Sunday, September 21, 2008

Fall line-up

Anna Dalvi, the talented designer of the Mystic series of shawls, has another one starting soon, this one called Mystic Earth. I thought I'd give it a try.

Here's sort of what the swatch looks like.

I say "sort of" because I've made three of them on different size needles and just can't get mine to come out the same size as hers. I've decided to go with one needle size up from what's shown above and call it good. I'm using a 50/50 wool/silk blend (probably Zephyr) dyed by Yarn Ahoy in a colourway called Spicy Pumpkin. (That's a sunbeam across the upper right, not a colourway thing.)

The KAL starts on September 30, so there's still time to join up, if you wish.

I've also been playing with my spindle. It's lots of fun. :-) I've tried Navajo plying and Andean plying, both of which satisfy the frugal Scot in me, and have just generally been enjoying it.

I did end up going for a lesson at one of the LYSs, which helped tremendously with my drafting. Here are the two ends of my latest endeavour, plied together, showing how much thinner and consistently I've been able to draft since the lesson.

And here's where I'm at now.


It's about 16 wpi, which is where I want to be, but I want to get from a two-ply down to a three-ply while keeping the same thickness. Must practice more.

19 people had something to say:

Julie said...

You're yarn is looking great, what a big difference that lesson made!

sheep#100 said...

Great improvement! Well worth the class, I'd say.

Sarah said...

The spinning looks great! I love those colors too.

turtlegirl76 said...

Mmm spicy pumpkin. That's my kinda colorway.

Kay-From the Back Yard said...

You did that with your drop spindle? Goodness, it's fabulous!

But I'm suspicious about why they call it a "DROP spindle." Conjures up visions of what might happen when I get brave enough to give it a try...

fleegle said...

Your swatch is lovely! And pumpkin is so Halloween, you know? Can't wait to see more than a tiny swatch :)

Jean said...

I believe a creative person as yourself will love spinning (not to mention the money you will save). I have every confidence that you will master this. Have you checked out the spindles on Smatterings blog? They are really beautiful.

Sarah said...

Just wait -- once you start spinning thin, you won't be able to spin the thick stuff anymore! (I'm slightly exaggerating here, but I find I spin nothing but thin now.)

I've actually heard that for a three ply, assuming you spin the singles all the same size, the finished yarn will actually be the thickness of two of the plies.

earthchick said...

Oh, WOW, excellent progress! I mean, all the yarn is gorgeous, but it's so clear how you're getting better. I'm so encouraged. Currently I spin yarn that is roughly the size of rope, or maybe dreadlocks. I'm taking a class at the end of next month, so maybe I can't start making slightly smaller yarn soon.

Teyani said...

Your spinning is improving by leaps and bounds! It is lovely.
Be sure to save these early skeins - I used mine for a woven table scarf, and the texture in them made it really pop.

I think that pumpkin color for the shawl is going to be lovely as well.

Patricia said...

I here that the plying is the best part. Someday, I too, will take the spinning plunge.

Nana Sadie said...

I love the pumpkin yarn! But I won't join you in this, as I've too much OTN right now. I need to get things under control!
lolol
You're spinning is great!
(((hugs)))

nova said...

the spinning looks great, Dave! I think with practice, you should be able to get that 3-ply you are looking for.

Kathleen Taylor said...

Your spinning looks fantastic! You're making fabulous progress!

dickie said...

Yummy swatch. =)
Seeing your awesome hand spun totally tempts me to learn how to spin... I'll just keep telling myself that I can't afford another hobby so I'll have to spin vicariously through your blog.

Anonymous said...

You are just becoming such a versatile textile artist! I wanted to sign up for this shawl KAL too, but after much thought...I am sticking with Irtfa'a - although a KAL is much more fun!

Opal said...

Lovely swatch and yummy spinning! The questions are.. when are you going to get a wheel and what kind will you be getting? ;-)

Carrie said...

Your spinning is awesome! I love my spindle, too. I don't "get" navajo plying, but I enjoy the Andean. Careful, spindling is how I suddenly felt the need for an Angora rabbit...

KnittySue said...

Your spinning is encouraging me to try it out, what a great job. And I love that pumpkin color and the pattern of the swatch too. Can't wait to see it finished.