Friday, July 25, 2008

Math Blues

There are those who would say that one shouldn't mix dots ....

.... with stripes.

To which I would respond, "Pshaw."


I used to be good with numbers. I think that was way back in Grade 4 or something. Once we went from the Imperial system to Metric, I only got worse. Yes, I can add, substract, multiply, divide, figure out percentages, etc., but actually internalizing what those numbers mean in real quantities often eludes me.

I love how the Whatnot sport-weight yarn from Union Center Knits in the Cloak colourway knits up in a great-for-denim stripey-ness. The colours all just meld together so well.

What I don't understand is why I cannot transfer the knowledge that I need 300 grams of DK weight yarn for a pair of socks into needing about the same amount of sport weight yarn. Yup, I ran out just at the start of the second toe. But I liked the stripes so much that I went stash-diving and found something that I thought would go with it, and re-knit the suckers with contrasting cuffs, toes and garter heels.


To further confound my math blues, it seems that 50 grams of DK weight yarn will make two cuffs, two heels, but only one toe. Sigh. Had to break out the second ball.

(Hush, you, I don't want to hear about toe-upped-ness. I'd have had the same problem, because I'd have knit the leg to the same length. And I also don't want to hear about two-at-a-time. I'm ornery that way.)

These stripes, they were worth it.


I did join SOS '08, so it was only fitting that I finish at least one pair over the summer, eh?

So what's keeping me from knitting more socks?

Um, that would be ... this.



I loves me some reversible cables, and when I first saw this pattern, I knew I'd have to make it some day. Well, that day has come. I really want to finish this by September, but my math blues have hit again. It only takes three balls of Smooshy, so I figured that's like three socks' worth of knitting, right? I can do that.

Umm, dude.

That's really six socks, probably seven because they're big balls. And it's all a form of 1x1 ribbing. On both sides, because it's reversible. And it's cables. And as much as I'm enjoying it, and I am enjoying it, it is taking for-freaking-ever.

I know there's such as thing as project monogamy, but I doubt I'm capable of it. Or am I?

49 people had something to say:

fleegle said...

You remind me of a friend of mine who is actually a rocket scientist. She can't do percentages. That is truly a scary thought.

In your case, however, your unmathematicalness has produced socks of fantabulousness! And I adore your blue faux-cables too!

bockstark.knits said...

Both the socks and Jeanie are awesome!!!

Marcia said...

Gorgeous shawl! I love the color and the pattern - I might have to make one of those for myself :)

Teyani said...

those socks are totally worth it - fabulous stripe-i-ness!
And I love that shawl... project monogamy?? what's that, a new form of knitterly dementia? (heh heh)

Marlene said...

I love the socks....even if you won't come over to the sensible side and do them toe-up and two at a time on a single circular. Just sayin'....

Carole Knits said...

I love those socks - the yarn combo is terrific!

Charity said...

The socks are so great! I really love Whatnot sock yarn - Joni's got a great eye, eh?

sheep#100 said...

I like the stripes and dots together!

Abigail said...

Excellent combination!

You just might turn the fashion world upside down today.

Anonymous said...

2 beautiful projects! I need to get back to my Jeanie. I've been cheating on her way too long!

Anonymous said...

What a great inspiration to put those two yarns together - it looks fantastic! There is something so focused and singleminded about project monogamy, plus you get a finished object sooner, at least if the boredom doesn't get you! It will be beautiful when it's done!

MRS MJW said...

Now those are my kinda socks. Kudos!

Robin said...

I have to be honest here ~ those socks look like intentional design, not hmmmm ... now what?!

Jean said...

Adding the contrasting yarn allowed the stripes to be displayed - almost like a picture in a frame - revealing your artistry.

Anonymous said...

The socks turned out great. You're right -- stripes and dots DO go together!

Glad you got a pair in for SOS!

Yarndude said...

I am definitely with you about knitting one sock at a time from the top down. What is all this nonsense of "two at a time toe up socks on one long magic loop circular needle" stuff. Give me one ball of yarn and some DPNs and I'll be happy for plenty of time to come.

Jennie said...

The socks turned out fab!!

lexa said...

Love the socks. Jeanie is an absolutely beautiful color!

Zonda said...

Well I think the two together look really good! Bummer on having to reknit a bit though! Jeanie is looking good so far!

Anonymous said...

Those socks look great and will be great with denim as you say. Hey, I'm hopeless mathematically too. We can't all be brilliant at everything. :o)

turtlegirl76 said...

Nicely done. You took away both of my perfectly reasonable arguments for doing things MY way. =P

I'll turn you on to toe-up soon enough. I know I will. I'll never give up!

Seriously though, by having to re-knit them, you came out with some really nice looking socks. Well done!

Monika said...

Even with your math problems, I say, well done with your socks!
This lace project looks wonderful. It has a great "mistakes" potential, when I look at all those cables! You are very brave!

Anonymous said...

Nice socks! Your Jeanie is going to be lovely - and don't worry, you'll finish it...eventually. ;op

Opal said...

A project that is *not* socks? I'm astonished! It's looking great though!

So are those socks. I love the tweed with the stripes. Really a treat for the senses. :)

Anonymous said...

I have never been tested for this by an actual allergist, but I do believe I am allergic to math.

Hee.

LOVE those socks. LOVE.

Jennifer said...

Beautiful socks, and Jeanie looks amazing. It's well worth the extra time for sure!

Nik said...

Dude,

You've done a great job with the sock yarn combination. Sweet.

And that shawl is to die for! That's my kind of shawl. I don't know if I will ever make it, so you'll have to hurry up and finish it so that I can live vicariously.

Marjorie said...

I decided to knit socks and shawls this summer, and the shawls are definitely winning out.

That shawl pattern is intriguing.

But despite your math woes, the socks look wonderful. Long division is my nemesis--that goodness for pocket calculators.

Carrie K said...

Of course you can do project monogamy. But do you actually want to?

OTOH, Jeanie is gorgeous! Gorgeous! [walks off chanting "I don't need a scarf, I don't need a scarf....]

Those socks are cute! Stripey stripes and dots. Perfect. Math? There is math in how much yarn is used in a project? That's just silly talk.

Nana Sadie said...

Those socks are too cool!! I love them...
What a "happy accident!"
(((hugs)))

limedragon :-: Harriet said...

Dude, lucky you, knitting Jeanie. Great color, too. The dots & stripes socks are handsome! :)

Lynn said...

I LOVE those socks!!! The second I saw the two yarns side by side I knew they'd be great socks, but I didn't realize HOW great until I saw your finished pair! Great job as always. and dont forget to post your finished socks on Ravelry!

As far as that other project?? WOW it is gorgeous but I agree, it would take me forever as well.

judy said...

You won! Perfect marriage of yarns. I can't speak for project monogamy.. can NOT.

knottykitty said...

For someone who can't do teh maths, you sure turn out lots of awesome-ness! Love those socks. I so love your blog because you always come up with such creative and colorful FO's!

I wanna be able to knit like you in my next life (this one's a lost cause at this point---no skilz...heh.) :)

Sarah said...

I like the polka dots with the stripes. A lot. And that wrap- very cool. I'm with you on the time commitment though, it's 'pay attention' knitting, not 'just knit' knitting.

Unknown said...

Those are some awesome socks! I love the combination of yarns you choose. I think they're perfect with each other. And the Jeanie is looking really lovely as well! I totally understand you on the ribbing. I hate ribbing. Really beautiful, though!

BEESTLYproducts said...

effing lovely.

we're all project whores tho, aren't we?

Life's a Stitch said...

How did I miss that shawl pattern? I'm 20 minutes to being done on my Print O-the Wave and this new one is already calling to me. Thanks for enabling.

Carol said...

I love that blue. It's gorgeous. As ar ethe socks. And the Jeanie. umm, I'm gonna go get my drool cloth. Ciao

gilraen said...

I love the spots and stripes!! The only thing better would be 'stars and stripes' :D

Anonymous said...

Methinks those are about the nicest socks I've seen in a long time! Way to think outside the box.

Valerie Polichar said...

The socks are much cooler this way than if they'd been knit in all stripes. Hurrah for serendipity!

Laurie said...

Woah! Those socks rock my socks off! :) VERY NICE!!!

Julie said...

Oooh! I love the dots & stripes together - perfect match, in my opinion! And the wrap is looking lovely...that's such a great pattern. I just fear it would make me insane.

AR said...

I love the stripes with the dots. The socks look great! And that wrap is gorgeous, too bad I already have so many things on the needles!

bellydknits said...

Hi Dave!

I'm new to your blog so I thought I would drop a note.

Love the socks.

randi K design said...

Pretty darn intricate, however beautiful! And I like yours better than the original!

NormaH said...

Oh, no, another Norma who's allergic to math but adores your socks! What is this world coming too!

Anonymous said...

I like the color combination of these socks and garter stitch heels looks like something I will have to try. I believe anyway a person knits is the right way to knit. Keep it up.

Take care, Joanne