Saturday, May 10, 2008

Unreversai

You may correctly surmise from the fact that I haven't been madly posting finished Sock Madness socks that I was eliminated. Yup, I got the boot a sock and a half into round two, and here is the culprit.


The Round 2 pattern was Reversai - now available to purchase here. While I quite like the stitch pattern, the sock itself is a bit of gimmick. It's reversible, with a garter stitch short row heel, garter sole and garter toe. It was nice to try the garter heel, and I intend to play with it a bit more. As near as I can tell, it fit my high instep using half the stitches, but I'm not sure if the garter sole was a factor in that. I do know that I didn't care for the garter toe and I wouldn't wear them as knit, and even though the sock doesn't look too bad in the picture, in real life the stitch pattern was obscured by the colouration of the yarn, so they've been ripped.

I did, however, re-do them as "normal" socks. I will admit that after having already just about finished a pair, getting what was essentially sock number four finished gave me a major case of Fourth Sock Syndrome. They're done, now, though, and I'm quite happy with the result.



With a solid yarn and a flap heel and normal sole and my regular toe, I'm a happy camper. This yarn has some a bit of silk in it, which gives the fabric a nice sheen that plays well with the texture of the pattern.

I was a bit worried about the toes. With a 44-row stitch pattern, you can't be quite sure if you'll end up at a good place to put in the toes. I lucked out and it worked out perfectly.


A word about the yarn: it's Regia Silk, 55 % wool, 25 % polyamid and 20 % silk. It feels completely different from regular Regia, and it was nice to work with. I'm not sure I'd use it again, though, because both skeins were literally littered with lint, from start to finish. I initially was picking it out, but finally gave up, hoping it would wash out. It didn't, so I guess I'll be picking lint as I notice it. You can actually see a piece of it in the close-up picture, on the right toe above and just to the left of the label below.


I went back to the LYS to see if the other skeins were similar. I didn't notice any lint, but everything that was left on the shelf looked ... fuzzy. Regia has normally been a good reliable yarn, but I don't think I'll be getting any more of this particular one.

Another reason it look so long to finish these socks is that I've been more than a little distracted by this:

52 people had something to say:

turtlegirl76 said...

Oh wow. First of all, Reversai take 2 looks freakin' FANTASTIC in that solid color. Shame about the yarn though. Who wants linty socks before you've had a chance to lint them up naturally with wear? Blah. Love the Ornette Socks. They look incredibly interesting.

Mary Lou said...

Those are beautiful socks. As one who does only brainless socks, I am truly impressed!

Kay-From the Back Yard said...

As you know, I am a "brainless sock" knitter, too. And I'm blown away by your blue Reversai socks! I really like patterned socks done in plain colored yarn. Patterned socks in patterned yarn is tricky--sort of like mixing pattern on pattern in clothing or decorating. It can be done, but it takes a good eye.

So you are test knitting the Ornette socks? They look good in the bright blue.

Debi said...

I have been dying to knit "Ornette" since I first saw them on Cookie's blog...yours are stunning already!

Teyani said...

oh Dave, they're stunning. what a beautiful stitch pattern.
and hey- I just realized you ALSO knit up four socks (guess we've both been busy) You get BIG points for perseverance.
And that cookie a. pattern... yummy. you lucky dog getting to test knit.
love that blue.

Anonymous said...

The colour you completed the socks in shows the patterning within very nicely. The design with the pattern is beautiful, and they look like a comfortable pair.
Sorry to hear that you'd been booted from the Madness. Sounds like it was a lot of fun to participate.

Lynn said...

*So* pleasing in the solid yarn. Know what you mean about the "odd" stitch count; I've been working Anastasia over 66.

Stephanie said...

Gorgeous work - I envy you your test knitting, that Ornette looks fantastic!

fleegle said...

Wow, Dave--those are absolutely gorgeous! And your little teaser is beautiful too!

Funny, the very first pair of socks I made for Roy was with the blue Regia wool/silk, and there was no lint in the skeins at all. And the stuff wears like iron.

LaurieM said...

I like both set of Reversai socks. I wonder about your yarn store, because I've also had an excellent experience with Regia silk. It's gorgeous yarn and mine also wore very well indeed.

So what's that exciting thing you've got on your needles? It looks like a Cookie A or a Cat Bordi pattern.

HPNY KNITS said...

the regia silk is lovely for these socks. the lint is from the silk. I had that with other yarns that have some silk in it.

sheep#100 said...

Flashing back to teen years and Q-bert!

Paula said...

I love the solid-coloured socks. Too bad about the lint. I can see how working on the new socks would require considerable focus!

Opal said...

Gorgeous Reversai! It's too bad about the Regia silk though. Thanks for the warning.

Now I want to know what pattern you're working on now. That doesn't look like the Reversai. I'm totally intrigued.

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

How funny, I picked up some of that Regia Silk at MDSW and it felt exactly as you described it...linty!

knitspot anne said...

that's a beautiful sock though; it's worth playing with it to get it feeling just right.

Anonymous said...

Oh No!!! Now there are TWO more patterns to add to my queue! You always provide me with a new temptation...and this time two of them! Bad enabler!!!
Sorry to hear that you were eliminated.

Soo said...

I love the first sock in the solid yarn. And I can't wait for Cookie's pattern to be released. It looks like a masterpiece in sock form!

limedragon :-: Harriet said...

Reversai looks great; shame about the lint. I like the color you're using for Ornette. : )

chemgrrl said...

Ornette! Ooo! You lucky duck.

Arctic Knitter said...

Your socks are awesome! I think I'll have to add Reversal to my Road Trip Knitting Projects. Ornett looks like fun! Thanks for sharing!

Virtuous said...

Despite the boot and linty sock yarn the socks are fantastic!

I can see why you are in a trance about your other socks OTN. The color is wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Just one more person telling you how beautiful your socks are!!

Chelle said...

Those socks are simply gorgeous Dave!

Valerie Polichar said...

I love how these look in the solid. Regia Silk is one of my favorite sock yarns to touch and knit, but I haven't worn a pair of socks made with it enough to tell if it'll pill.. what a shame that it does.

Anonymous said...

Oooh...cabley. :)

Carrie said...

I would think it would be really difficult not to get eliminated in sock wars. I'm sorry it happened to you, though. =/ And really, you always have the prettiest socks. I'm going to check out the patterns right now.

Nana Sadie said...

LOVE the solid color sock #3 & 4! and that Cookie A sock you're working on there, in the royal blue? Stunning!
(((hugs)))

Lynn said...

Oh they are beautiful!!!! Interesting abt the silk yarn, I wonder how they'll wear??

Regardless, I really love that pattern, you did a great job!

Anonymous said...

OMG - so awesome.

Calvin said...

This is, by far, my favorite sock that you've knitted so far. The color sets off the pattern brilliantly. Well done.

Anonymous said...

Me likey! Love the Reversai. I'm going to have to try that patter. Toe up, though, I think. :-)

Ornette is very cool, too. That almost looks like it's based on (or inspired by) Cat Bordhi's Coriolis architecture. But with lots of neat stuff going on.

EGunn said...

You make me want to be a sock knitter. I have tried, and I think patterned socks are hopeless in my case (I'd much rather be making lace!). But then I see socks like these...
I especially love the Reversai in the solid color; the pattern is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Those are amazing socks!!

Julie said...

I'm catching up on my blog reading now that company has gone home. I have to admit I like the pattern much better as you have reworked it. Perhaps there'll be a pair of unreversai somewhere in my sock future. They are just stunning in that yarn, the pattern pops so beautifully!

Anonymous said...

4th sock syndrome? The mind boggles. The end result looks worth it though, those are some fabulous looking socks.

Beverly said...

Great socks and with a great name.

Jennifer said...

I love the Rev 2! Very nice. I have a couple skeins of that Regia silk. I'm disappointed to hear of the fuzziness.

lexa said...

I don't think a garter heel and toe would do anything for me. I really like the second attempt! It's an interesting pattern, and it shows well in the Regia. Too bad about the lint. It's kinda weird for Regia.

Anonymous said...

I just love the socks that you can reverse, and I love them even more since you reid them. I do ahve to ponder the notion though . . . why would I want to reverse my socks? Hmmm . . . just cuz?

Marjorie said...

Both those designs are beautiful--and what a cool idea, socks that reverse.

Romi said...

Those are awesome. :)

Probably Jane said...

Very handsome socks!

Life's a Stitch said...

Your socks are amazing.

Anonymous said...

Very cool pattern - and your new socks look so intriguing!

Anonymous said...

Dave, you're a master. Seriously, those socks are these most interesting and well knit I've seen, ever. Nice job. Sorry to hear you got 'the boot.' Madness for sure.
Ang

Sourire11 said...

Those are so wonderful! Great texture - they look great in that yarn.

Jenny Raye said...

I love those socks! Very, very cool.

Lacefreak said...

Your socks are fantastic! I love how you have matching stitch markers for the blue beauty you are being distracted by. Wonderful knitting as usual!

gray la gran said...

fantasitc socks, as always! the first ones remind me of q-bert (sp?) (video game of the 80's with little fellow hopping on blocks).
and the last sock ... wow! i can't wait to see that one progess.

i have some regia silk in stash. and i even started a sock with it, ... sometime ago, somewhere. and yes, it was quite fuzzy. it made me think that perhaps i should not invest in a highly detailed stitch pattern, as it will end up being fuzzed over.

happy knitting!

Patricia said...

Great socks! I just happen to have some of that Regia in my stash.

Anonymous said...

I'm still wondering why the recommended yarn for the Reversai sock was a multi-color yarn. I don't like mine at all, but I think I'd love them with the changes you made. They look fantastic!