Sunday, January 27, 2008

SAM 5 - January done!

Thank you, all, for your very many comments on the loss of my friend Emmett. The warmth and kindness you have shown is humbling, and a little overwhelming. Keep your friends and family close, and let them know that you care, in both your actions and your words.

On to the knitting:

Having found myself once again in the position of having quite a few singleton or half-done socks, I thought I should impose a little discipline. Hello, Sock-a-Month 5. Should be no problem, since I've likely got six pairs in various stages of completion. Right. Grab Pair No. 1 and knit, knit, knit -- get to the toe of Sock No. 2 and also the end of the yarn. Huh? I very seldom run out of yarn, but it happened this time. No problem, as there are others waiting to be finished. Grab Pair No. 2 and knit, knit, knit -- and I run out of yarn again. Sigh. I might have cursed. Grab pair No. 3, and knit, knit, knit -- try it on to see if I'm ready for the toe and notice a hole way back at the beginning of the foot. Yes, I dropped a stitch and hadn't noticed. Rip, and knit, knit, knit -- finally, after knitting what amounts to 6.5 socks, I have ... a pair.




The yarn is Schaefer Anne, in a colourway called Safari. It comes in humongous 560 yard hanks, so you're unlikely to run out of yarn. :-)


This is the first time I've used this yarn, and I like it. It is on the finer side, and the fabric feels kind of woolly and looks kind of fuzzy. The colours have a bit of glow to them. I was surprised, though, to see stripes emerging.



I need a bit more practise with yarn this thin. I got a line of wonky stitches at the needle joins, which didn't completely wash out, although I think it will over time.



In the Other News Department, I met some other Ottawa knitters! They enticed me with things like yarn and needles, so out I went. Paula put together a group Peace Fleece order, and Sarah did a Knit Picks order. Luckily, Leanne was available to meet up at the same time to pick up her goodies. It was very nice to finally meet you, ladies, and I hope to get out to some Ottawa Knit Nights in the near future.

In the Even More Other News Department, I have been very lax in posting a prize I won in a blog contest held by yet another Ottawa knitter, Joanna. She's probably been wondering what I did with her very generous gift certificate to Robyn's Nest. Well, I might have got some yarn.


And while I was at it, because my stash seems to be lacking in solid colours, I might have ... well, I did.



Thanks very much, Joanna, for both the prize and the enabling. :-)

54 people had something to say:

lexa said...

What gorgeous prize yarn! And the solids are very nice, too. Definitely you!

Thanks for the views on the Schaefer Anne. I have a skein in the stash matched up with a pair of socks. (Sweetpea from Knitty) I've never used that yarn before, and I always like to hear what other people think of new-to-me stuff.

knitspot anne said...

beautiful socks! and the new yarns all coordinate, which is really cool.

sheep#100 said...

I didn't see the stripes coming from the hank snapshot either!

CelticCastOn said...

I love that claudia's!!! And your solids are yummy too, great picks!

Norma said...

Wow, I love those Schaefer Anne socks! Who would expect those nice little stripes from that skein?! Love it.

aija said...

Wow, I never thought Anne would stripe like that. Definitely given me an idea what to do with my anne stash (it holds up really well in the wash and with wear).

Paula said...

Nice socks though, after all that. I guess those solids will come in handy for the toes of the ones that ran short.

Sarah said...

What nice socks! I think that fuzziness might be the mohair in the yarn, which is sadly why I cannot knit with Schaeffer Anne. I love the colors, but even they are not enough to overcome the horrible itchiness I get with mohair. So, I just have to live vicariously through lucky people like you, who can knit with it without incident!

Micki said...

Amazing socks! What a nice surprise those stripes must have been.

Anonymous said...

Love the Anne! I have some marinating in the stash and I wonder now if it will stripe. I didn't expect that, either, but I really like the way your socks knitted up!

Time to try toe-up two-at-a-time. You never run out of yarn that way. :)

Opal said...

I just love the way the Schaeffer Anne knit up! So handsome. I have a couple of skeins in my sock yarn bin that I'm tempted to start knitting now.

I adore Louet Gems! So soft and squishy.

LaurieM said...

What a coincidence! I just posted a pair of Schaefer Anne socks today too! Your's are gorgeous. They look like fine wood.

How many stitches did you put into your sock? What size needle did you use? I usually do my socks with 72 stitches on a 2.25mm needle, but with the Anne, I had to go to 2mm needle and I put 80 stitches in the foot. They seemed to take for ever.

I've got yarn leftover too, perhaps even enough for ankle socks.

So you've bought some solids. Are you planning on doing some texture or colorwork next?

CynCyn said...

swoon! look at all the purty colors. Love the socks (and what wonky stitch?) which makes me excited to use my own schaefer anne that's been waiting for me in the stash.

turtlegirl76 said...

Yes, toe-up is the key to ensuring you never run out of yarn. You might have shorter cuffs but that's preferable to a shorter toe! Or, rather, lack of toe!

Anonymous said...

One really needs solids and multi colors in ones stash. It's even better when it comes from a contest winning! Nice!

I love your stripey socks. Great colorway.

Kay-From the Back Yard said...

Dave, your socks always look so perfect. I had to look really, really closely to see what you thought was a bit of a problem. And I'm sure it will wash out.

limedragon :-: Harriet said...

The running-out-of-yarn curse is NO fun! :/ The pair you did finish looks great!

Jennifer said...

Lovely socks! I like the yarn acquisition too.

Romi said...

Great socks! And what a nice prize. :)

cynthb said...

Lovely socks :) That colourway is beautiful. Nice stash acquisitions too!

Aline said...

I was delighted to read your post about your friend Emmett. I grew up with his daughter and of course our big passion was knitting. How lovely to read your story, what a small world indeed. I am glad you shared such good times and I am sorry for your loss. Your blog is an inspiration of talent.
Take care

Chelsea said...

Those are som fabulous socks! :) I love the colorway - it seems to be very subtle while retaining visual interest.

Love the new yarns, too. Isn't Claudia's just so much fun? I just want to eat her colorways!

Teyani said...

love those socks. and I bet that the wonky stitch will ease itself into appropriate behaviour in a wash or two (grin)
Yeah, I'm with you on socks... one started on many colors.(grin)

Probably Jane said...

Impeccable yarn choices. I have some socks in both Claudia and Schaeffer Anne. They have both worn very well. The mohair in the Anne means that they develop a lovely fuzzy aura making them particularly warm despite their lightness.

Brigitte said...

Ottawa knitters! I grew up in Ottawa.

Um, so. It takes me so long to finish socks I've been known to mess up the second one by knitting it too small (or too big...). Oh, and not remembering what kind of heel I used. I try...socks aren't my strong point!

Nana Sadie said...

Yummy yarns! And the socks are really too gorgeous...I like that stripe!
(((hugs)))

Lynn said...

Great looking socks as usual. I REALLY love the colors you pick out. Colors that don't normally grab me but look great knitted up. Which leads me to your new sock acquisition. Again, VERY nice!

Sarah said...

I like the stripes! I have some Schaeffer Anne caked up waiting to be knit, I need to find just the right pattern, I like the fuzzy finish, I may need to get on those.

Minerva Turkey said...

Great socks, and lovely sock yarn! I think I may check out the Sock a Month KAL.

canknitian said...

Hi there...LOVE the socks! Quick question for you...how tall do you make your socks? And how much yarn do you typically use for a pair? I'm about to make a pair of socks for my beau and I'm wondering how far I can stretch the ball of Trekking Pro Natura he chose.

Big hug, and thanks in advance for your help,
j

jessie said...

Great socks!

I somehow got ignored on the SAM5 list, but that's okay. I've finished 2 pairs so far this year and have a third on the needles. I shall conquer socks.

a friend to knit with said...

fabulous socks......
i would be so happy to see those fun stripes! :)

BadCatDesigns said...

Nice socks! The stripes are unexpected and they look great. I am sorry to read about your knitting friend.

Taxastrikkeren said...

That blue yarn!Ohlalaaa - or whaau!I am knitting grey - yes,and a UFO in orage,red and a kind of purple.

Gitte from Denmark

Anonymous said...

I do like how that Shaefer Anne has knitted up. I have a skein in really dark colours -- greens and greys -- but the incredible yardage has put me off winding it into balls. I want a swift! =)

Anonymous said...

Wow - I love those socks!

Carol said...

Your new socks are fabulous! The striping is perfect! Nice new yarn too, thinking spring? Love that shade of blue.

kathy b said...

Happy to hear from you in blogworld. Great solids you choose. Don't you LOVE prizewinning. I do I do !

Anonymous said...

Wow! Gorgeous, gorgeous yarn! Sorry about the sock problems...honestly, do you ever look up at the heavens and say, 'why me? what did I do??' I know I sure do...a.lot.

Ang

Eric & Tony said...

Safari Anne looks great! And what perseverance you have. I would have been too concerned that I'd lost my sock mojo to continue.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, that Claudia Handpaint is the Oops colorway, isn't it? I am working on a pair of those and just love that yarn.

Anonymous said...

The subtle striping on your socks is beautiful! I really like these a lot.

I like my socks a little "taller" so instead of risking running out of yarn, I try to do most of my socks toe-up. Wouldn't it be better though if all sock yarn had more yardage?

Great stash enhancing. Those colors .. wow.. stunning!

Lacefreak said...

Beautiful socks and fabulous yarn as usual :-) If you check my blog, you will see you have an award :-)

Charles said...

Welcome back! DAVE!

Schaefer Anne socks came out really GREAT! Looking at your pic of finshed socks, I really need to finsh mine too!

Also Great prize you been won!
It gonna be color work sock? i can wait to see!

Also comment on my blog too!

Love...
Charles

Anonymous said...

I've never used Anne either, but good idea to choose that hefty yardage after all that trouble.

And I've definitely dropped a stitch around the gusset area more than once, so frustrating. Great prizes and great socks, and definitely well-earned!

Happily Knit said...

Those socks look perfect! What even gauge you have!

Carrie said...

I've given you a You Make Me Smile award on my blog, because you do! I enjoy seeing all of the knitted items on your blog and reading your thoughts. Have a great day!

JenPen said...

Hey!
You brought me back to knitting - I found your blog by accident and for a week already I read, and look at patterns, and check other blogs....and started knitting again.
Thank you, Dave.

Life's a Stitch said...

That was a beautiful post about Emmet. Wishing you comfort in your warm memories of him.
Li

Bianca said...

Good to see you posting again:-) Congrats on your winnings, I am sure they will turn into beautiful socks :-)

Anonymous said...

Very nice socks :)

I'm liking the Sock-a-Month 5, too, helps keep me focused on actually finishing something!

Charles said...

Hey Dave~

I just want to say wishing you best Valentine's Day!

Love,
Charles

Nano said...

Lovely socks! Gorgeous yarn and colors.

Five Ferns Fibreholic said...

I've had my yarn run out on a pair of socks before. It was with Koigu, I just wanted to cry. I finished the toe of the second sock with some similar coloured sock yarn from the left over bag.

Maybe that's why I've been knitting most of my socks from the toe up lately.