Sunday, September 09, 2007

SSS

I seem lately to be suffering from SSS -- no, not Second Sock Syndrome, but Seasonal Startitis Syndrome. Whenever the seasons change, I say to myself, "This spring I should knit THIS," or, "This fall I should knit THAT." Given my abysmal track record at finishing large projects, I do know better than to start them. Usually, anyway. I've been good for a long time, but the last two weeks I've given free reign to my impulses. Things have been flying on, and then back off, the needles at an alarming rate. I think I've settled down a bit now, though. I'm not obligating myself to finish these things, but ... well, we'll see.



Yes, it's a swatch. But please note, it's a completed swatch! Blocked and all. I signed up for the Secret of Chrysopolis. It's a German Yahoo group, but the pattern will also be coming out in English. I don't normally like doing "secret" things, but for some reason the name of this caught my attention. Yes, I admit it's strange to do something just because you like the name of it. I have nothing to offer in my defence. :-) I did have some reservations about the swatch as I was knitting it, but it came out quite nicely. This may be as far as it gets, or I may carry on; I reserve the right to decide later. I do know that at the first mention of nupps or beads, I'm outta there. :-) The yarn is Misti Alpaca, and it's very nice to work with.



This is kind of a jumbled mess right now, with lot of ends sticking out here and there, but it will sort itself out in due time. It's the beginnings of a Curve of Pursuit from Woolly Thoughts. You can seem some particularly nice finished ones here and here. I found picking up the initial stitches to be fiddly (read, a PITA!!), but once you start going round and round, it's a lot of fun. I love short rows. The yarn is Indicieta Alpaca, so if I finish this, it will be soft and cuddly and very warm.



This I am hoping will grow up to be a scarf. It's Paula's very cool CorruGarterGator scarf. I'm doing the fingering weight version using 37 stitches (because 37 is my favourite number -- good a reason as any; right?), using the lovely handspun that I received from Melinda in the Knitter's Tea Swap 2. I think the texture and subtle colouration of the yarn go very well with the stitch pattern. Those white spots you see in the photo are actually the sparkles in the yarn!! Very cool. I love knitting this, and it should make a great, long, skinny, soft and sparkly scarf.

Speaking of swaps, I see the International Scarf Exchange 5 is starting up, if anyone is interested. I think I'll sit this one out, though, because I don't want any deadline knitting this fall. Also, the Knitters Tea Swap 4 will be starting up soon.

I may also have four or five socks on the needles, with one pair getting close to finished. More about that when they're done. I'm thinking all that should keep me going for the fall, so no more SSS. If I get antsy, I do have just a few UFOs that could use FOing. Maybe I should get to them . Or not.

I'm hungry. I think I'll go find something to eat. :-)

46 people had something to say:

Emma said...

Lots of new projects for fall--yay. Sitting out ISE5--boo! I apparently signed myself up to be a hostess for this round (I think I was drinking at the time), so I guess I am participating again.

Amy said...

Everything looks great, but I *love* that lace swatch especially. The color, the little diamonds... perfect!

Anonymous said...

Oooh! Misti Alpaca...I love that stuff. I knit 2 lace scarves with it a year ago and still have a little yarn left in aubergine. I may have to try that pattern, it looks very tempting.

Ang

fleegle said...

My word you are busy! I love that dark red Misti and look forward to seeing the Mystery unfold. I signed up for one a while back and got bored out of my gourd.

The curve of pursuit made my head spin.

Five pairs of socks! Yike! I don't have that many sock needles!

CynCyn said...

Aww... nupps aren't that bad if you use lace needles! swatch is so pretty!

Anonymous said...

Well done, though, for getting things started. I find I'm still stuck in the 'summer slump' as it were. Hoping my seasons will change and I'll catch a bit of startitis pretty soon!

Anonymous said...

Well now ... seems like you'll have plenty on the needles to keep you busy.

The blue of the scarf is beautiful! Can't wait to see that one finished.

Oh yeah ... and socks too...always like seeing finished socks.

Opal said...

Your lace swatch is lovely! You know I've always wanted to do the Curve of Pursuit, but knitting a blanket in Hawaii has never seemed to be a rational or a practical idea. Never mind that I've done two ripple blankets. Maybe once the weather gets below 85 I'll change my mind. :-)

becky c. said...

Hey, I signed up for ISE 5 - thanks for the link!

Debi said...

You might have SSS but there's LOTS of pretty new knitting here!

turtlegirl76 said...

The swatch is very pretty! I didn't sign up for that group. I did go ahead with the Secret of the Stole group but probably won't knit it. I dunno. Too many things on the needles stresses me out. I'm up to 3 right now and that's a bit much for me.

LaurieM said...

The Curve of Pursuit is really awesome. I think doing it in neutral colors is a smart idea. It will always match, always be in style. How can you not finish it? You'll need a snuggly warm, stylish, alpaca blanket this winter.

Oh yes, and I, too, like the lace swatch. So neat and orderly. Cute little swatch.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Corrugator link! Nice simple cushy scarf -I like it!

Kim said...

oh, thank goodness. I've been missing your posts!

Love the sparkle in your handspun!

Terri said...

I've been fighting SSS too and you are not helping! LOL. That blue scarf is going to be lovely. Thanks for the links to the tea swap and scarf exchange...very very tempting....

Angelika said...

Nice to see you joined the secret german KAL too. I thought after the MS3 I had enough, but for some reason this one sounded good, so I went for it too. Let'a have fun with it end of this month. See you there.

Beth said...

Ah, yes, I've had a case of SSS too and even cast on for a pair of mittens yesterday. I'm totally with you on the nupps and beads. They're both deal breakers.

Your swatch looks quite nice.

Can't wait to see what all your hard work turns into.

Will Pillage For Yarn said...

I think I am afflicted as well. *sigh*

Your swatch looks nifty. :-D

Anonymous said...

That blanket is seriously intimidating. Woa. I'm also dead set against deadline knitting this Season. My only goals are finishing things (when they get finished) and maybe a couple of xmas scarves.

Anonymous said...

I'm right there with you on the startitis. I'm holding back right now, but what is currently a case of "Gee, once the weather cools off I'm going to need a scarf" is going to explode into "Holy crap, forget about the scarf, I have Christmas gifts to knit." It's not going to be pretty.

sheep#100 said...

"May have four or five socks on the needles"?!

Nuts, I need to cast on a pair or two post haste - or maybe after I finish grading papers....

Stacey said...

look at all that fall goodness starting up! I think we all get that this time of year!

Anonymous said...

Oooh, the curve of pursuit! I've been wanting to knit one since I saw Monika's.

There is nothing wrong with choosing a project based on it's name. At least I hope not. I've used worse methods.

Anonymous said...

I think I'm the opposite right now - don't know what I want to be knitting or starting. Your projects are nice!

lexa said...

That Curve of Pursuit is quite funky.

Nana Sadie said...

Gorgeous lace! And I do understand startitis...(sigh)
(((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

Man, you are swatching and swatching and swatching. Good job! CAn't wait to see the real thing. I support your SSS syndrome. It's a good syndrome.

Carol said...

I think the startitus thing is contagious! Oh what a blanket! With all you've already got going, the Curve of Pursuit is plenty! But Oh, what a blanket!

Becka said...

love the swatch! oh my, i'm a rare bird, the monogamous knitter (well...not lately, due to circumstances beyond my control i have 3 project otn and it's driving me crazy!) i love to possibly sketch a bit and design, maybe, maybe not, then cast on, knit and cast off of 1 project! how you knitters with such multiples otn's live i just don't get it..i've tried and can't even deal with seeing a few ufo's! lol, told ya, rare bird!

Diana said...

Wow, that Curve of Pursuit is going to be fantastic. I checked that site you posted and the browns and neutrals are fabulous! How large will it be?
I like that scarf too!
Exchanges, swaps, secrets, I couldn't keep up!!

Teyani said...

nice samples, errr, swatches, errr, project beginnings (grin) I like the secret red one a bunch. It looks enticing, but not too complicated.

Marlene said...

What? No socks made it into the fall queue?

Anonymous said...

Starting things then taking them out is a good idea. If I leave them on the needles, it is only then that I feel guilt set in. I'm very interested to see how your mystery shawl develops. I'd like to join in something like that, but it scares me. So much commitment and all . . . LOL I am knitting lace now and I love it, but I think I should finish the piece I have right now (the Orchid Lace Scarf) before moving on to something bigger. Oh, I am looking daily at patterns, and my books, and I have yarn ordered, but I am going to try to resist the temptation to knit a little up just to see what it looks like.

Valerie Polichar said...

Ooh, you got some Melinda handspun. She does beautiful stuff, no? I wore the shawl made of her handspun yesterday (I was lucky enough to be her pal-ee in S.P. 8 or so) and it's heavenly.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Dave:) How do you access this pattern in english at the SOC yahoo group? Haven't had much luck. I can read french, but not german. Help!

Ang

Dave said...

Ang: It's set up exactly the same as English Yahoo groups. Click on the link on the left-hand side that says "Dateien".

BEESTLYproducts said...

OMG!!!! that ghan is amazing!!!!

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Thanks for posting the link to Paula's scarf pattern. It looks great and I think I'll give it a try myself!

Anonymous said...

I've managed to focus solely on using stash yarn and knitting no more than two projects at a time all year--until about now--and I'm having a hard time restraining myself to stick to the projects at hand and keep to two replacements. I suspect it is because Wendy's "Knit from Your Stash" is about over and yarn festivals are looming. It might also be my brain responding happily to the cooler temperatures.

The lacy pattern is lovely, and I'll be eager to watch your progress. I think I lack the will-power to knit something that doesn't have a complete set of instructions at the outset.

marjorie/primetimeknitter.typepad.com

Yankee Girl ~ Missy said...

Dave, I always enjoy reading your blog. You always have such interesting projects going on, and your stories are great also.

By the way....
TAG YOUR IT….

http://missysknittingmess.blogspot.com/2007/09/im-tagged.html

Lucia said...

Love the blues in the scarf! Love all the projects, actually. I came over because I just now found the Garterlac Dishcloth. Surprise, I love that too, but I'm even slower than I thought.

weezalana said...

The Secret of Chrysopolis - isn't that the name of the new Indiana Jones movie?

kathy b said...

Im with you. NO deadline knitting for me this fall. Having just finished 3 gifts all due about now, I am ready for a breather.

Leigh said...

Hi. I found your blog after someone left a link to it in the comments of my latest sock knitting post. What a lot of great information!

Unknown said...

Hey Dave! Thanks so much for the well wishes regarding my little guy :) That was very kind of you- I also just finally realized who you are...I thought the qazwsx15 looked familiar...I know you from Etsy!! I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes, but I do catch on eventually! *grin*

Petra said...

The ebay link was a really bad one ;-) My goodness these are gorgeous designs! Knit yourself a Crazy Quilt ;-) Great idea!