Sunday, August 30, 2009

SAM 8 - August

You know how sometimes you get a yarn and it just takes your breath away because it's so beautiful? This was one of those.


It's from Painted Yarns, in the Fall Birches colourway. It was extra special because it will never be available again -- the artist who painted it has passed away. I really did just want to put it in a bowl on the coffee table and look at it and love it forever.

That's what I should have done.


These socks have been on and off the needles for probably two years, trying out many different patterns. Nothing really brought out the true beauty of the colours. In the end, just to get them done, I resorted to my standard, old 6x2 rib.


I kind of feel like I cheated on them and didn't really give them their due, and that bothers me, but it was time to call enough and just get them finished. August socks, you're done.



In spinning news, I finished up the second installment of the Fat Cat Knits Mixed Blessings. This was a colourway called Hombre, and I loved the colours in both of the segments.


Inspired by what some of the other people had done with this, I decided to try to make a yarn that progresses from light to dark. I divided it up and put it into three piles, the first with just the lighter colour, the second with both and the third with just the darker.

I pre-drafted different lengths together through a diz in order to really blend the colours and give them a more tweedy look.


This was my first time spinning Falkland, and I loved it. Softer than BFL, with more grab than merino, it came out wonderfully fluffy. Spindle spun, wheel plied, it ended up at 296 yards, 8-9 wpi.



I'm quite pleased with the finished yarn. I think it wants to be a scarf ... or something.


21 people had something to say:

Mary Lou said...

Some yarns never look as beautiful knitted up as they do in the skein. You'll know how special the yarn is each time you wear them, though.

Briley said...

I sometimes find a very pretty yarn shows up best in a simple stitch- and it definitely gets more play as a sock than as a UFO.

The handspun is beautiful, as always. I don't think I have ever spun Falkland, but after hearing you describe it I want to run out and get some.

Anonymous said...

I think Mary Lou is right, but in your case ... the socks are very nice.

Love your spun yarn. That's a beautiful color too.

Yarndude said...

I commented on your socks over on Ravelry. What a creative idea for the spinning! I never would have thought to predraft multiple colors through a diz to combine them. Very smart. The finished yarn is beautiful, too!

fleegle said...

That yarn iks stunning. I am glad you photographed it before it was knitted. The socks are ok, but the gorgeous colorway just disppeared, didn't it? I hate when that happens.

Derick said...

Well, now I have to go get a diz or two. That's a fantastic method.

Monika said...

Some yarns really should just be looked at. I like the socks, but I would have never guessed they came from this lovely yarn.
I like your handspun too.

Micki said...

The socks are lovely! I often think the prettiest yarns look best when knitted up simply. And your yarn is beyond gorgeous.

Marlene said...

I need to introduce you to a simple rigid heddle loom. Those hand painted sock yarns are gorgeous woven into simple scarves.

Your socks aren't too shabby either. Just sayin' the weaving works for all those handpainted yarns that are difficult to knit with.

Sarah said...

Great results on your spinning! The finished yarn has such a great look to it with the subtle color changes.

turtlegirl76 said...

OOoh pretty! That'll make a lovely scarf (or something).

~ Phyllis ~ said...

I agree that yarn is breathtaking.
The socks are quite nice. I have a feeling that after you wear them a few times that you will be happy with them.

Jean said...

The yarn was really gorgeous stuff and its nice to know that someone with your experience can struggle with them from time to time. The pair you knitted came out nice.

Kim said...

Your handspun turned out lovely. Congrats on finishing the socks, it must feel great to have them wrapped up after so long.

Nana Sadie said...

The socks are lovely, even if, as you say, the yarn might have been better left in the skein. Still, you did a great job on them.

And wow, your spinning is great!
(((Hugs)))

LaurieM said...

Beautiful colors in both projects today. Soft, calm and relaxing.

I think the socks are great. Sometimes, simple is best.

Anonymous said...

I think you did very well with the socks - the simplicity is not overbearing.

The spun yarn is gorgeous!

sgeddes said...

It's exciting to see that you got a wheel! It will be great to see your progress with your new toy. It looks like you've gotten a pretty good handle on things all ready!

Anonymous said...

oh these are your socks!!! I have to go back to Ravelry and put a heart on it. I love these colors so so much!!!!

And your new yarn is as beautiful as mine ;o) what a great elaborating of that triple technique. I love it! :o) And I am curious who the effect will appear in the knitting.

Please excuse my late comment on your yarn but school started and me and my children have got a cold :( So life runs a bit uncomfortably...!

Ute

Zonda said...

I love the socks you knit. I think a too textured pattern wouldn't have worked IMHO ;) Your handspun is pretty! I just finished some falkland and will ply this weekend. When you used the diz, it was before you spun it right? (sorry a diz newbie here ;)

Opal said...

that yarn came out beautifully! did you wheel or spindle spin it?