Monday, March 16, 2009

Feeling not productive

I think I jinxed myself by commenting in my last post that I was getting things done. Turns out that working 12-14 hours a day the last couple weeks has the opposite effect. Go figger, eh? Not much time for blogging, and not much time for doing anything worth blogging about.

Still knitting. Working on a pair of socks -- slowly and sporadically. They're UG-LY. I wonder why I keep forcing myself to finish them instead of just chucking them. I'll have to keep that in mind as a topic for another post. Despite my dismal performance last year, I did sign up for Sock Madness again this year, in the hopes that it would revive the mojo, but now I'm afraid it will just bog it down even more. Guess we'll see what happens.

Still spindling. I actually have one yarn that's ready to be plied, and will likely finish another one this evening. Then I just have to ply. More about that when they're done.

So, why am I posting when I have really nothing to say? Well, I received an email the other day that I thought was pretty clever, so I asked for, and received, permission to share with you. So I am. It's a way to do the garterlac dishcloth that doesn't involve a cast-on. The following text and photo are courtesy and copyright of blogless Jane. Thank you, Jane!


I love your garterlac dishcloth. I make lots of dishcloths for gifts, and this has become one of my favorites.

I have found many loose cast-ons that work well but then I thought, why have a cast-on row? Here is a change I tried that is pretty neat:

Wind off enough yarn to knit the three top triangles and don’t break it. (I actually knit 8 rows of 25 stitches each, which will always be enough.) With scrap yarn, crochet a chain of about 32 to 35 stitches.

With the dischcloth yarn, knit an increasing side triangle. Pick up 8 stitches on the chain and knit the square. Skip 3 or 4 stitches on the chain and pick up 8 more for the next square. Skip 3 or 4 stitches on the chain and pick up 8 stitches for the decreasing side triangle.

On this first row, everywhere the pattern says SKP, just K1. Then finish the dishcloth to the end. Turn it around, and using the yarn that was wound off, knit another top row. As you get to each shape, pull out the crochet and pick up the stitches that the chain was holding.

This results in a cloth with 90-degree rotational symmetry. Yes, it’s just a dishcloth; but I am the Anal Knitter.

Thank you for sharing your great patterns.

20 people had something to say:

Carrie K said...

Hard to believe she improved upon perfection. :)

I'm with you on those 12-14 hour days. Yuck. Soon mine will be over though.

Why are you continuing to knit ugly socks? You like the yarn? The warmth/fit/pattern? Finishing what you start?

Abigail said...

That's a slick idea! Thanks for sharing that Jane and Dave!

One day soon I'll have to try it.

Kay-From the Back Yard said...

I laughed about your knitting UG-LY socks. What causes us to keep on keeping on when we are sure we won't like/wear/have the nerve to give it away?

Hope you can see the light at work soon.

turtlegirl76 said...

I swear if it turns out those socks you're making are orange, I'm gonna laugh. Then cry a bit.

Jean said...

Your blog always brings a smile to my face and I am so curious about the UGLY socks, you should post a photo just for the fun of it. I do envy your talents, humorous writing, spindling, master knitter ... I look forward to you next post. Thanks for the idea of the new way to cast on, guess I better learn to crochet.

LaurieM said...

I'm grateful to hear you are working, though 12 to 14 hours does sound awful. Is it because of tax season?

I hope it's temporary at least and that you get a nice break after it's done.

Monika said...

It's amazing what people come up with, and why they even bother to perfect something. It's great really. It makes me feel I'm the laziest person, who doesn't want to tickle her brain cells; just a follower. :o)

Unknown said...

God not only am I anal but I think I am a follower too...and someone who has a hard time ripping out the FUG-LY. Guess there is no help here lol.

I hope the long days stop soon. I also hope that sock madness (could never ever ever even sign up for that - too much for my adrenals) brings back some mojo. It must be that time of the year.

EGunn said...

I understand the no-time thing. Things will get less busy eventually, though (I hope!). I'm curious to see the ugly socks, and amused by the symmetry-improved version of the dishcloth. Hope this week is more knitty and less hectic!

sgeddes said...

Hopefully the work time and fun time even out soon.
I'll be interested to see the ugly socks and the new yarn of course. I'm also looking forward to the zpost on why I keep working on projects that aren't pleasing! Maybe you can make me stop.

fleegle said...

Since you didn't post a picture of the ugly socks, I can't contradict you :) You can always overdye them if you hate the color, you know!

That non-cast-on is very clever--thanks for sharing!

Opal said...

i do the same thing with projects i'm unhappy with. maybe i'm an eternal optimist and i keep hoping for it to turn out better or it means i'm just a masochist and i like the pain. who knows.

Sarah said...

That is an extremely clever way to avoid the cast on! Must try it on my next dishcloth.

Working too much can be a serious drag on one's knitting mojo. I'm wondering, though, if it's the time of year when mojo goes on vacation. I've not been too interested in knitting much lately, but maybe it's just because I found some really good books and all I want to do is read. I actually went a whole day without knitting over the weekend -- I was really starting to worry if I was sick!

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to the UGLY socks...

limedragon :-: Harriet said...

Cool!

Hope your schedule eases up soon. : )

Nana Sadie said...

Hang in there - hope you get time to knit a bit...but I'm of a mind that if the project is UG-LY? Frog it and forget it!
(((hugs)))

Sarah said...

That's indeed a very clever washcloth!

Valerie Polichar said...

I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit how excited I am at this new take on my favorite dishcloth.

Carol said...

Am working like mad to cover other peoples march break. Cannot brain. But will attempt dishcloth pattern when my brain comes back...

Anonymous said...

Am trying to make the garterlac dishcloth but having trouble with those top triangles. Can someone explain it? I love the pattern, but can't finish the top of the dishcloth!