Sunday, November 05, 2006

Something old, something new

I went digging through the cupboard, looking for something to do, and look what I found.



A pair of mitts, started when? Last year? The year before? I can't remember. All they needed was one top finished and a couple of thumbs. Knit with two strands of Patons Decor held together, colour Tapesty, at a thick, warm and hopefully windproof gauge of 5 stitches per inch, based on the generic mitten pattern in Ann Budd's generic book of patterns. I finished them.



What looked like brown and beige as I was knitting them inside turns out to be brown and purple in the brighter outdoor light. Never mind, they'll be good this winter when I'm shovelling, sweeping and scraping my way through the snow and ice.

I also found this.


It's Noro Silk Garden, colour No. 203. I bought it a while ago as a bribe to myself. In an effort to overcome my sweater phobia, I said, "Dave, dude, you have two sweaters on the go. Finish them. One is a year old, and the other probably two years. Finish them. Then you can knit the Noro."


I don't always listen to myself. I really want a cardigan. I have two underway. Somehow, I find myself knitting a pullover.

Doesn't matter. I'm happy.

40 people had something to say:

Liz K. said...

Well, you know it is Norovember on someone's blog, so this is the perfect project. You're a joiner and you didn't even know it!

I say this because I just finished a Noro sweater too, without knowing about the KAL.

Marlene said...

I think that Noro could make me happy too. Lovely colorway.

CelticCastOn said...

that colourway is great! I looove it. There's no point knitting something half hearted when your desire is totally in something else. Knit on!

Anonymous said...

Mittens, pullovers, cardigans, knit them all. Preferably all at once. The more WIP's the merrier.

HPNY KNITS said...

that is a handsome colorway!! and just in time for Norovember! noro just does magic! it'll be a great pullover.

Unknown said...

The mittens look great! That's a nice UFO that requires only a little bit of work and not a lot of angst. That Noro colourway is really superb; it may not be a cardigan but I think you will enjoy the finished pullover. Nice work Dave!

limedragon :-: Harriet said...

Great mittens; and just in time for the winter. : ) That Silk Garden colorway is wonderful!

LaurieM said...

Love the Silk Garden! I've just succumbed myself and I know I'll drop everything like yesterday's trash when it shows up in the mail. The drape on that stuff is wonderful.

I like the way the ribbing and the color stripes are at cross purposes.

Isn't Paton's Decor acrylic? I'm afraid you won't find it warm, even doubled up. Just bulky.

Paisley said...

That Noro colourway is just delicious. Enjoy!

sheep#100 said...

Knit a happy thing!

Anonymous said...

Yummy yarn! Kniton :o)

bunchkin said...

I just bribed myself with some Silk Garden, too. The deal is that I can't knit it till I finish what I am working on right now, but we all know how this is going to end.

Nana Sadie said...

Come join us for Norovember! LOVE the colors...and the mittens, too!
(((hugs)))

Unknown said...

Just in time for mitten weather too - way to knock off a UFO!

Silk Garden is an awesome bribe and even if you didn't wait it's a win/win - great colourway!

Jennifer said...

Beautiful silk garden colorway! I love working with Silk Garden. I don't know how you held out this long.

Carol said...

Noro would make me happy too! And knitting is all about the happiness....

Anonymous said...

What a great find on those mitts. Nothing like a quick finish to boost the knitters ego.

The pullover is working up nicely. I love the ribbing with the colorway of stripes going the other direction, very eye catching. Can't wait to see the final product.

Happy knitting!! ;)

~Suz~

Acornbud said...

That's a nice Noro colorway. So nice to finish a found UFO. Hope to see those sock blockers in action, soon.

sko_G knits said...

omg, i love Love LOVE that noro colorway. AND...i can totally relate. i have a sweater that i have been meaning to finish that's been "in the works" for a year and a half!!! all that's left is one more sleeve!!! well, i guess there's more involved than just knitting up one more sleeve, there's the seaming, the sewing of the zipper, and of course the blocking. the blocking, i don't mind, but the rest of the finishing....i don't know why i have such an aversion to it. although, like you i do have a bribe for myself to get that thing done!!!

Kirsten said...

I don't think I'd have listened to myself either. That Noro is simply too gorgeous to ignore! The sweater is looking scrumptious!

Unknown said...

And if you're happy then the rest of it just falls right into place!

Nik said...

I have so many darned UFOs in my closet it's a shame. Many of them are afghans that friends requested years ago. I think they've given up on getting them.

Anonymous said...

Oooh, that Noro is pretty.

turtlegirl76 said...

Yay for FOs! And WIPs! (Where's the chains though? I've always wondered...)

*cough*socktober socks*cough*

lexa said...

Nice mittens. I think we have that color at the store. That Noro sweater is gonna kick butt! I love the color.

Stacey said...

As long as you are happy it doesn't matter how many things you have on the needles!!! :)

Mag said...

Silk Garden is so seductive, how could you resist?

Lynn said...

It's a good thing that LittleBit (my youngest) is here in TX; she loves purple, and she'd seriously covet those mittens.

Anonymous said...

That's OK. I don't listen to myself, either!

Beautiful colorway on the Noro.

Anonymous said...

How nice to find a nearly finished object -- it's like finding a Christmas present you missed the year before in the toe of your stocking. Err, somehow it is, anyway. In that it's nice.

That Noro is gorgeous for a pullover -- I think it would have been just plain criminal to let that yarn sit there one more day without being turned into knitted fabric. You did the right thing.

Anonymous said...

The noro is gorgeous, I just love that colorway. Mitten is very pretty too, you're all set for warm hands =)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad it isn't just me who has a few projects on the go..... Taht Noro yarn is lovely and the colours are fantastic. Have a nice week :)

KnitPastis said...

Tempting me with all this beautiful Noro Silk! Up to a month ago, I never even touched Noro until my Tea Swap Pal from Canada made me a tea cozy out of it. Amazing how rich the colors are. This is a fab colorway you choose!

Paula said...

Isn't Noro silk garden awesome to work with? It is worth all the UFO's waiting a bit longer to use up the silk garden now! :)

P.S. I really like the colorway and how your mittens came out!

Cheryl:) said...

the Noro is gorgeous!!! Love what you are knitting with it!!

Knitting Rose said...

Great Mittens! Knitting with Noro - is there anything better?

Anonymous said...

I love the Silk Garden - gorgeous colorway! :o)

Anonymous said...

The Noro looks great - stripes seem to work for you eh? Come to think of it, they seem to work for everyone EXCEPT ME!

And you've reminded me that I have a pair of gloves waiting for thumbs somewhere 'round here. Must find them in time for... summer! Yup, we're on opposite seasons. x

Anonymous said...

Delurking to say...I love the way that yarn is working up! The Noro is beeeaautiful! I can relate to your sweater thing. I have one (my first) half done since May.

Anonymous said...

I just LOVE that colorway. Way to overlook those other two and just dive into this, something that you're enjoying. Curious to see how this will end up.