Friday, April 18, 2008

Twist and Shout

I had a bit of time between Round 1 and Round 2 of Sock Madness, so I knit ... some socks.



When Michelle posted about a pair of socks that she knit a while ago, I commented on how much I liked them. Luckily for me, she was writing up the pattern and asked if I would be interested in test knitting it for her. Of course I said yes.


Super fun, super fast, and super socks. The pattern was very well written and easy to follow -- so easy that I was able to make my first toe-up heel flap socks by just following her direction. I didn't realize it was ... easy- LOL!!


Please excuse the brown socks on grey concrete photos ... I was so happy with the socks that I didn't think about the background.


The pattern is now available either from Michelle's blog or directly from Ravelry. Give it a try ... I think you'll like it.

I must admit to being a bad test knitter, though. I couldn't help but mess around with the ribbing at the top of the sock. Just change the first and last stitches of the chart, and then knit in pattern instead of 1x1, and you get this.


In the Other News Department, Laura has devised a very clever cast-on that works wonderfully for entrelac and she's given me permission to link to it from the Garterlac pattern page. Thanks very much, Laura -- I'm finally getting around to it. Apologies to the rest of you if that page shows up in your feed readers again because I mucked about with it.

45 people had something to say:

Anonymous said...

Those are great-looking socks! The pattern reminds of old-fashioned eggbeaters. I like your ribbing mod too.

Chelle said...

Gorgeous socks Dave!

punkin said...

I like your socks very much. Nicely done! I will have to look up that pattern.

Chelsea said...

Oooh, I really love these ones! This is a fabulous pattern. And great yarn choice - subtle enough not to take away from the pattern, but has some cool flecks of color. These are some great socks! :)

Soo said...

Definitely a good looking pair of socks. Another pattern for the already too large sock pattern stack!!

Julie said...

You've successfully tempted me into purchasing yet another sock pattern :) Those are gorgeous!

fleegle said...

The socks are both handsome and visually interesting. And of course, your ribbing mod is clever and looks much nicer than the original :)

jessie said...

Nice socks. Why can't I crank out a pair like that? One month is hardly enough time for me.

Sarah said...

Why not knit socks while you're waiting for the next socks to knit ;-)
That's a great pattern, I like the change you made to the ribbing- Aren't those little details you want someone to notice when they test knit a pattern?

Virtuous said...

Ooh I really like that sock pattern and will have to check it out! Great pairing with the yarn as well! (never heard of it so Thx!) :o)

Good to hear from you!

Carole Knits said...

Those are terrific. I'm still waiting to try toe up. If you could do it simply by following the directions in this pattern then perhaps this is the one for me to use, too.

Calvin said...

Great work on the socks, Dave. I may have to purchase the pattern. I've never seen a heel-flap done on toe-up socks. I normally just do a short row heel. I say this like I've knit a lot of socks, but only a couple, actually.

turtlegirl76 said...

OOh very pretty! That pattern just pops out at you. Wonderful pattern for subtle yarn.

Zonda said...

Fabulous socks there! Thanks for the link for the pattern :) I love socks knit on US 3's :)

Opal said...

I love these socks! Cabley goodness! Hrm. Cabley? I hope you get what I mean. LOL

Nana Sadie said...

Nice socks! Did you say your FIRST pair of toe-ups?
*wink*
I love toe-ups!
(((hugs)))

lexa said...

Very nice socks! I love the tweediness. I must print that pattern off.

Valerie Polichar said...

The new socks are very classy! Plus they look comfy. Hmmm. Very tempted to purchase that pattern.

Anonymous said...

These just look like mine that i finished test knitting! Coool!

Anonymous said...

I love those. I don't know what else to say. Nothing clever wants to come out of my fingers. But anyway, I love those. :)

Knit - R - Done said...

Thanks for the link to the cast on. I've recently fallen in love with entrelac.

Anonymous said...

Lovely! [I love the matching backdrop - minimal and stylish].

Holly Jo said...

Your socks turned out great. Nice to hear the toe-up heel was pretty easy.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful earthy colours and I love the way you've personalized them. Very nice indeed. I will have to add these to my queue. :o)

Anonymous said...

That was a good yarn choice, the colored speckles stand out rather nicley. Great pattern and knitting job. Take care, Joanne

Anonymous said...

I like that yarn! I love tweed. Where to find it? Also, that looks like some twisted stitches there, Dave. What method did you employ to get these looking so neat?
Ang

BEESTLYproducts said...

oooooooo!

i love them!

Anonymous said...

Those are awesome!

nova said...

That is a nice pattern, and I do like the way you tweaked the ribbing to flow into the pattern. Very nice job.

Morticcia said...

That is a fabulous pattern. Your socks are gorgeous. I'm gonna have to run of to the rav pronto!

Thanks for the link.

Five Ferns Fibreholic said...

What a fab pattern. Good Job on the socks. I agree with Nova, I like the tweaking you did on the ribbing.

Laura said...

Love the socks. I really like what you did with the ribbing at the top, too.

monica said...

Love the tweaking you did on the rib, That is a great looking sock I will have to go check that pattern out.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful pattern! The choice of yarn with its little tweedy bits is great for these, and your mods to the ribbing give a nice touch.

HPNY KNITS said...

love the socks! your version is much better in a more subtle yarn that shows the great patter.
very inspiring.

Jenny Raye said...

Yummmm! Nice socks, Dave!

Carrie said...

Ooo, I really like those socks. I'm going to Michelle's site to nab the pattern! Nice knitting!

Anonymous said...

Nice! Welcome to the world of toe-up. ;o)

Bianca said...

Beautiful socks! Bet you'll have warm feet in them. I like the detailed photos.

krysten said...

these are so nice! well done!

found you through the SAM KAL5. :)

Anonymous said...

Those socks are so cool. I especially love the color you used. I know what you mean about wanting to change the design when knitting socks. It's sometimes so hard to test knit the pattern as written.

Nan said...

Awesome out come on the socks, I have been wanting to learn toe up socks but have been too chicken to try it, sounds to me you suggest this pattern for a first time toe upper? Love the results you achieved, great job!

Patricia said...

Its great to view yarn thats is novel and not glimpsed before. The socks are lovely and the concrete makes for a terrific background.

Romi said...

Those are great!

Deborah said...

love what you did to the ribbing. perfect!