Monday, September 01, 2008

Fickle

I thought I'd best post before someone left a "Have you been abducted by aliens?" comment. It has been a while. My admiration for people who continue to post whilst working on large projects has grown incredibly. Me, I just wanted to keep on knitting.

It seems that if I put my mind to it, I can devote myself to one project. Well, except for those 10 rounds of a sock that I tried to sneak in and about which I felt guilty with every stitch, and then there was that one round that was for purely scientific research so it doesn't count.

Who knew that I could actually finish something that was larger than a sock? Certainly not me. And on time, too, I must say, with a certain degree of satisfaction. Ends woven in and blocked, all by the target date.

It does seem rather fitting, though, that despite nurturing her with positive energy and careful ministrations, then wooing her with soothing music and chocolate fumes while constantly remarking on her lovely colouration and beautiful form, the fickle FO is currently evading decent photography. She's a shy maiden, this Jeanie.



I hope to get decent modeled shots and a proper FO post once she has made her way to the intended recipient. She's kept me good company for nearly two months, and I will be sad to see her go.

I found that one good way to motivate myself to keep knitting seemingly endless rows of ribbing was a bit of bribery. The "carrot at the end of the stick" routine seems to work equally well for donkeys and knitters.


I finally reached the carrot and can now play with my new toys. And I just might pull out a sock to work on too.

36 people had something to say:

fleegle said...

Gasp! Whatever it is, it's stunning!

Alwen said...

I'm all about the bribery. If I sort laundry, I get knitting. Or lately, Ravelry.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous. I'll bet you will love that blue carrot too.

Soo said...

Jeannie looks gorgeous -- can't wait to see more pictures.

Jean said...

The photo makes it look ethereal. I will look forward to other photos of it when you can think of a cat free - safe approach (I'll bet they would love to get ahold of this.)

lexa said...

I can't wait to see modelled shots! I love that color. :)

Marlene said...

Oh yah, it was only a matter of time. Down the spinning rabbit hole you go.

Yarndude said...

It looks awesome! Have fun with the spindle too!

Angelika said...

Seem there are a lot of us in the same boat. We knit, but don't have time to blog. Nice spindle, I hope you have fun with it.

limedragon :-: Harriet said...

Oooh, I can tell that your Jeanie is gorgeous!! WTG!!

Charity said...

Wow, Dave, Jeanie is beautiful! Well done, you! :0)

LaurieM said...

Shy wrap. I look forward to seeing the modeled shots. Who's the lucky recipient?

Nana Sadie said...

It's Lovely!!!! Can't wait for the modeling, but I must say I'm glad to see you back here.
Missed you!
(((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

Wow, Jeannie is gorgeous. Worth the blog silence. Besides, it's hard to knit obsessively while being bribed and baited.

Teyani said...

Jeanie is magical. can't wait to see more.

And so you have lept into the spinning fray?? woo hoo

Monika said...

Looking forward to better pictures, but from what we can see here, it's wonderful! What a lovely starter kit! I've spun merino/bamboo from her, and I adored the colorway! Have fun!

Abigail said...

She is truly lovely.

I'm glad you did not get abducted by aliens....I was getting a touch worried.

Opal said...

Jeanie is absolutely stunning! I love that photo too.

I am so excited! You're spinning! :-D

sheepish one said...

honestly. beautiful work.
jeanie reminds me of blue seas.
i'm sure that the recipient will adore her.

Briley said...

What a tease! It looks amazing, and I can't wait to see a full shot!

Anonymous said...

Just gorgeous! (And it really isn't cheating when it's for science... :))

Debi said...

She's absolutely lovely Dave...whomever she's going to is a lucky woman!

judy said...

She is a beauty. I may have to use her for my carrot.

jessie said...

Jeanie is lovely. I hope your new spinning keeps you as entertained... :-)

Chrissy said...

Very pretty! I'm looking forward to seeing it modeled!

Have fun with the spinning - that looks like some nice roving!

Marjorie said...

That is beautiful. I'd like to say it is worth the wait to see the post, but I did miss reading about what you were up to.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see the rest of it! ;o)

Kiki said...

Your Jeanie is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

That's it - I can say I was abducted by aliens :-)
Your shawl looks elegant, soft and beautiful.

Sarah said...

I can't wait to see it modeled- it's lovely

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Your Jeanie is gorgeous! You did a wonderful job on it!

turtlegirl76 said...

Oooh Jeanie is a stunning shawl, I can't wait to see your properly photographed! Something like that really does deserve the patience to wait for the right lighting. It looks great so far though!

Anonymous said...

oh thank Dog you finally posted! I was about to call out the Mounties! Jeanie is simply gorgeous. I don't know how I missed that in Knitty. I'll be looking forward to more photos and deets about her.

Patricia said...

Love the play on light. Can;t wait to see the finished project.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree. Isn't it amazing how people manage to blog multiple times a week, knit tons of beautiful objects, and hold down a job? I'm in awe of them, although I tell myself that they must have a maid and a cook.

I love your new toys. Have fun and welcome to the slippery slope of spinning.

Anonymous said...

Your Jeanie is gorgeous. I've been eyeing it as well, but have shied away somewhat, because it looks rather difficult to me. Is it? Now you've wet my appetite for the spindle, too. Thanks!:)
Ang