Monday, March 10, 2008

Black and White

Ya know, I really didn't think I'd get it finished before the end of winter.


I was wrong.



Yup, a Koolhaas, with Kat hair, on a Kanister, by the Kerb.

Once I saw these start to appear in blogland in black, I was hooked, and I don't even wear black. I mean, I have some black pants, and some black shoes, but that's about it. For some reason, this resonated.

I made the larger size, so it would keep my ears and forehead covered when I'm using winter's other ultimate accessory.


Since we keep getting more and more of this stuff.

57 people had something to say:

Anonymous said...

Very nice! Looks great on you! The red shovel is the perfect accent! Your deck looks like MY deck!!!

Zonda said...

Wow..um..a bit of snow there! Well your new fab hat will keep you warm! :)

Anonymous said...

that is one sweet hat! happy Digging!

Anonymous said...

I love a man who knows how to accessorize.

Anonymous said...

That's a lotta snow! Good thing you have a hat!

The hat turned out nicely. Good job! Now ... looks like you need to head out with that snow shovel.

Charity said...

This looks great! Very... Kute?

When you're finished your shoveling, feel free to come by and take care of mine, too! :0) I've decided to pretend it's not there, and knit green things until I see some for real.

Kerry said...

What a great hat! Matches the shovel perfectly. :-)

HPNY KNITS said...

very kool!!

Unknown said...

Wow! that is an amazing hat. looks great on you. Nice shovel too :)

picperfic said...

wow that hat looks great on you, you did a fab job on it. And that snow! Amazing to live where it snows like that..

Anonymous said...

Must make one - yours is great! Was it rough on the hands, being a finer gauge with thicker yarn?

fleegle said...

That's a handsome hat indeed! And looks appropriately warm, too.

Kay-From the Back Yard said...

Very nice, Dave. You got it finished just in time to enjoy wearing it a bit before Spring arrives (it will).

The photo with the shovel was very Grant Woodish.

Marjorie said...

That is such a great design, and your version looks very nice. What yarn did you use for it?

Sarah said...

It looks great. Here's hoping you won't have to wear it for too much longer (at least for this winter)!

Virtuous said...

LOL @ your other winter accessory!! :o)

Yep that was real smart to have it cover your ears! Haha!

Seems like you WILL get use out of it while the last few snowfalls happen!

Stay KOOL over there! ;o)

Mama Urchin said...

That photo is very American Gothic. I really like the hat in black.

Nana Sadie said...

We match! I love your black Koolhaas, but then I love mine!!!
And yes, it's a challenge to knit, huh?
Your red shovel is perfect...hope you don't have too many more opportunities to use it, but maybe a little longer to wear the hat?
((((hgus))))

Julie said...

I don't know how you find time to knit with all the shoveling you must be doing! The hat looks great, nice choice :)

Anonymous said...

Kool hat! And sexy shovel.

Alwen said...

What can I say that hasn't already been said?

I know! Nice shovel. Looks new.

chemgrrl said...

Woah, your Koolhaus kicks, um...kaboodles. Yeah.

sko_G knits said...

looks really nice in black!!

Chelsea said...

Wow - this is really beautiful. What yarn did you use for this? It turned out great, and looks fabu on you, too! :)

Sarah said...

Perfect accessories. But what's all that white stuff out there ;-)

zoe said...

Great hat, great fit, and great pic!

Opal said...

That is some serious snow out there. Good thing you have such a snazzy hat to keep you warm!

Emma said...

Ah, it's beautiful. And it looks reallly good on you, too. Bonus!

Jennifer said...

Very handsome hat! Looks like you need it with all the white stuff.

Marlene said...

Kool hat. And you didn't even get to turn a heel.

Anonymous said...

I think black looks fine on you! And you did a great job as always. I'd heard Canada has had a lot more snow recently. Hope you soon get some spring warmth!

Carol said...

Very nice. You got to wear the hat in the snow. Now if the snow would just go AWAY. *whimper*

Mary Lou said...

And it's still March - that stuff can keep coming. Very nice hat

limedragon :-: Harriet said...

Koolhaas looks great! The snow will go away soon, I promise. Down here we're having a downright balmy week so far.

CelticCastOn said...

it looks fantastic! suprising how well the pattern still shows up on black.
My goodness you do look familar to me in that picture, must remind me of someone around here just can't put my finger on it.

canknitian said...

I am SO tired of snow! GAH!

In other news...I love your hat! I've been scheming about hats to make for my Dave and this might be just the ticket. Just the right amount of texture.

Speaking of Dave -- I've got a pair of socks on the needles for him, finally. Thanks again for all of your help! I've just turned the heel on a pair of Stansfield #10s in Trekking Pro Natura (blue and green). So far, so good!

lexa said...

Love the hat! How much snow can continue to fall?! Enough already! I feel bad for Ontario/Quebec/NB, its just been crazy.

Marguerite said...

The hat looks great and I'm jealous of your large red snowshovel. Next year I'm buying one of those. This year, if it snows any more I'm shutting the curtains and going back to bed until it melts.

Anonymous said...

That hat looks nice and warm, and it seems you really needed it (not to mention that shovel---what a lot of snow!)

Five Ferns Fibreholic said...

To quote yourself "I feel your pain"

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

The hat looks great! Wow, you guys do have a lot of snow. I know back home in NB they've gotten TONS of it...I kind of miss it (I know, I'm sick), especially since they barely got any here in Korea.

Frieda said...

Love the hat , looks great on you ! Hope you can put that shovel away soon .

Anonymous said...

Fantastic job and fit on your hat!

BEESTLYproducts said...

awwww. it looks gr8!
i could kick myself for not buying that issue of interweave.

Lacefreak said...

That looks fabulous even though you seldom wear black! Form and function. It's great when it works both ways :-) Great knitting!

DebbieKnitter said...

oh wow, that looks GREAT on you and nice and warm too:)

Will Pillage For Yarn said...

Love it!! And you've certainly got the snow to enjoy it for a while too!

Bravo :-D

monica said...

I absolutely love that hat. I am going to have to make one. I am sure it will keep you warm as you shovel.

Taxastrikkeren said...

I made one of theese to.In a kind of blue.I want one in red or black but here in Denmark there is no snow this year.Just rain and grey clouds.

Gitte from Denmark

Anonymous said...

Great hat! I'm glad we're done with that snow stuff in my neck of the woods. (Hopefully!)

Diane said...

So we have a new answer to the old joke: What's black and white and red all over? Dave in his black hat carrying his red shovel in the snow. Love the hat!

dickie said...

I didn't think the Koolhaas would look good in black. I figured the cables would be lost... but, it looks great! I think I might have to do one in black now. =)

Anonymous said...

Cool hat Dave. [I've never seen so much snow in my life!]

Teyani said...

winter's ultimate accessory - you crack me up!!
Fabulous hat Dave - I have been itching to make this pattern too!!

Romi said...

Hee. :)

Great hat!

Life's a Stitch said...

It is now April 19 and snow is forecast here in YVR, while I hear you are basking in the sunshine. At least it's good knitting weather.

Anonymous said...

I see I wasn't the only one who got an "American Gothic" vibe from the photo of the hat/shovel! (Kay's comment above)

My knitting pal made two Koolhaas hats this winter. She picked up knitting over the winter and jumped right into sweaters, hats, cables, etc. I was showing her on the Rav how many people had made the hat and she was amazed!

Yours is amazing, too!