Saturday, June 27, 2009

Ready for Summer

It took a while, but I finally finished spinning up the fibre from the All Spun Up May/June Spin-a-Long -- a lovely superwash merino in watery, bluesy-greeny colours.


It is so much fun to see how everyone spins up the same colourway in different ways. There are so many gorgeous yarns out there. Of course, me being me, I just went with a standard old three-ply sock yarn.

I'm quite pleased with the way it came out. I ended up with 453 yards at 16 wpi -- perfect for a pair of socks!

It should knit up into subtle, monochromatic stripes, although you never really know until you actually knit it.

And speaking of knitting, the stitches continue to fly off the needle at breakneck speed! The sock that didn't have a heel two weeks now has a heel!

The craziness at work has settled down for the next two months, so I should have a bit more free time to knit. Now that I've joined Sock a Month 8, I'm also hoping to be a bit more motivated, but there is also that darn Tour de Fleece thing going on too. And tomorrow is spinning class. Hmmmm. I think I need a time management expert to come in and schedule my hobbies for me. If they do windows and clean bathrooms while they're at it, that's all the better. :-)

22 people had something to say:

lexa said...

Always love your hand spun. The sock is looking good!

fleegle said...

And lovely it is! Glad your knitting is picking up...seems like you were in a slump for a while.

Cookie said...

Dave! I love the yarn. Nothing at all wrong with spinning sock yarn. In fact, that's a goal of mine.

Any idea what you're spinning for Tour de Fleece yet?

Bea said...

it is always the same with time:
http://www.bkmarcus.com/blog/images/DaliTime.jpg

Your sock yarn looks fine.

Bea

Yarndude said...

Hooray for work slowing down! Your spinning looks great, and I'm happy to hear you have more time to knit now.

Carrie K said...

At long last, a heel? Like two weeks is a long time. Sheesh.

That fleece spun up nicely! It's amazing how differently it came out depending on the spinner.

I really have to learn how.

DeAnn said...

Beautiful handspun, can't wait to see what it looks like as a pair of socks. :) Happy spinning...oh, and knitting...

Donna said...

Beautiful! I'm going to keep spinning and hope my SAL yarn ends up half as pretty.

Karen said...

Oh, I hear you, re. the time to do all this stuff! Something always has to suffer. Usually it's housework, in my case.

Look forward to tomorrow's class -- see you then!

Anonymous said...

I saw that yarn you spun on Ravelry and it's heartbreakingly gorgeous! I'm in love with the color of that yarn.

Sarah said...

I absolutely adore how your SAL yarn turned out! Great yardage.

Nana Sadie said...

Ah it's just beautiful...can't wait to see it knitted up!
(and I need someone to vacuum and dust...see if they'll do that, too, won't you?)
(((hugs)))

Jean said...

Your handspun yarn is just so beautiful, I love seeing your posts on them. This was alot of yarn to spin up, can't wait to see you knit a pair of socks with it.

limedragon :-: Harriet said...

I LOVE that yarn!! Can't wait to see the socks you knit with it. : )

My sock mojo has been MIA for a long time. : (

Alwen said...

That looks like it's going to turn into beautiful socks. I can't wait to see. Nice icy blues, one of my favorites.

Briley said...

Love the yarn! I FINALLY got to the post this morning. So, your package is on the way. I hope you like it!

Marjorie said...

I love the spun yarn (and the one in progress too). If you find the time management guru, and if vacuuming is in the package, let me know! Around here knitting always trumps housework.

Opal said...

as always, you produce stupendous sock yarn. you've found a real niche!

i love the caramel sock sock your knitting too!

Five Ferns Fibreholic said...

SWOON!!! I love that blue colourway.

Five Ferns Fibreholic said...

SWOON!!! I love that blue colourway.

Teyani said...

Yummy Yummy spinning!! (can you hear the applause coming from my house to yours?)

~ Phyllis ~ said...

My goodness you are an excellent spinner. How long have you been spinning?