are always so gorgeous! I always love your color choices, too! Sorry about that drool on your blog...:p

Calvin said...

Very nice socks, Dave.

Teyani said...

love that little devil socks!
and Jessie is certainly the queen of subtle colors. I love her dyeing work too.
joyous holidays!

limedragon :-: Harriet said...

Best tree ever!! : )

sandra said...

What can I add that hasn't already been said! Great stuff.Always enjoy your blog.

Norma said...

What a FAB tree. I adore those rosemary socks. My favorites are the subtle colorways. Jessie does such a great job!

Karen said...

Awesome tree. The Lisa Souza socks are great, and the Rosemary socks...makes me want to cook!

Nana Sadie said...

What a lovely tree, Dave!!!
(((((hugs)))))
Merry Christmas!

Jennifer said...

Beautiful socks! I love the sock Christmas tree too. I hope your holiday season is going smoothly and is full of joy and peace.

BEESTLYproducts said...

wally, huh? i just read the wiki and apparently, every other country calls Waldo, Wally. strange.
i love the red and black sox btw. quite lovely.

Valerie Polichar said...

Love both of those. They juxtapose really well, too. They're making me crave new yarn...

tiennieknits said...

These are great and perfect for this time of year!

HPNY KNITS said...

wonderful little tree!

Anonymous said...

Great socks!

You are so clever!

lexa said...

Both pairs look great! If I can ever finish my Christmas knitting then I'll be able to knit some warm socks. We haven't gotten hit as bad as Ontario, but it's a lot colder here than normal, more snow, too.

Opal said...

Oooh a Christmas sock tree! How delicious.

Love the stripey socks! Too perfect. :)

Lynn said...

I always love the colorways you pick out and knit up and these are no exception!! Just gorgeous!

Carrie K said...

Nice socks! That tree is positively inspired.

Unknown said...

I love the tree! Have a wonderful Christmas!

Jessica said...

LOL! Love the tree 'o socks! They look great. :)

nova said...

These socks are pretty fabulous! Happy Chirstmas!

Zonda said...

I love your socks! Especially your sock tree! :)

Nano said...

You couldn't have planned it better. Love the tree. Happy Holidays!

Neuroknitter said...

Thank you so much! I love the socks and the tree! Happy Holidays!

Anonymous said...

Hi there Dave,

You make some lovely socks, I wish I could. Love to knit, but knitting socks seems so difficult (all those needles).

Greetz from Holland

Jacqueline / fiddletwiddleneedlework.web-log.nl

Courtney said...

Love the socks, the yarn is beautiful!

Charles said...

Hey Dave~~

I can't find your email..

I just want to say have a great Christmas!

Great Wishes and Hopes

Love,

Charles

Knit Picking said...

Nice Christmas tree. Have a wonderful holiday season!

Marlene said...

Merry CrisMoose Dave. Nice tree....no further decorating needed!

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

The socks look great, and I love those colourways! Happy New Year!

Romi said...

Awesome! I love Lisa's yarns. :)

Happy New Year!!!

Kerry said...

Awesome socks! Would you mind sharing the recipe for your short row heel? Pretty please?

PenCraft said...

What a fantastic idea to have a visual reminder on the hand-wash only. Love that! Love the socks too!

Anonymous said...

I love that little reminder in the toe of the PoV socks. I should do that with mine! Only, I handwash them even if they're superwash. lol