Monday, June 19, 2006

Knit Sock Kit Swap Questionnaire

Yup, I joined, and here's my nitty gritty:

What are your favorite colors? Blue. Brown. Green. Grey. No yellow or pink, unless it's in small doses mixed up with blue, brown, green or grey.

Are you a new sock knitter? How long have you been knitting socks? Nope, not new. I grafted my first toe on February 25, 1999.

Do you prefer solid or multicolored yarn? Solids for patterns, and multicoloreds for plain. Lately I've been leaning more towards plain multicoloreds and less patterns. Is plain multicolored oxymoronic?

What fibers do you prefer in sock yarn? Wool, with a 65 % preference for superwash over non. A little bit of nylon can be a good thing. I don't "get" cotton socks.

Where do you usually knit socks? At home, in front of either the computer or the tv.

How do you usually carry/store small projects? I have several little baskets that I use. When I run out of those, it's time to haul out the plastic bags. Ziploc Vegetable Bags work great - they have little holes so you can squish the bag :-)

What are your favorite sock knitting patterns? Usuallly whatever I have on the needles at that particular moment, unless it's giving me grief, at which point my favourite becomes the one I'm thinking about knitting about the grief-giving one. I've devised a "fit-my-foot" plan that I use to adapt whatever pattern I might be knitting at the time.

What are your favorite sock knitting techniques? No real favourites, but I can say my least favourite is stranding. Up until a very short while ago, I'd have said top-down. I recently tried toe-up, and it's growing on me, except for ... see next question.

What new techniques would you like to try? I have yet a find a satisfactory bind-off for toe-up. I've only used the EZ sewn cast-off, and although nice and stretchy, it ended up little flarey. More experimentation is required.

Do you prefer circulars or dpns for sock knitting? DPNS all the way.

What are some of your favorite yarns? Regia, Koigu, Lorna's Laces. I can't really say I've met a sock yarn I haven't liked, except for Kroy. I've never had luck with Kroy. I've recently acquired some yummy handpaints that I'm itching to turn into production. I need more arms.

What yarn do you totally covet? Anything with blue in it.

Any pattern you would love to make if money and time were no object? No.

Favorite kind of needles (brand, materials, straights or circs, etc)? Aero DPNS.

If you were a specific kind of yarn, which brand and kind of yarn would you be? Is this one of those Zen questions? I'm too hyper to Zen.

Do you have a favorite candy or mail-able snack? I love licorice. And pink popcorn. But not at the same time.

What’s your favorite animal? I've had dogs, cats, birds, lizards, snakes, and various other miscellany at one time or another. I loved them all. Could you pick a favourite child? I think not.

Do you have pets? What are their species/names/ages? I presently have a fish who has no name but usually gets addressed by, "Do you want some food now?" He's a blue Siamese fighting fish that I've had for three years.

If you were a color what color would you be? Blue.

Describe your favorite shirt (yours or someone else’s). Plaid, flannel, soft, warm.

What is your most inspiring image, flower, or object in nature? I love trees.

Tell me the best quote you’ve ever heard or read. If you keep doing what you've always been doing, you keep getting what you've always got. It's not really a quote, but it's something I keep reminding myself when I keep getting what I've always got.

Do you have a wishlist? You mean other than world peace and an end to hunger and disease?

Anything else you’d like to share with the group today? I don't really think there's a group that's still reading this, so I'll pass :-)

5 people had something to say:

Anonymous said...

I love your answer to your favorite animal. People drive me nuts when they tell me, "It's just a cat." I don't have a child, but I can certainly appreciate how amazing and fullfilling they are. /rant
:)

Anonymous said...

Check!

Yer pal

Anonymous said...

your pusher lady chimes in with a "HI"! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, thanks for visiting! Yes, I like that blue/brown mix too.. Those socks became a bit to small because of my determination to tesing a new kind of heel. So they fit my mother-in-law.(too small) Now I just have to make a pair for myself in that same colour!
You have a nice and fun blog to visit!!

Eleni said...

Rats! I missed my chance to join this one. I was in for the dye job, but not this one....can't wait to see what you get and what you come up with!