Monday, November 30, 2009

Catching Up: a four-fer

I have the most wonderful readers in the world.  Many, many thanks to the overwhelming number of people who commented on my last post about Tidget, my missing cat.  Quite a few of you have gone through the same thing, and some of you were lucky enough to have your cat come back, even after an extended period, which was wonderful to read.  I’m sad to have to report that I’ve not seen Tidget, nor have I received any calls from someone who might have found her.  I suppose it’s still possible that she will return – who knows?  On the positive side, my other cat, Muushuu, has had a dramatic change in personality.  I hadn’t realized just how submissive he was to the bossy Miss T.   He has blossomed in the last two weeks into a total love sponge. 

Meanwhile,  the fibery activity has continued, so it’s time to play catch up.  Sorry if it’s a bit of overload, but I seem to have fallen behind, so I’m going to a one swell foop type post and “git ’er done.”

I’ve been knitting.  :-)

Back in June of ’09, I spun a sparkly red yarn from a merino/silk/glitz batt from Enchanted Knoll.  It’s now become a Mirage scarf.

IMG_8437a

I love the texture in this pattern.

IMG_8441aI’ve already given it to friend who fell in love with the yarn when I first spun it, and she’s already worn it at least twice in my presence.  I know it’s not necessary, and once you give something away you have no stake in it, but I must admit that I do love it when people appreciate and use gifts – especially handcrafts.

A more recent spin, this time a BFL/silk blend from The Thylacine, has become a 198 yds of Heaven shawl.

IMG_8699a

After blocking, the yarn softened up quite nicely and has a bit of shimmer from the silk.  I followed the same mods described in other Ravelry projects to make the edging line up better with the pattern.

IMG_8742aI’m not normally one for lace patterns in multi-coloured yarns, but I think this stitch pattern is strong enough to hold its own with the subtle striping.  This will be a Christmas present for my new sister-in-law.  I know she wears shawls, but I don’t know she feels about handcrafts.  I guess I’ll find out.

The spinning continues.

  IMG_8481This merino/silk/bamboo blend is the first instalment of a new round of the Mixed Blessings club from Fat Cat Knits.  I love doing these, because it really gives you a chance to play.  I decided to rip the two braids apart and separate out the colours.  One I kept with all the dark purple and blue tones, and the other …

IMG_8539a… I tried to gradate from yellow through orange to blue.  The finished yarn, 366 yards of two-ply at 15 wpi, came out like this:

IMG_8638a   IMG_8654a Since I seem to be in full-blown scarf mode, it’s already been cast and about half knit.  But more about when it’s done. :-)

Just one more:

IMG_7163a This was my first try at spinning Rambouillet.  It’s from Hungry for Handspun in the Purple Dusk colourway.  It’s related to merino, and the fibre has that same spongy feel.  The finished yarn came out quite soft and really poofed up after finishing.

IMG_8367a It’s a three-ply sock weight, 477 yards from 4.5 oz, and 15 wpi.  I loves it muchly.

IMG_8375aThere, all caught up.  If you made it this far, thanks for sticking it out! :-)

34 people had something to say:

Mikki Rhodes-Gloor said...

I love your sock yarn. How do you get that many yards out of 4.5 oz? Would love to know your secret.

Kay-From the Back Yard said...

Lucky friend and lucky sister-in-law.

Your handspun is just gorgeous, as usual. It's good to see the before and after photos, as I am always so pleasantly surprised at how they turn out. Is there a secret to picking the right colors?

Anonymous said...

What lovely things! I am especially a fan of the first spun yarn :)

turtlegirl76 said...

My fingers and toes are still crossed for a Tidget homecoming! But I'm glad to see you've kept yourself busy! The scarf and shawl are both gorgeous but oh my. That 3 ply sock yarn is BEAUTIFUL!

Jean said...

A plethora of goodies, thanks for sharing your photos of all your wonderful creations. I'm glad to see a positive side to your cat story. Come to think of it Momma kitty was definitely more shy when Boo boo was around, now she actually comes up to be petted or talked to (she loves it when I put my face down close to her and talk gently (her eyes grown soft and she looks so sweet). Still hoping for your darling kitty. Big Hugs to you and your kitty.

Yarndude said...

I love love LOVE the shawl and the sock yarn. So beautiful!

joan said...

I love it all and may have bought some fiber in the past few minutes.

fleegle said...

I am so sorry that Tidget hasn't returned. Let's hope she found a nice home and just assume she needed a change of scenery.

As always, your spinning is lovely and has clearly improved over the past few months. Love love the red sparkly scarf!

Micki said...

Good grief, you've been busy! Everything is lovely. I've been kicking myself for not signing up for the latest round of Mixed Blessings, and seeing your fabulous yarn isn't making me feel better about it. ;)

sheep#100 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
sheep#100 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sarah said...

Oooh, that purple yarn at the end -- I wants it!

Paula said...

Beautiful, beautiful yarn and that textured scarf looks like a fun knit.

Nana Sadie said...

I love all your fibery goodness, but that purples???? Ohhhh...SWOON!
;)
I'm still keeping Tidget in my prayers...(and you, too)
(((hugs)))

knottygnome said...

so pretty! i really like the scrunchy scarf.

lexa said...

Sorry to hear that Tidget didn't return yet. She may make a surprise appearance, though! Fingers crossed!

As always, I love your handspun!

Anonymous said...

I just signed up for the Thylacine carders club. She has some lovely stuff! And I don't know if this will help Tidget to find you, but when Nimitz (a dog) went missing I put a couple of items outside the door that smelled like me and something familiar. I don't know if that helped him realize he came back to the right house or not but it couldn't hurt. Still hoping she makes it back to you!

Bea said...

Wonderful fibers and works out of fibers which you show us here.

You are beginning to mix colours yourself. Nice. Not far to go until a drum carder will need room in your house :-)

I'm still feeling Tidget coming back. Muushuu shouldn't be too sure to stay the king....

Monika said...

Beautiful yarns and knits! :o)

LaurieM said...

Sorry to hear you haven't found Tidget. It's nice that your getting some extra love from the other kitty. Maybe she's trying to make you feel better?

Your knits and spins and lovely. Again.

Unknown said...

I'm so glad that you have been up to some beautiful knitting projects! And the yarn is fabulous!

I will tell you that one of my two cats had escaped and was missing for quite awhile. My other cat, Cassie, didn't seem a bit worried but stayed close to me, seeing my distress. Then one day, Jade, the missing one, swaggered (that's the only way I can put it)home. Somehow cats can withstand an incredible amount. Don't give up!

Kathy... said...

Loved reading the catch-up post. Sorry no sign of Tidget, however. :(

I have a couple braids of Rambouillet. Nice to know a little bit about it. I'll get to it, someday. Your FatCat fibers turned out just lovely! You're always so inspirational.... thanks!

Zonda said...

Wow, gorgeous hand knits and handspun!! Thanks for sharing your spinning hints too :)

Anonymous said...

I also lost an apartment cat for about 2 hours when she slipped out the door. We only realised it when we heard meowing at the door and thought it was the neighbour's cat.
You might think about contacting schools or librairies if there are any nearby since kids are so observant of things like animals.

Alwen said...

What gorgeous things!

Luckily we can't reach through the monitor and snatch them.

Pat said...

This was a wonderfully inspiring post for me - I queued the 198 yard shawl (I think I may have a lot of small batches of yarn coming up!) I LOVE looking at you fiber to yarn photos...can't wait to see the Fat Cat Scarf!

Cookie said...

I am so sorry that your kitty has not returned to you, Dave, but I am glad that there is an upside.

The spinning and knitting is wonderful and it's so nice to see a post from you.

xo

knitwick said...

I'm sorry to hear that your cat has not returned.

I have to say that I love that purple Rambouillet yarn. It is gorgeous!!

~ Phyllis ~ said...

Gorgeous spinning as usual.
I saw your lovely Mobius over on Flickr. Outstanding.

Romi said...

Wow. All so gorgeous!

Marjorie said...

What an eye-popping post. The red scarf is beautiful, and I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with a hand made shawl.

Five Ferns Fibreholic said...

When you play catch-up....you really know how to blow us all away. WOW

Bonnie said...

I just found your blog today because you commented on mine, about my cat Ida. I'm so sorry your Tidget hasn't been found. But don't blame yourself. You did your best. Perfection is not possible, and Tidget knows that. Everything is as it should be. :-)

peony said...

Oh, my... gorgeous things in this post, and so familiar...I love how the blue plays with the grey...and the bluish purple yarn looks so yummie


I am such a great fan of Thylacine I am getting quite a nice collection waiting for my spinning skills getting good enough... 198 yrds of heaven on the other hand was the first thing I've knitted with my own handspun...