Monday, December 28, 2009

Titles are the hardest part of blogging … other than the actual blogging part, that is

So, I’m sitting here spinning and knitting away, getting close to finishing a few things, and I start to think about what I’m going to say about them on the blog, and then I begin to wonder, you know, when was the last time I blogged?  So I checked.  Oh.  Okay.  I’m behind again.  Some day I’ll be organized enough to actually keep up.  Maybe a New Year’s Resolution?  Nah. :-)

IMG_8499aYummy Falkland from All Spun Up in the catchy colourway name of November/December Spin-a-Long.  This was an easy spin, but it’s hard to capture the colours correctly.  They’re deep purples and dark blues and intense greens, livened up with a bit of gold and yellow and brown. 

IMG_8913aI spun up all 8 oz. and ended up with 756 yards, 15 wpi, chain ply.

IMG_9194a I love it – deep and dark, with a few highlights.  And even though I took about 100 pictures, those are the only ones that even remotely get the colours right.  I guess I should read the manual for the dang camera some day and figure out what all those other buttons and knobs and switches are for. :-)

And from a totally different colour family:

IMG_8951a Wonky!   A quick and easy knit for a thicker yarn, and yes, it really is that bright.  I used the yarn I wrote about here.  It was knit up as a last minute Christmas gift, and the giftee loved it.  Happiness all around.   

IMG_8966bAnd switching gears yet again:

IMG_9508aThis is  8 oz of merino, Holly Berry colourway, from the CJ Kopec November/December Spin-a-Long.    I really wanted to make a thick and thin art yarn type thing, but my hands didn’t want to cooperate.  I ended up spinning it into two thin plies and then holding the two together as I chain plied.

IMG_9607b I quite like the marled tweedy effect, and it’s a good way to bulk up some otherwise thin singles.  I wasted a fair bit of the fibre when I was goofing around with it, but I still ended up with 205 yards, 9 wpi, 6 ply.

IMG_9621aThere, all caught up, again … at least until tomorrow. :-)  

26 people had something to say:

lexa said...

Your handspun is beautiful as usual!

Hope you are enjoying your holidays. :)

Tara said...

The 3rd is my fave. The first is something I'd be more likely to pick up, but I just like the way the colors came together in a way I didn't expect on the last one.

Angie said...

Your spinning is magnificent!

Derick said...

Fantastic stuff. How did you come up with the doubled chain plying idea?

fleegle said...

Beautiful stuff! And I do love chain-plying myself!

Monika said...

Beautiful handspun, and the Wonky looks great!
Did you have trouble navajo plying with two strands held together?
I have the same problem, thin is all I can spin, and I have to "multi" ply to get thicker yarn. This method you used sounds interesting, and I like the outcome.

Julie said...

Getting colors right can be a pain- something to do with white balance and grey cards, ugh- too much thinking! I just try a few different backgrounds and a few different angles of light source. Lovely spinning though!

Blog when the spirit moves you, we'll be here waiting and glad to hear from you. :)

Micki said...

Fantastic yarns, Dave! I'm going to have to give that double chain ply a whirl someday. (And by the way, I am much behinder in my blogging than you are.)

Nana Sadie said...

Everything is lovely, but that first yarn? OMG. I'm drooling on the keyboard here...
Stunning!
Happy New Year, Dave - I do hope you make that resolution to let us hear from you more!
((((hugs))))

Yarndude said...

I love both of your spun yarns. That's such a cool idea to hold two singles together and chain them. I love the effect!

lookinout said...

That November/December is very sharp. I also think of summer woods with dark shadows under the trees and touches of bright blue sky.
Gillian

Cookie said...

I had a feeling you were busy spinning and knitting. I'm not surprised that everything is lovely and wonderful.

Happy New Year!

Opal said...

your yarn is always so inspiring. i always enjoy seeing what you've created.

and i totally agree. titles are a bitch.

happy holidays, dave! :)

Zonda said...

I'm with you on the titles too, sometimes I just want to say..stuff, news, whatever ;)

Love the handspun and cowl! Gosh, I'm so far behind in spinning...soon I'll catch up though :)

Jean said...

My favorite has to be the first handspun with all the rich colors. The bright cowl is probably just perfect for the gray days that you have up there. It'll go with so many colors, I'll bet the recipient loved it.

Lisa said...

Great spinning! Gotta love ASU and CJKopec! 2 of my favorites!

Sarah said...

Love the handspun, as always! I really like the idea of holding two singles together to N-ply. The effect is really interesting. Gotta try that sometime!

sgeddes said...

Beautiful! I hope that you have a great new year and I look forward to seeing your upcoming projects, no matter what the scheudle. I'm hoping to be able to get back to it soon too.

I like the technique you used for the marled yarn - I'll have to add that to the list to try.

Carrie K said...

I so want a sweater out of that marled yarn, the colors are perfect.

Pretty spinning!

Have a happy new year!

Anonymous said...

All of the colors are simply divine. Happy new year!

willyg said...

Re: November/December: oooh! *licking lips*

But it is actually your Wonky that turns me on. Great stuff all around!

Angie said...

Gorgeous spinning stuff. Makes me think I should give it a try one day. So, so busy, though. I think it is enough for me to ease back into blogging for now. Glad you have been keeping yourself busy...plenty to read about:)

Sarah said...

For a second, I thought I wrote this post LOL. I can totally relay about title for posts...it's really the hardest part of blogging :D Mine are pretty boring. I just spun up 4 oz of yak, cashmere, and merino blend of fiber that looked almost like yours except it's without the yellow/gold hues. Your handspun are gorgeous, Dave! Thanks for all the inspiring eye-candies. I look forward to seeing your creations unveil in 2010. Spin and knit on, my friend!

Ana R. said...

hello...
I found your work now...
its beautiful...
congratulations

judy said...

Hey Dave, I'm hoping that your hiatus will be a temporary one. Rest up, reassess. Your spinning is inspirational. Gorgeous work!

Flüge said...

The wool is fantastic! I like the last one best. The colors are so great. Green and pink go together just perfect.
The yarns are spun really quite wonderful :)