Sunday, February 17, 2008

SAM 5 - February done!

Oceanwind Knits fingering merino, in the Indigo colourway -- all together now, can we say "YUM"?



Yes, we can.

I found the colours in this yarn very hard to capture accurately. Overall, they read blue.

When you get up close, you can see the individual colours a bit better.

One hank had a bit more dark in it, so the socks don't have the same marbling effect, but given the wonderful softness of the yarn itself, I'll forgive that.



Lori hand paints and kettle dyes her yarns, so there's no pooling or striping.




The yarn itself was an absolute pleasure to knit with -- very much like Koigu in twist and weight, but better in yardage. I love these socks.

So, are you getting tired of seeing plain old socks around these parts? Seems that's all I've been knitting lately. I'm even beginning to bore myself, but that's all I've felt like lately. Maybe it's time to mix it up a bit. Or maybe not. Ye gads, I hate February. Is it spring yet? Sigh. Over and out.

65 people had something to say:

Anonymous said...

You just churn them socks out like muffins from an oven!

Great job. Love how the variegation turned out.

cosymakes said...

sometimes plain old socks are necessary... need i say, almost a work of art in their simplicity and necessariness :)

i love the color.

Unknown said...

Love that color!

Didn't you know that February is really the longest month of the year? And that Leap Year Day actually doesn't exist, but we're trapped in a time warp anyway, so they figured we wouldn't notice? I dislike February too.

Will Pillage For Yarn said...

wow. That colorway is stunning! Beautiful!

sheep#100 said...

Nice sock shots - the jeans help the blues to stand out in the pictures.

Marguerite said...

YUM! Very nice.

Sometimes it just feels good to knit socks, especially if the yarn is rewarding.

Cheer up! Only two more months until the daffodils are blooming. At least here in SW Michigan. Hope you don't have to wait longer in Ontario.

ingrid said...

I want to echo your love for Oceanwind Knits sock yarn -- it's my new favourite. I've already knit two pairs of socks out of this yarn and it is amazing. Yours look so beautiful!

fleegle said...

Double-yum! I adore Oceanwind Knits and have six skeins from here. Glorious colors, aren't they? Glorious socks, too!

Agnes said...

I see what you mean by "hard to capture" because the colour of the sock is so different from that of the yarn! But I think the yarn knitted up very lovely!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful socks Dave. I have some Oceanwind in the stash. If I ever manage to finish the unfinishable socks on my needles now I think I might just reach for some gorgeous handpaint and plain stockinette.

lexa said...

They may be plain socks, but I love them! Gorgeous colors, probably one of the nicest colorways I've seen in awhile.

I'll be glad when spring starts.

Diana said...

Socks and more socks only enhances sock perfection which you've managed to do. I like to always have a pair in the works. If that yarn is comparable to Koigu I must check it out too!

Zonda said...

Love that colorway, interesting how hard it is sometimes to capture the true colors. Enjoy wearing them, they look really comfy! :)

Jennifer said...

Very lovely socks. There's nothing wrong with plain socks. Comfort knitting at its best, I say.

Anonymous said...

Love that yarn...doesn't seem to be much pooling. I hope spring will hurry up and get here, too!

Ang

Kerry said...

Oh my! They are gorgeous!!! I don't think I could ever get tired of seeing pictures of beautiful socks. Keep 'em coming! :-)

Anonymous said...

pretty pretty!

Lynn said...

The socks are absolutely gorgeous, and I don't usually *like* blue. She has a great eye for color, and you have the knitting skills to show off the yarn to advantage.

Well done!

Anonymous said...

Plain? You call those socks plain? The mind boggles. This pair especially looks fab w/jeans.

Kay-From the Back Yard said...

Dave, the colors look like a Monet painting. And your plain socks are so perfectly knitted that I wouldn't ever call them plain!

Lynn said...

I NEVER consider our socks plain! You've got great yarn and a simple pattern is the best way to show it off! I like my yarn to do the talking and I ALWAYS love the yarn you choose!!!

Probably Jane said...

Very beautiful yarn, and a plain sock shows it to its best advantage. I have far too many socks in progress myself to tire of seeing a good pair!

Karen said...

With yarn as gorgeous as that, those socks are anything but "plain old".

Delana said...

You've been given a "You Make my Day" Award. Check out my blog for details.

I'm a horrible commenter, but I read religiously :o)

Charles said...

HEY DAVE~~
Love to see another Feb socks is DONE! Yum~

And my kntting video cast is up! Come and CHECK OUR what do you think! In this episode #7 is about the spring man's knitwear!

Thanks!
Charles

Nana Sadie said...

Lovely socks! But I know what you mean...where IS spring?
(((hugs)))

Opal said...

Those socks are definitely not boring. They're just delicious.

Jenny Raye said...

Yummm is right! They remind me of a favorite old pair of jeans.

Angelika said...

Who cares about a boring pattern if the color is so great. I love the way the little bit of pink/purple sneaks up on you.

LaurieM said...

The colors in those socks are so beautifully calming and relaxing. I lurves them. If you'd done anything to them, the wouldn't have been as pretty because the colors are so subtle. Less is more in this case!

I've been stuck on socks for a while too. It's the terrible, no good, rotten weather. But I'm starting to pick up, and I'm sure you will too.

Jessica said...

Lovely! Definitely some great dye work there.

Anonymous said...

I love those socks! With such pretty yarn, I like plain socks... it shows the yarn well.

Jason said...

Oh I do love the subtle patterning of the colors. Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

The colors in the sock are amazing!

Anonymous said...

It's actually quite refreshing to see a pair of socks with no patterning on them. And if the yarn is a pleasure to knit with, then it's a win-win. They look very nice.

Hang in there ... spring IS coming.

Anonymous said...

Plain old socks are my favourite - so perfect in their simplicity.

Marjorie said...

Those socks are beautiful--and they complement the many wonderful pairs you've been knitting. Having just gotten bitten a bit by the sock-knitting bug, I find your FOs inspiring. So I say, keep knitting socks if that's what pleases you.

Sarah said...

I like them. A pattern would have hidden that gorgeous yarn. Nothing boring about hand knit socks any day.

turtlegirl76 said...

Love the socks. They certainly are NOT plain with all the subtle colors shining through! They're like a prism!

Knit Picking said...

You have been given the "you make my day" award. Please check my blog for details :)
I'm so glad to see this post, as I bought the same yarn and wondered about pooling (striping doesn't bother me much).

Anonymous said...

The socks look amazing! That color, that's gorgeous! And I think the simplicity of stockinette definitely shows it off at its advantage!

... and I never knew of this blog until now! Shame on me! :)

Anonymous said...

Never! Plain socks show off the yarn so well!

Carrie said...

Mmmm, those socks look great - definitely jeans socks. They look really soft. I was just kicking around yesterday whether or not to start socks from Merino, but I think you've helped me make up my mind =)

Terby said...

Lovely. Those are the kind of socks I would wear often, and love most. I'll have to look for Oceanwind Knits - I haven't seen their yarn in the US, but I've been mostly ordering online lately.

Calvin said...

Beautiful socks, Dave.

nova said...

I loved this post with the gorgeous pictures of the yarn and socks and your descriptions; but my favorite bit..."...very much like Koigu...but better in yardage." Yes, please.

Abigail said...

I like plain old socks especially yours.

The blue looks like the Florida ocean which I see almost daily.

Enjoy them!

annmarie said...

thanks so much for your comment on my blog! :) how interesting that only a day apart we are both musing on the charms of the 'plain old sock'. your work is lovely and does 'plain' proud.

Carol said...

Socks are never boring! Especially gorgeous blues ones...

Anonymous said...

Those socks are just beautiful. Love the way the colours blend without striping or pooling. No, I'm not tired of your plain socks. They showcase the gorgeous yarns you use. :o) You must soon start to feel spring in the air. I can sense Autumn in the sunshine here already which is unheard of in February!

Anonymous said...

YUM! Those socks are fabulous.

Stephanie said...

Gorgeous.
The socks remind me of the sky and how the light plays on the clouds at times.

Hope the February Blahs leave you soon - it's nearly March :)

randi K design said...

Thanks for the inspiring comment!
Your sock production is fantastic! I just started one of these modern sock patterns a couple of days ago, I'm enjoying it. With "modern" I mean these with intricate pattern and thin yarn. Where I grew up we always used thick woolen socks, knitted "straight forward", fast and warm more important then intricate at the time..
I love all the socks you knit, and it is very helpful to read about the different yarn brands you use.
I will come back here to learn!
Have a great weekend, Dave,
Randi

Anonymous said...

I love the socks!!!
I have yet to finish a pair :(

I hope to make a pair very soon

Thanks for the inspiration!

Five Ferns Fibreholic said...

Wow you just seem to pump out those things faster than I can even cast a sock on.

Sigh...it's not Spring...yet...but not to worry...soon....very soon...

Minerva Turkey said...

I like plain socks....it gives the yarn a chance to be the center of attention instead of the pattern. Plus I really enjoy the meditative nature of straight knitting once in a while.

Anonymous said...

Plain socks are the best when you have such beautiful subtle color changes to work with, fantastic pair!

If you count how many months snow is possible, you realize somewhere along the line we're getting ripped off (guess I'm not a glass-half-full kind of gal today). :P

Charles said...

Hey Dave~

WOW GREAT Socks! You did awesome JOB!

If you listen to knitting podcast...I just post new blog.. It is BIG NEWS..Check it out!


Love...
Charles

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you back at it!
Two lovely pairs of socks - I'm inspired. I think I'll knit on a pair as soon as I finish this comment.

Anonymous said...

I always enjoy your socks because they are plain and show the yarn. Although I am a woman, I really do prefer plain socks. They fit better, they stay up, and I just like the yarn. Prehaps I differ in that I love self striping yarn. It's a meditation type of thing.

Miriam said...

love the color of those socks. I would call them warm caribbean water socks. the reason I logged on here tonight is to tell you I have just finished my first successful garterlac washcloth. woo hooo.

thanks for all you do.
miriam

monica said...

Sometimes the yarn just wants to be stockinette stitch. I think they are beautiful. I love the colors.

Anonymous said...

That is a yummy colorway ... and it worked perfectly with the plain old pattern. And nope, I'm not getting tired of seeing plain old socks. They knit up faster, don't they ;)

Knit - R - Done said...

Nice hat! My husband needs to wear black with his Air Force uniform, but I bet I could get away with the Koolhaas based on your picture.

Shelly Hattan said...

Oh, I think you need to come to the dark side and get a Circular Sock Knitting Machine (CSM).

Bwa ha ha ha ha.

You can whip out a pair of these socks in a matter of hours.