Sunday, February 22, 2009

Feeling Productive

I finally finished spindling the merino top from The Arts at Eagle's Find, in the Leaves and Stones colourway, that I started way back in December.

Plying seemed to take forever, but I did it in stages and that seemed to help. I tried a different way of wrapping the yarn around my plying spindle. I kept more weight on the bottom, and more open space at the top for twirling, and that seemed to make it easier. Not faster, just easier.

While spinning it, I tried to concentrate on keeping it even. Once my fingers got used to the merino, it just kind of flowed. I put a bit less twist into the singles and bit more into the plying, and I like the result -- it's much softer and bouncier.

Even though it's mostly shades of browns, it was a lot of fun to watch the colours slowly meld into each other. I'll be watching for more semi monochromatics.


End result: about 600 yards, 24 wpi - laceweight!

I was hoping for enough for a shawl, but I don't think it's quite there. Maybe a large-ish scarf? Haven't quite decided.


I also finished another Kaleidoscope.

This is Silk Garden No. 217. Again, no knots in either skein.

What a fun colourway -- me likes it lots.



29 people had something to say:

fleegle said...

Me likes both the yarn and the Kaleidoscope too! Lovely colorways on both of them!

Yarndude said...

Dave, your spinning is so beautiful! Beautiful beautiful beautiful. I love it.

Monika said...

Where do you get the patience for spinning such an amount on a spindle? There are several small shawls out there which use even less yds than you have here.
I like the strong colores of your new Kaleidoscope! I saw some finished blankets today. They look great! :o)

Marlene said...

Beautiful yarn!

Although I enjoy spinning with my spindle I still prefer to *ply* on my wheel. It seems to take a terribly long time even with a wheel.

ulli said...

what gorgeous yarn!

Jean said...

I love the textures of the yarn you spun, the subtle changes in the brown mesmerize me. This would make an incredible scarf/wrap. Wow! Dave great job!!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous spindling - and beautiful scarf!

Jody said...

I love that laceweight! I am in awe that you did that on a drop spindle! Great job!

Anonymous said...

I love the yarn you spun. Gorgeous!

BEESTLYproducts said...

omg. that yarn is AMAZING!!!!!!

Sarah said...

I'm so impressed that you can spin such beautiful yarn on a spindle -- and laceweight, no less! I think 600 yards should be plenty for a medium sized shawl.

Walden said...

Your spinning is quite beautiful!

Anonymous said...

The scarf just takes your breath away, and reminds everyone why we knit with Noro. Beautiful spinning as well.

I do believe this is my first post here, hellooo!

Anonymous said...

wow! go you on spinning laceweight. it's magnificent!

Sarah said...

I think you've found a new addiction. Gorgeous yarn. Gorgeous knitting.

.: tani :. said...

so impressive!! laceweight on a spindle!

i think you'll have plenty for a shawl; you may want to do a simple triangle (like adamas?) so that you can knit without fear and bind off when you run out.

gorgeous knitting too!

Mary Lou said...

You did that on a drop spindle? Amazing and gorgeous and plenty for a moderately sized shawl.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I love the colors of the yarn. I have always wanted to try the spindle thing. I think I am going to order one and see how I do now.

Cookie said...

Lovely spinning and knitting.

EGunn said...

Beautiful yarn! Makes me want to go do some spinning...

Anonymous said...

dave, your yarn is gorgeous! I love it!

beth (big geek)

Sabs said...

Beautiful yarn!!

turtlegirl76 said...

That's some serious laceweight! So even! Love it. And you and your scarves. Either you're a wuss when it comes to the cold or your friends are forever grateful for your addiction to noro. =P

Jennie said...

wow!! gorgeous handspun work! Thanks for the plying tip, I may need to try that. :)

Anonymous said...

Nicely done yarn, and with a spindle, and all that yardage. I hide in shame and attemt to emulate.

Opal said...

your spinning keeps getting better and better. you're becoming the spindle -master-. :)

Anonymous said...

The laceweight is absolutely gorgeous Dave. You did a brilliant job. Well done. Love those colours. Your kaleidoscope is gorgeous too. It makes quite a statement!

Jennifer said...

Both are gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Love the yarn .. especially the browns. Gorgeous!