Friday, January 04, 2008

The World Lost a Knitter Today

About five years ago, when my friend Emmett learned that I knit, he delightfully proclaimed, "I knit too! We should get together and knit some evening." And so we did. As a matter of fact, it became a ritual. Every Saturday evening, we would go out for dinner, then rent a few movies and sit and knit. Nine times out of ten they were horror movies. The cheesier they were, the more Emmett liked them.

The first time we got together, I brought over my sock in progress. Emmett said, "Oh, is that wool?" I replied that it was. He said, "I'm allergic to wool." When I asked what he knit, he brought out his slipper in progress -- Phentex, and, if I recall correctly, blue and white. He said that was the only thing he could actually knit with. I asked him if he'd ever tried cotton. He asked, "What would you make with cotton?" I showed him some patterns off the Internet, and he was delighted. I think he cranked out four or five dishcloths a week.

I did try to broaden his interests. He made scarves for all his grandchildren one year for Christmas. I finally convinced him to try a a circular needle, and although he didn't like it, he did start an afghan for his daughter, and had plans to make one for his son as well. But his main love was dishcloths. As long as he was knitting something -- anything -- he was happy.

Emmett felt that knitting helped keep his hands limber for his other love -- playing the organ in his church, where he was also the choir director and the sacristan. He knew his liturgy and more Latin words and phrases than you can shake a stick at. We had many lively discussions about religion and life -- if you knew us, you'd know that it was mostly him talking and me listening -- but I could never convince him he was wrong. ;-) I'll just say it was good thing we both had a sense of humour.

I am pleased to say that I was able to introduce some new techniques to Emmett. I taught him how to purl and do a YO. I remember the struggles he had with DPNs when he first tried to make a round dish cloth. He had great fun when he first tried the Ball Band dish cloth -- imagine, two colours at once! Presently on his needles is his very first project with cables -- a scarf for his granddaughter.

Unfortunately, that scarf will never be finished. Emmett died today as a result of a massive stroke. Emmett, my friend, I will miss you. I really don't know how I will get through this Saturday evening, but I do know that you will be knitting up there in heaven -- with Chuckie and his Bride, Freddie, Leatherface, Jason and all the rest of them.

150 people had something to say:

punkin said...

I am sorry. He sounds like a good friend who loves his family.

Liz K. said...

Oh, Dave, I'm so very sorry about Emmett. The world lost a knitter, but you lost a friend, and his family lost a father and a grandfather. Thank you for sharing this little remembrance, and know you have my deepest sympathies.

Paul said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. Your post is a lovely tribute to him. You, Emmett and his family are in my thoughts and prayers.

errs said...

A lovely tribute to your friend. Sympathies to you.

Lisa said...

I am so sorry you lost such a great friend. It sounds like he was a very special man. I hope all your wonderful memories of him help you through this.

Calvin said...

Dave, I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. I'll be thinking about you tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about the loss of your friend. It's a tough time for you and for his family. i wish you all courage.
Gillian

Erin Taylor said...

I am so sorry Dave. My heart is breaking for you.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing an inspirational life with us. Hugs & prayers to you and to Emmett's family.

kathy b said...

Dave

So sorry you have lost a good friend and knitter. Sounds like you were so lucky to know him.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for your loss. My heartfelt condolences!
~ betseydoodle.ca

Anonymous said...

My sincere condolences. Might you finish the scarf? It would be lovely if you could.

Paula said...

I'm sorry for your loss, Dave. It's so hard when people we are close to die suddenly, unexpectedly. So sad.

Agnes said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Take care and stay strong.

Chelle said...

I'm so sorry for your loss Dave. Your friend Emmett sounds like a lovely person.

Trillian42 said...

I'm so sorry. What a lovely tribute to a good friend. My sympathies are with his family and friends.

fluffbuff said...

I am sorry you lost a good friend. It sounds as if he didn't suffer too much and I hope that you can find some comfort in that. Everything else is sadness.

Hugs.

Michael said...

Dave, I'm so sorry to hear that. It sounds like you have enough memories to keep him around though.

Anonymous said...

Dave, I'm so sorry that you have lost a friend. I am also sorry that the world has lost a knitter. You and Emmett are in my prayers tonight. Get through it and I will see you tommorrow.

Anonymous said...

Oh Dave, I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. It sounds like you and Emmett had some great times.

Leatherface, Jason and Freddie knit?

The Gadabout Knitter said...

It sounds like he was a wonderful friend and a very caring guy.

My condolences to both you and his family.

Debi said...

I'm so sorry for your loss Dave.

Cloudberry said...

I'm so sorry about your loss.

Soo said...

What a lovely tribute to someone who was obviously a great friend. I'm sorry for your loss.

Taxastrikkeren said...

I am sorry.Take care of your self.I will knit whit you in my mynd tonight.

Gitte from Denmark

Michelle said...

Dave, I am so sorry about Emmett. You and Emmett's family will be in my thoughts.

Monika said...

My deepest sympathies for the loss of your friend Emmett!

Dawn ;) said...

Thanks for sharing your friend with us and I'm confident you will have a great Saturday evening in his honor. I must tell you that I was really sad until I read your ending ~ thats just great! Enjoy your memories. ;D

LaurieM said...

My condolences on your loss. Rent a horror movie tonight and knit a wash cloth in his memory.

Anonymous said...

A beautiful tribute. You are in my thoughts.

fleegle said...

I am so sorry, Dave. To lose a friend is to lose part of yourself. May you remember him always.

LizzieK8 said...

It's so hard to loose a friend. I'm sorry for your loss.

Carole Knits said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. I hope this beautiful tribute you wrote will help you find peace and comfort. Grieving for a friend is different than any other kind of grief I've experienced. If I can help in any way, please let me know.

Anonymous said...

Emmett sounds like a wonderful person and you had a wonderful time together. I'm sorry for your loss and I hope the good memories help you through the tough times ahead.

Julie said...

He sounds like such a lovely person and a great friend. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Kay-From the Back Yard said...

Dave, I am sad that you lost a good friend. Wish all of us could be there to knit with you this evening. My thoughts and prayers will be with you.

Anonymous said...

Dave, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Norma said...

What a beautiful tribute to Emmett. Emmett, we never knew ye, but now we feel like we do. I hope they need lots of dishcloths in Heaven.

Sarah said...

I'm so sorry, Dave. It sounds like he was a wonderful friend.

Virtuous said...

Oh Dave I so didn't want to have to read this and I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. Keep remembering him fondly!

Mary Lou said...

Losing a good friend is hard. Sorry to hear of your sad loss.

canknitian said...

Emmett sounds like a sweetheart!

I'm so sorry for your loss.

BIG HUG
j

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Very sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. I am sure you will miss him.

Pat said...

I am sorry.

Anonymous said...

Dave, I'm so sorry for you to loose such a good and loved friend. Treasure your memories!

Take care!

Jacqueline / fiddletwiddle

Unknown said...

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend Emmett. You've written a touching tribute that I'm sure represents only a small portion of who Emmett was. I hope that the memories of such good times will ease the pain of his passing - for you and his family.

Mama Urchin said...

Sympathies to you. Thank you for sharing such wonderful memories.

Twisted Knitter said...

Dave, I'm so sorry for your loss.

I'd like to think he is happily knitting with wool now.

Chelsea said...

That was such a beautiful telling of a beautiful relationship. He sounds like he will always have a special place in your heart. I think that most of us can only hope to have someone so special to us. I hope that you continue to celebrate his life with your wonderful memories.

I'm sending you the biggest, squishiest, longest hug (without making it too awkward). :)

Jennifer said...

Much sympathy to you and for his family. I'm sorry to hear of his passing.

ladyoftheloom said...

Thanks for letting us share in his life. I am very sorry for your loss.
Alice

Karen said...

Emmett sounds like he was a wonderful man, contributing to life on so many levels. I'm sorry for your loss. You're in my thoughts.

Lisa C. said...

I am so sorry for your lose. Emmett sounds like a lovely man.

Sarah said...

I am so sorry for your loss. He sounds like a wonderful man. I always feel like people like that we have with us, even for a short while give us great memories for the rest of our lives.

Opal said...

I am so sorry, Dave. You have my deepest sympathies. May your memories of him keep you company in the coming Saturday evenings and maybe you can keep those cheesy horror flicks coming. He sounds like he was truly a wonderful man and a joyous knitter.

Anonymous said...

I'll be thinking about you and Emmett tonight while I'm knitting. Knitting friends are always very thoughtful and special. If you feel able, maybe you could consider finishing the cable scarf.

knitspot anne said...

oh i'm so sorry for your loss dave . . . emmett sound like a wonderful companion whom you will greatly miss. please know that you have many friends with you this saturday evening, probably including emmett.

Leanne said...

My sincerest sympathies to you and to everyone else who knew and loved Emmett. I'm sure you will miss your Saturday evenings together. Big hugs. Any chance of you finishing the scarf? I'm sure his granddaughter would love that.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Emmett, I know from your loving tribute, was a marvelous man and knitter. He will live on in the thoughts of those who loved him, and in the objects joyfully produced by his hands.

Valerie Polichar said...

Sincere sympathies for your loss (and the loss of so many others, it sounds). I lost a dear friend of mine New Year's 2006, so I can relate. Keeping you in my thoughts...

Wendy Merganser said...

Oh Dave, I'm so sorry about Emmett. And here it is Saturday night. I'll be thinking about you and Emmett tonight as I knit. We are so lucky to have the wonderful people that come in and out of our lives, but that doesn't dim the pain I know you're feeling. Please accept a big cyber-hug from me.

Carol said...

Deepest sympathies on the loss of your friend and fellow knitter. Hugs.

lexa said...

What a wonderful story! You have my deepest sympathies, as well as his family. Take care.

Teyani said...

a big cyber hug goes out to you today - and sympathy for your loss.
A dear friend is a rare and precious gift.

Terri said...

Emmett sounds like a lovely person. I'm sorry to hear of his passing. And I'm sorry to hear you've lost a friend Dave. I hope you can take comfort in the knowledge that you had a chance to know someone like Emmett and to have a positive influence in each other's lives. That really is a blessing. :o)

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for your loss... but thank you for sharing him with us.
There are many needles waving him toward the LYS in the Sky, where he will be able at last to discover the joys of wool.
I'm with you in spirit tonight... knitting by your side, knowing I can never fill the Emmet sized hole in the room.

Yankee Girl ~ Missy said...

Dave, I am so sorry for your loss! What a beautiful story about your friend. You have a gift for writing touching stories as well as knitting!

Kirsten said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. He sounds like he was so full of life.

funfairiegirl said...

I am so sorry to hear this. I think a wonderful tribute to your friend would be to complete that scarf and gift it to his granddaugher...or teach her to knit if she is local.

CynCyn said...

My condolences to you and his family... he obviously lived and loved well, and will be missed by many.

Anonymous said...

Dave,
My heartfelt condolences of the passing of your friend.

Bells said...

Oh my. I'm so sorry. He sounds like a wonderful soul and a tremendous loss.

Beth said...

I am so sorry for your loss, Dave. Your friends sounds like a good man. I am sure the world will feel lesser without him in it.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. He sounded like a great friend and fun knitting companion.

HPNY KNITS said...

wonderful tribute to a dear friend! so sorry for your loss. I'll be thinking of you on Saturdays and sending knitterly vibes.

Rose said...

I am sorry for your loss. Your tribute to Emmett was beautiful.

Eric & Tony said...

Sorry for your loss.

chemgrrl said...

I'm so sorry you lost your friend, Dave. Maybe you could finish the scarf for him? It might help, both you and his family.

Disentangled said...

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. I know that he will always be apart of you through your knitting.

Sarah said...

I'm so sorry. It's so sweet that he knit for his family -- having the gifts he made for them with his own hands is probably a small comfort.

AllyB said...

Sorry to hear of your loss.

knitkim said...

You and Emmett's family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Kim

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Hugs and condolences to you and all of Emmett's loved ones.

Stacy said...

I'm sorry for your loss, Dave. You will be in my thoughts, as will Emmett's family.

Unknown said...

sorry for your loss, Dave.

Aidan said...

As Queen Elizabeth once said "Grief is the price we pay for love." I am sorry for your loss.

knottykitty said...

So sorry to hear of the passing of your good friend and knitting buddy--what a tragic loss. He was lucky to have a friend such as you to share his interests and send him off with such a lovely tribute. With the passing of some time, I hope your stitches will be many and your tears will become few, for your friend loved you as well and would not want you to be sad.

Anonymous said...

It seems that no matter how prepared one can be,
the loss of someone close to us can be very trying.
Wishing you as much peace as possible during this difficult time.

During this time, may sweet memories fill your heart.
If your soul needs to shed some tears, then let them flow.
If a laugh creeps in, then give yourself that gift.
May time be your friend and give you comfort.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, Emmett sounded like a wonderful person.

Five Ferns Fibreholic said...

I think that I met Emmett once and was even invited to one of your Saturday night knitting sessions. Aside from his choice of movies, I regret declining the offer. It would have been a chance to get to know him.

I wish you and his family peace at this time.

limedragon :-: Harriet said...

Oh no, I'm sorry for your loss, he seemed like a great guy.

Jeanette said...

My condolences to you, Emmett's family, and all his other friends and loved ones.

KTMay said...

So, so sad. God bless you and all of those mourning the loss of a beloved father, grandfather, friend, etc.

ax174 said...

No words of wisdom, just that I'm so sorry.

doulicia said...

Condolences to you. The world lost a knitter and you lost a dear friend.

Gina said...

To have had the joy of friendship, the joy of companionship, and the joy of moments shared is a great blessing. If you do finish the scarf for Emmett, I'm sure you will do it justice and that it will be cherished all the more for your thoughtfullness. I wish you peace.

AuntieAnn said...

I'm so sorry. I'll be knitting Saturday night, and maybe you and Emmett will be knitting along, somewhere.

The Chickengoddess said...

Oh, I am so very sorry to hear about Emmett. And even though I'm chiming in late, I'll be knitting with you in spirit this Saturday evening.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss. He sounded very dear to you.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, Dave.

Sayward said...

I'm so sorry Dave.

Unknown said...

Dave, I am so sorry for your loss. What a lovely tribute you've written to your friend.

DEEP END OF THE LOOM said...

Dave, I so sorry for your loss, thank you for sharing your tribute to him with us. My deepest sympathy for you and his family.

jak said...

My heart and thoughts go out to you and to Emmett's family... perhaps he will prepare a spot for the rest of us knitters and have the DVD player ready to go.

Kyle William said...

beautifully expressed- my heart goes out to you - I hope you'll keep your knitting time with Emmett for a while - perhaps finish some of the projects he started - it'll certainly mean a lot to the family he left behind, and it will give you some quality time with the memories of your friend. Thank you for the brave testimony of your time with Emmett; he sounds like he was an interesting man, and you are lucky to have been blessed with his friendship.

nova said...

This was a lovely post about your friendship with Emmett, thank you for sharing it, Dave. I am sorry that you have lost your friend, and that Emmett's family has lost a loved one.

Nana Sadie said...

(((((((((hugs)))))))))
I'm so sorry. Our Saturday night knit buds are precious.
I know you'll miss him a long time, and what a neat person he must have been.

LavenderSheep said...

I am so sorry for your loss. He sounds like a great knitter and friend.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I'll sit and knit this Saturday evening and think of the two of you.

Kerry said...

I so sorry you've lost such a wonderful friend. May your fond memories of him help ease your sorrow during this difficult time.

Morticcia said...

I always feel awkward leaving comments about personal matters for bloggers I barely know, but your post was so poignant I felt impelled to tell you your love for him came across so purely.

I am sorry for your loss, and for his family's loss.

~Kristie said...

From the bottom of my heart, I am sincerely sorry for the loss of your friend. You wrote a beautiful tribute though and I wish you strength and peace in getting through this.

{{Big Hug}}

Meg said...

Thank you for telling us about Emmett and his knitting. The joy he took from knitting itself, without any flashy yarns or the latest in high-tech gadgets, is a real lesson.

Nina BF said...

My thoughts will be with you on Saturday evening!

Hugs Nina

a friend to knit with said...

oh dave. so sorry for your loss.
and i too will be sending stong thoughts your way on saturday nights.

Anonymous said...

I'm really sorry about Emmett. I hope he is in a peaceful place.

Sabrina

Jenny Raye said...

Oh Dave, so sorry for the loss of your dear friend!

Nano said...

So sorry for your loss. And what a lovely tribute for a good friend.

Perhaps you could keep the unfinished scarf, and when and if you get the feeling, finish it. Or just keep it in Emmett's memory.

My thoughts are with you.

ds said...

My condolences. It might be very consoling for you to finish that cabled scarf for his granddaughter - and very meaningful for her. May you be blessed.

Ruth said...

I'm so sorry to read about your loss. Emmett sounds like a real pip.

Eva i Halmstad said...

Sorry for your loss.
Eva.

DOCKMAMMAN said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your dear friend

sweetfigs said...

I'm sorry you lost such a wonderful friend. Regards to Emmett's other loved ones. This post was a lovely tribute to him.

Knit Picking said...

So sorry about your loss. What a great tribute.

Anonymous said...

I´m so sorry for you and Emmets all relatives. It´s hard to loose a beloved friend. But remember - life is still going on here on earth.

Patricia said...

My heart hurts for you. I just lost a newly discovered relative who knit. I join you in grief.

Anonymous said...

Dave-

I am so sorry to hear about your dear friend. My thoughts are with you and his family at this very difficult time. I am sure he will be dearly missed.

Sassy

Anonymous said...

So sorry, Dave. It is hard to lose a friend, even more so, so suddenly.

Hugs to you,

Ang

Bianca said...

I am so sorry to hear this Dave. My thoughts and prayers are going to Emmett's family and to you.

Elinor said...

Oh, how sad! I'm sorry to hear about your dear friend! I wish you lots of comfort knitting!

Rach said...

129 other people have already commented, but I was away campiong and knitting my dischcloth supply for the year......It's not too late to say sorry, is it? And to aks...what if Emmett were right? ;-)

jessie said...

My condolences. So sad to hear of a knitter and friend leaving the world. But somewhere a knitter is being born. :-)

Carol said...

I'm so very sorry to hear about Emmett. I hope he sends you a Saturday friend. x

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Words are never enough at a time like this ... but maybe in heaven Emmett can knit all the wool he never got to knit on earth. May he never run out of yarn and cheesy movies.

Emily Cole said...

Dave - I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. It sounds like you had a very special relationship, and I know you will miss him. Em

Anonymous said...

Dave, I'm so sorry.
Emmett sounds like a special man who will be missed by all of you. Stay strong and remember the good times. x

Romi said...

Oh dear. I'm so very sorry to hear that.

zoe said...

So very sorry for you, Dave. Sending hugs.

Anonymous said...

I'm so very sorry to hear of the passing of your friend and your loss. I'm so sorry. Hugs to you.

Sarah said...

My deepest sympathies on the loss of your friend.

webhill said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Maybe if you're feeling up to it you can finish that scarf as a tribute to him. I'm sure his granddaughter would appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry for your loss. You wrote a wonderful tribute to him. I am sure he is still knitting alongside you on Saturday nights.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Emmet Dave. He was a happy chap to have you as a friend.

On a happier note - I am a new fan of yours :) I have been reading (and reading... and reading... and reading, boy are you productive :)) your blog for the last *hum* few days. I enjoy reading your blog and I
am forever envious of all you have done (knitwise especially). I will keep visiting your blog regularly from now on. Keep those needles in motion :D

Heide said...

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your knitting compadre. I think you should attend knitting night because the others there will help you and you, in turn, will help them to remember Emmet. Any chance that you could all work together a little on that afghan for his daughter and surprise her with it? She'd probably be really touched to have something that her father worked on and also to know how many peoples' lives he touched.

KnitFloozy said...

Oh Dave....my heart goes out to you. It's hard to find a friend to knit with and then you found a really good one. I'm glad for you that he was ablle to spend some time in your life. Perhaps you could finish the projects he didnt? I'm sure his granddaughter would be really happy...

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave,
I just recently discovered your blog. I'm so sorry for the loss of your dear friend.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. -Ken

Lacefreak said...

What a lovely man he was. You were fortunate to have had each other. I'm so sorry for your loss but I think his love and friendship live on inside you. My thoughts are with you.

Diane said...

What a wonderful tribute to your friend. I'm sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

oh my god - what a sad story! I'm so sorry for you to loose your friend!

Bea