You may correctly surmise from the fact that I haven't been madly posting finished Sock Madness socks that I was eliminated. Yup, I got the boot a sock and a half into round two, and here is the culprit.
The Round 2 pattern was Reversai - now available to purchase here. While I quite like the stitch pattern, the sock itself is a bit of gimmick. It's reversible, with a garter stitch short row heel, garter sole and garter toe. It was nice to try the garter heel, and I intend to play with it a bit more. As near as I can tell, it fit my high instep using half the stitches, but I'm not sure if the garter sole was a factor in that. I do know that I didn't care for the garter toe and I wouldn't wear them as knit, and even though the sock doesn't look too bad in the picture, in real life the stitch pattern was obscured by the colouration of the yarn, so they've been ripped.
I did, however, re-do them as "normal" socks. I will admit that after having already just about finished a pair, getting what was essentially sock number four finished gave me a major case of Fourth Sock Syndrome. They're done, now, though, and I'm quite happy with the result.
With a solid yarn and a flap heel and normal sole and my regular toe, I'm a happy camper. This yarn has some a bit of silk in it, which gives the fabric a nice sheen that plays well with the texture of the pattern.
I was a bit worried about the toes. With a 44-row stitch pattern, you can't be quite sure if you'll end up at a good place to put in the toes. I lucked out and it worked out perfectly.
A word about the yarn: it's Regia Silk, 55 % wool, 25 % polyamid and 20 % silk. It feels completely different from regular Regia, and it was nice to work with. I'm not sure I'd use it again, though, because both skeins were literally littered with lint, from start to finish. I initially was picking it out, but finally gave up, hoping it would wash out. It didn't, so I guess I'll be picking lint as I notice it. You can actually see a piece of it in the close-up picture, on the right toe above and just to the left of the label below.
I went back to the LYS to see if the other skeins were similar. I didn't notice any lint, but everything that was left on the shelf looked ... fuzzy. Regia has normally been a good reliable yarn, but I don't think I'll be getting any more of this particular one.
Another reason it look so long to finish these socks is that I've been more than a little distracted by this: