Sunday, September 06, 2009

Falling into Fall

I'm starting to feel a bit more comfortable with the spinning wheel. Or at least I don't think it's running away on me most of the time, which is a start.

This is 4.3 oz of merino from Freckle Face Fibers in the Aquazone colourway, an unusual combination of aqua, forest green, mint and purple. I asked it what it wanted to be, and it responded that a three-ply sock weight might be a good idea.

I think it was right. It ended up at 503 yards, 15 wpi. Still a bit under-plied, but I think it will knit up okay. When I'm spindling, I always over-ply, because I like it like that, so I'll have to try to remember to give an extra treadle or two when plying on the wheel.

I think it will make some good socks, though. Whenever I get around to knitting it, that is.

Knitting is progressing too, although slowly. I've started on my September socks. One of the problems with taking all your UFOs and throwing them into a personal sock club is that they were probably UFOs for a reason, and that reason was likely a problem of some sort or other, and when their turn comes up, you have to solve that problem.

In this case, I think it was just that the yarn was knitting up into the usual spiraling stripe that you often get with handpaints, and I wanted to mix it up a bit. I decided to try it with a slip stitch cable.

But now I can't decide if it looks delightfully muddled, or just muddy. The other side looks like the spiraling stripe is coming back despite my attempts to thwart it. Sigh.

Any opinions?

31 people had something to say:

Birdsong said...

The slip stitch cable is very striking, and does break it up. I am quite impressed with your spinning skills, and the colors are beee-youuu-ti-full.

Julie said...

Dave, your spinning is always gorgeous and it makes me want to run out and buy *more* roving. Argh I do miss my wheel (but shoulder is very much improved so it's coming back for sure).

I love the socks. I know I'm an outlier but I really don't mind pooling and flashing and all that stuff.

Yarndude said...

I love your spinning, and I'm going to go with "delightfully muddy" for the socks. :)

Lorette said...

The spinning is gorgeous. That will make a great pair of socks.
As far as muddy vs. muddled, I just give up when it comes to avoiding spiraling and pooling, and knit plain socks with it.

DeAnn said...

Me too, me too...I'm with Yarndude. Delightfully muddy the pulled stitches break up the spiraling stripe. BTW...I love your new handspun. :)

lookinout said...

I really like the Aquazone spinning result. And the slip-stitch cable looks great in the socks.
Gillian

Anonymous said...

i have an opinion! i think it's awesome. i read "delightfully muddy or just muddled" and i thought, "huh? it's delightfully awesome. and some way of making 'muddled' into 'also awesome.'"

but i have a thing for blue and brown in pretty much all forms so don't listen to me.

Briley said...

I love the socks! The spinning looks great. I'm glad you are getting used to the wheel. You'll be whipping out yarn like no body's business soon.

auntiemichal said...

Great sock yarn, Dave! Maybe you can thwart the striping by knitting from both ends of the ball, spiralling the two strands around and around. The cable looks good, too.

Walden said...

I have to agree with most everyone else. I think the colors look very nice in the pattern.

fleegle said...

Actually, I love your spiraling stripes :)

Your handspun looks most excellent, so I would say that you have mastered the spinning wheel. Do you like it better than your spindles?

deirdre said...

I think your sock looks great - perfectly muddled colour - but your handspun??? I am completely smitten...

turtlegirl76 said...

I don't think it looks muddied at all. The colors definitely work well with the stitch pattern you chose.

Be on the lookout for a package any time now. I sent it out last Monday. Idiot me forgot to put a note in with it though. D'oh!

Unknown said...

I love your spinning; it's inspirational!
If the choice is muddy or muddled, I'd totally go with muddy - the cables are easily seen. Personally I love when yarn spirals - wear it well my friend!!

Nana Sadie said...

I'm one of those who loves the stripes, too...so will reserve judgement on your socks.

That yarn, however? It's gorgeous...you're doing so well on your spinning!!!
(((hugs)))

randi K design said...

What a sock pro you are! I love the green and brown color mix on this yarn. It amaze me, how people are spinning every where! How great is that, that such and old tradition comes back to life! It sure look like you got the "hang" of it! Have a great fall, knitting...

Jean said...

Your spinning is wonderful and you seem to have a natural born talent for it. The socks remind me of the natural state of some gem stones with the veins meandering through the main color. I like the use of the stitch patter with this yarn.

LaurieM said...

Spinning: gorgeous.
Sock: not convinced.

You need to please yourself and if it doesn't satisfy you, then it's not good enough. Sometimes, if the yarn is worthy, it is worth going back to the drawing board until you find the perfect pattern. Perhaps a different stitch count would help, as in a chevron pattern.

Alwen said...

hand stealthily reaches through monitor and steals your delectable blue sock yarn

Anonymous said...

The slip stitch pattern looks great for the socks! I always enjoy looking at the vibrant colors in the photos of your blog :)

Mikki Rhodes-Gloor said...

I personally like the pooling stripes, but not everyone does. If it's really bothering you, you to break it up by either knitting stripes with another colorway, or knitting stripes with the other end of the ball. You'll be working two rows from the center, then two rows from the outside of the ball, but it will break up the striping, theoretically.

I love looking at your handspun sock yarn. It's inspired me to try my own. I'm learning a lot from your own musings. Thank you so much

Sarah said...

I love your handspun and am blown away by that yardage! It's really putting my latest efforts to shame.

Jolene said...

I actually like the gentle spiralling you are getting with those socks... they look lovely. I really like the idea of doing the slip stitch cable... might have to try that myself sometime!

(www.JoboDesigns.com)

Pat said...

1st of all - the new yarn is SO beautiful! I look forward to seeing those socks!

I think the stitch pattern is definitive enough to handle the color - delightfully muddled!

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave,

I don't think your yarn to have not enough twist. I like it the way it is.

"name, url" does not work - sorry about that anonymous post

Bea from nadelundfaden

Kim said...

I love the way it is knitting up and think the pattern stitch is incredible. Bravo on your spinning, these are socks that I would definitely wear.

Carrie K said...

Delightfully muddled.

I normally hate anything variegated I knit into a pattern but that looks good.

aija said...

I think the plying looks good! Instead of adding extra treadle power, do you have a faster ratio whorl than the one you were using? Let the wheel do the work for you :)

I like the sock, but if it bugs you you could always try a .25mm difference needle (going up to 1.5 or down to 0)... that always helps me change up handpainted yarn patterning and hopefully not mess w your gauge too much (you could switch when you get to the foot as well).

Happy spinning and knitting!

Teyani said...

Nice three ply Dave! Every time I see your spinning, I want to cheer - it's gorgeous! and you learned so fast.. awesome!
Sock yarn is fun, no matter what it does. (just my humble opinion). And I like the slipped stitch cables.

Anonymous said...

The slip stitch pattern works so well with the sock yarn!

JessaLu said...

Lovely handspun! I kind of like the sock...but then I forced myself to embrace the pooling long ago. ;o)