Thursday, October 16, 2008

Mystic Earth - Clue 1

Clue 3 of the Mystic Earth KAL came out this week. I, being on the slow side, have just finished Clue 1. The shawl is what I would call sampler style, meaning that there are panels of different stitch patterns, each within a box of eyelets. Although that's not my favourite type of design, it does mean that just when you start to get a bit bored, you start doing something altogether different. For someone like me whose attention tends to wander with bigger projects, this is probably a good thing.




The shawl theme was also revealed this week. There are four panels, with each one representing a season. Clue 1 is Spring, with a waving leaf motif, meant to symbolize the emergence of budding growth.

The construction has been fun. You first knit the bottom border, and then turn it on its side and pick up stitches along the straight edges for the body of the shawl. I admit that I was a bit scared of that at first. Even though at times it seemed like I was doing it more by feel than by sight, I think it came out alright.


The edging on the sides is then knit along with the main pattern.


It's an interesting pattern, with just enough wrong side row action to keep you awake. The waves are created by K2togs and SSKs and YOs, but you then purl into the back of the YOs on the return rows to close them up. The only YOs that remain are those within the leaves.


I apologize for the crappy photos -- it appears that my camera will have trouble with this colour. The top photo is the most accurate, but it's more vibrant in real life.

Clue 2 is Summer and looks to be more complicated than Clue 1 -- don't expect to see it soon. :-)

In the Other News Department, spindling continues. I finally managed to create a three-ply sock weight with the last little bit of the practice roving that came with my learn to spin kit. It knits up nicely at 10 sts/in on 2.0 mm needles.

That means it's time to try to maintain it long enough to make enough for some actual socks.


I love my new spindle. It's made of mesquite, walnut and maple, and the inset is jasper - a Ledbetter from Ball and Skein. The roving is from All Spun Up. Again, this is taking a while, so don't expect to see finished socks any time soon.

Yes, I'm practising patience. I think it's a good thing. Probably.

31 people had something to say:

Knit - R - Done said...

Lovely work. I'm a sucker for unusual construction.

Abigail said...

OMG, the shawl is stunning!!!

Yarndude said...

Ooh, what an interesting technique with closing up the YOs. I never would have thought of that, your shawl look lovely by the way.

I wish I had to patience to continue with my drop spindling, but instead it just sits there on top of a pound of roving...

fleegle said...

It"s beautiful, Dave! Very wiggly. Reminiscent of worms as they reach for the spring sunlight :)

Sarah said...

The shawl sounds a little intimidating, but I can see it's worth it.

The spinning is looking good, too! I can see that you've discovered my favorite dyer. Does this mean we'll now be competing for roving?

Opal said...

The shawl is beautiful and it looks like a lot of fun to knit. Don't you just adore All Spun Up's fiber?

Kay-From the Back Yard said...

I really like the color of your shawl...and your newly spun yarn.

Oh and the drop spindle. My spinning kit (still in it's designated corner) came with a real Spartan drop spindle. Will it work? That depends on the coordination of its operator, I'm sure.

Jean said...

You are just so much fun, its good to see a new post from you. The shawl sounds interesting to knit and I will be most patient as I await your knitting a sock from your own homespun yarn. (just a little jealous of all your talents).

handknit168 said...

since the shawl hasn't been finished, it is already very great and beautiful.

Nana Sadie said...

What a lovely shawl!!! And I'm impressed with your spindling...since I'm learning vicariously.

(((hugs)))

May said...

clue 1 looks great. Can't wait to see the rest :)

Anonymous said...

That is a gorgeous pattern, Dave. Your knitting is always so beautiful.

sgeddes said...

The shawl is wonderful. So pretty.

Your spinning is coming along great. Your three ply looks great. They say patience is a virtue but I've never had much of it.

Alwen said...

That's a fascinating stitch pattern, and my brain immediately took off trying to figure it out. It must be time to start something other than socks!

Micki said...

You've made phenomenal spinning progress! And I can't wait to see how your stole turns out.

Zonda said...

That shawl in progress is just gorgeous, I love the patterning. Go you on the spindling as well! :)

gilraen said...

I love how your shawl is looking! Beautiful :)

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

The shawl is looking wonderful so far! I must get my spinning out again and work at it...

turtlegirl76 said...

oooh that shawl is gonna be pretty! That's an interesting way to start off a shawl. Wonder how they'll end it.

Teyani said...

your shawl is stunning - truly.

and your spinning. wow. I can't believe how consistent it is for as short a time as you have been spinning.. fabulous.
You might want to ply a bit more snuggly for socks - email me and I'll share what little tidbits I might know about this.

Jackie's Stitches said...

The scarf is lovely!

bockstark.knits said...

The shawl is amazing!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! The shawl is gorgeous!

Diane said...

Very nice shawl and I love the color of the yarn you are working with.

Marjorie said...

The shawl is beautiful. I've never knit a sampler shawl, but I keep staring at the one in VLT. I like being able to switch to new motifs to keep from getting bored.

Anonymous said...

Patience is vastly overrated. The shawl looks good as is! Can't wait to see how the other seasons look interpreted in lace.

Some day, that fleece will make a handsome pair of socks.

Kiki said...

How lovely! I really like the yarn you are using for the shawl!

Kay said...

Hi Dave,
You won one of Norma's drawings!
Send your mailing address to me at bigbonegalAThotmailDOTcom and I will send it out to you.

Congrats!
Kay

Unknown said...

The shawl looks very interesting.

Very nice spindling.

Amelia of Ask The Bellwether said...

Love seeing the progress on the spindling -- looking good! Can't wait to see your handspun socks :-)

Anonymous said...

Love the lace, the color is wonderful.
It glows....