Sunday, July 12, 2009

A-long alonging

As I'd hoped, the slight pressure to get stuff resulting from joining a KAL or some-such has resulted in, well, getting stuff done.

This colours in this gorgeous yarn from All Spun Up re-kindled a yarn lust that I haven't felt for quite a while. I had to have it, and I had to knit it as soon as it arrived. Joining Sock-a-Month 8 helped keep the knitting from languishing and actually made me knit both socks. :-)

Plain socks, in a fantastic colourway, but a finished pair! Hurrah!! Mojo, are you back? Only time will tell.

The fact that I was able to finish the socks while participating in the Tour de Fleece on Ravelry kind of gives me hope that I can do both spinning and knitting. I mean, that was kind of my intention before the spinning took over.

And speaking of the Tour de Fleece, I managed to turn this ....


.... into this:

It's merino from Fat Cat Knits, in the Seaside Cottage colourway. I signed up for a three-month subscription so I would push myself outside of my normal colour range, and this certainly did the trick.

I was trying to spin it thicker and ended up with 306 yards at 11 wpi, which is on the thin side of worsted weight but not too bad.

Definitely a happy mix of colours!

27 people had something to say:

Trillian42 said...

Fantastic colors! Both the socks and the spinning.

For some reason, 11 wpi seems to be my default for a two-ply yarn. I need to challenge myself to spin something at a different weight.

stephen said...

Both colourways are gorgeous, and the socks you've knitted look fantastic!

donna said...

Socks are handsome. Love, love, love the spinning, that is gorgeous!

turtlegirl76 said...

Ooh very pretty! It spun up so nicely! I haven't even pulled out the wheel. I suck at Tour de Fleece.

Love the socks. They look comfy!

Katie K said...

Beautiful stuff!

lexa said...

Love those socks! And your handspun is gorgeous as usual!

Cookie said...

I've been wondering what you've been up to. You've got some good looking socks and lovely spinning there.

fleegle said...

Handsome socks! May the be harbingers of more to come.

Love your spinning! Nice colors and great blends.

Valerie Polichar said...

Great socks -- I may be weird but I love brown, and this combo is fabulous. I can see why you couldn't resist the yarn!

Spinning is awesome... you have a knack for mixing colors when you ply. Very very nice eye candy.

Sarah said...

I just love the yarn, I think all the more because it's not your typical colors.

Zonda said...

Glad you got your socks done, love the colorway! Your handspun looks great! Way to go out of your color comfy zone :)

~ Phyllis ~ said...

Great socks and yarn.
I have been trying to improve my sock knitting skills lately. I need to practice, practice, practice.
Happy Tour de Fleece

sheep#100 said...

Very guy socks!

Jean said...

The yarn you spun does remind me of the sea, the colors are yummy, the greens and blues are the color of the sea glass that I discover from time to time. Congrats on the completed socks - see you need not worry about your knitting mojo.

Nana Sadie said...

Love the socks, and the handspun is very pretty...It's GOOD to stretch yourself, no?
(((hugs)))

Karen said...

Happy, indeed! You are my spinning idol...that yarn is just stunning.

LaurieM said...

Beautiful! The socks are just lovely and your handspun is a dream. Great work!

Marjorie said...

What beautiful yarn--the color mix is fantastic.

It is hard to upstage those lovely socks, but your spinning really has done it.

Carrie K said...

Socks come in pairs? Who knew? They look fab, Dave.

That roving spun up pretty spectacularly! Gorgeous.

Alwen said...

Seaside cottage! What a perfect name! I can just see them.

Patricia said...

Gorgeous, definitely a happy mix of colors. Something that I needed today!

Kay-From the Back Yard said...

Love those brown socks! And your handspun is, as always, gorgeous!

Paula said...

Oh I would say the mojo is definitely back. Terrific socks!

Opal said...

your worsted weight yarn is so well done! you're just smokin' hot with the spindle!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.