Saturday, February 14, 2009

Mirage

According to Oxford, one definition of "mirage" is "something illusory."

The brief meltdown we had this week was just the illusion of the coming spring, a taste, a teaser, but still, a welcome reprieve during a cold and difficult winter. The illusion of spring was further enhanced by knitting my spring-coloured handspun into a nifty new scarf.


The pattern is Mirage (free on Ravelry) and it worked wonderfully with this heavy fingering weight and limited yardage. It's knit on the bias so the stripes go diagonally, with ruching for extra texture, and, bonus for a thinner scarf, extra insulation factor.

This yarn was much nicer to knit up than my last batch. It actually felt soft and bouncy. I didn't block the final result, as I liked the texture so much. Final dimensions, 6.5 in x 60 in - pefect.


Yes, it's maybe a bit foo-foo, and the colours just a titch loud, but I delighted in wearing it this week. Even if it isn't spring yet, I felt spring-like, especially compared to the black and navy crowd that seems so prevalent and .... dreary.

33 people had something to say:

Monika said...

I LOVE it! The pattern and yarn are going so well together! Remember my Barcelona socks by Mona Schmidt? It was Mystery socks in November 2007 I think, I used Jojoland yarn for those and your scarf reminds me of them. I like also, that you knit up your handspun right away. I should do that too. Hm.

Amy aka: ropergirl3 said...

ooh yummy spring goodness! I wonder if my new alpaca would look good in this...hmmmm. Thanks

ladyoftheloom said...

Oh those black and navy people can just bite me is what I always think. The scarf is great!
Alice

Anonymous said...

NOT froufrou. Beautiful gradation.

Anonymous said...

The scarf is wonderfully cheerful. I like!

Kay-From the Back Yard said...

Oh, indeed, the texture is wonderful! And the color is wow. Did you actually spin that on your drop spindle? Maybe there's hope for me.

Linda said...

Awesome scarf! Screw 'em if "they" think it's loud. Your neck - your handspun - wear it proudly.

CelticCastOn said...

I love the colours they are purrrfect!
Great pattern/yarn combo!

Alwen said...

It looks so springy! Like that secret carpet of moss I find when all the snow finally melts away.

fleegle said...

Totally, completely gorgeous! Harry wants one too.

turtlegirl76 said...

What a great use for that gorgeous handspun! It looks so - smooshy? I dunno. I want to touch it!

BEESTLYproducts said...

i love the colors!

Veronica said...

Ooh, I really love the colors and the texture! This just made its way into my queue....

Marlene said...

I love bright colours. They seem happy and optimistic while somber, dull colours feel more depressing.

If you want to do a happy dance, a nice bright scarf is a good start.

LaurieM said...

You're scarf is just lovely. It makes me think of daffodils in the spring.

I've also notices that Canadians in the winter are a drab bunch.

Jennifer said...

Beautiful scarf! It really shows off the handspun.

Opal said...

it's beautiful! the colors and vibrant and it looks so squooshy. well done, you!

Unknown said...

Looks great Dave! Definitely spring like and the texture is awesome. I do agree that sometimes the blocking takes some of the best parts out. You should feel pretty jaunty wearing it out!

Sarah said...

That's a great use of your handspun -- the texture really plays it up. I can see why you would want to wear it!

Suna Kendall said...

I'm glad you wore it. It probably brightened lots of people's days that you don't even know about. And I appreciate ideas for things to do with limited amounts of handspun. That's one thing that keeps me from trying it--not having enough to make anything.

Patricia said...

Looks good enough to eat. Reminds me of gelato!

Valerie Polichar said...

It makes me cheery just LOOKING at those colors. I am sure Suna is right — people around you will smile when you walk by!

sgeddes said...

I love the colors. I've always thought that a scarf was the perfect way to add some bold color that you might not wear otherwise.

How much yardage did you have for the project?

Nana Sadie said...

If that isn't "springy" I don't know what is!!! *wink*
(((hugs)))

limedragon :-: Harriet said...

Very cool scarf! I bet it looked great amongst the black and navy. : )

We got the spring-like lull too... very tricky!

Mary Lou said...

Great scarf - we had that false spring going on here in MN, too. I wasn't taken in, however.

Jean said...

Your appearance is quite masculine and I think you could pull this off. With pale skies and all that snow, I'm sure people welcomed looking at a bit of color. I like the texture of the unblocked scar - on my screen it looks like waves of color. This scarf would look good against a brown sweater.

nova said...

This looks great, Dave! I've not seen the pattern before, it's a great one for handspun. I might have to pull out some fingering weight handspun for this scarf!

Marjorie said...

That is a wonderful scarf, and just the thing to brighten up a winter day.

EGunn said...

The scarf looks great! I really like how the bias stripes play with the color shift. Yay for handspun springtime!

Anonymous said...

Great work, Dave. The colors really compliment the pattern.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! Really if it's the only bright color you're wearing, I bet it looks great and stylish!

Probably Jane said...

Lovely stuff - how wonderful to waer the green shoots of spring!