Friday, October 31, 2008

B&W BFF


I'm one of the worst KALers; not only did I do nothing for Socktoberfest, but I didn't even sign up for it. I did sign up for Sock Knitters Anonymous for September and barely scraped up a finish.

One of the options this month was a pattern by Cookie A. I'd wanted to do the BFF pattern for a long time, and this seemed like an opportune time to take it from a "want" to a "done", and "done" they are, on the very last day. Still, done is done; right?

The yarn is Koigu KPPPM in Colour 312. It was, as usual, a joy to work with, and I am quite pleased with how well the colours let the cables show. I would have been even more pleased if I hadn't run out of yarn and had to scrounge up another skein.


I did substitute in a Fleegle heel, though, because I like it.

In the Other News Department, I special ordered a spindle from SpinSanity, and Shannon came through for me with flying colours. It's a bottom whorl, in a rubbed, antique-y blue. It's wonderfully balanced and spins perfectly. The icing on the cake was that Shannon gifted it to me. I think she's trying to feed my budding spindling addiction in payback for causing her a slight case of garterlac obsession. I'm a willing victim.

The fiber is merino from Eagle's Find Fiber in the Leaves and Stones colourway, and it's spinning up into a wonderful, golden-hued single that I'm hoping to Andean ply into lace weight. This is the first time I've tried merino, and it takes a bit of getting used to. It's easy to draft, but not so easy to draft evenly because it's so spongy and stretchy. I keep telling myself it's just part of the learning curve, and I'm not actually minding having to practise at all. :-)

23 people had something to say:

turtlegirl76 said...

I have a hard time with merino too. Try some BFL or really, if you wanna spoil yourself, a tencel blend. mmm.

Love the socks. I haven't touched a sock all month. I fail at sock-a-longs.

Aim said...

Oh, that's why my merino spinning is so bad....not just b/c I'm a newbie?! Love your socks :)

Anonymous said...

Those are lovely grey socks and the new spindle is beautiful. I like the rubbed finish.

Kay-From the Back Yard said...

The socks look sort of blue-gray on my monitor..and they are really lovely. I like the heel, too. It is so similar to the Strong heel.

My drop spindle awaits..still in its box. :-|

fleegle said...

Boy, do those look cushy and handsome! OF course, the heel is especially elegant :)

I failed KALs a long time ago. I never signed up for one...too little time, I guess.

Sarah said...

Merino was tough for me at first, too, but I'm getting the hang of it. I'm spinning up some merino/bamboo right now, which is an absolute dream to spin. The bamboo makes it just a little slippery, and that means easier drafting. And it's shiny!

Angelika said...

Nice socks. Those are still in my queue. I haven't knit a single sock since last year. Bad, I know. But yours are very nice.

Teyani said...

Your socks are yummm - it's always annoying to run out of yarn. I find myself scratching my head over why mfgs. don't put "just a little more" in a skein. The cost would be negligible to them, and then there would be enough for any man's size sock.
ah well.

You're already spinning lace weight?!
Go Dave!!!
what a fun new gift to have.
Merino gets easier once your fingers get used to it. try compressing your fiber by rolling it in your hands (makes a puni, and is easier to spin fine from)

Jean said...

Well you've inspired me to add another to do to my ever growing sock pattern list. (These will have to be for me though). I hope you will share your finished results on this latest spinning as I am curious to see how these lovely colors spin up.

Alwen said...

I'm another blue and gray lover. Love the colors on the spindle whorl.

Anonymous said...

Nice socks! I really wish I could get back into socks. They are just soooo...... i don't know, very little appeals to me these days.

but those socks look great. maybe it'll be an inspiration for me to start anything other than dog sweaters!

Anonymous said...

Dave, you always find the BEST sock patterns! I come here for inspiration. Now I must go add them to my Rav queue! Yours are simply gorgeous!!

Marlene said...

The socks look great. The colourway really works with that pattern.

Anonymous said...

Learning curves are so annoying but sadly, there.

Nice BFF socks! It really shows the pattern remarkably well too.

Unknown said...

I love the soft colors of the socks. Looks really great with the pattern. Thanks for the idea:)

Sarah said...

Enablers... what are you gonna do but take up spinning!
Love that yarn for those socks!

Opal said...

Gorgeous yarn and spindle! You're right, merino takes some practice and I know you're going to have a lot of fun at it. :)

bockstark.knits said...

oooh, can't wait to see the finished handspun! and the socks are perfect!

Anonymous said...

Love the socks. I'm looking for a pattern for Xmas socks for my DH. This one looks great!

lexa said...

I've thought about trying out a drop spindle. I'd better wait til after Christmas, though.

Love the socks!

Unknown said...

I love those socks, will have to add that pattern to my collection.

That's a really nice spindle and fiber. Have fun with those.

Marjorie said...

I've been having problems keeping up with KALs too. The socks are very nice--my first pair ever had a pattern like that, and it was a very enjoyable knit (except for the closing the toe bit).

Anonymous said...

Oh, gosh! It's been soooo long since I've had socks on the needles - thanks for the inspiration [and motivation]!

[Yours are lovely, btw.]