Sunday, October 29, 2006

Soctoberfailure

October has continued to be incredibly busy at work, to the extent that I feel totally drained, physically and mentally. For the first month since joining Sock-a-Month, I have been unable to finish a pair of socks. In Soctoberfest, yet.


That is the sum total of my progress. One sock, just past the heel. I've had to re-do that heel three times, because I seem to have lost the ability to count, and, for the first time ever, I also managed to lose a needle along the way. Trying to look at the positive side, I am one-third of the way done for November.

I don't even have any doodads to share with you, unless you count this:


My new sock blockers! For which I have no new socks!!

So, in lieu of pretty socks, I will leave you with a picture of some pretty yarn.




I'm gonna go have a nap -- cya next month.

27 people had something to say:

Bitterknitter said...

Dave-
I share your Socktober misery. Fortunately, I have some smallish feet in the house to knit for and may be able to squeak in under the deadline, but most socks this month have been cursed for me as well.

Gorgeous yarn! Care to share the details?

-Lisa

CelticCastOn said...

have a nap and recharge you batteries!

CynCyn said...

hope you're feeling refreshed. super purty yarn! what are you making with it, or is it just to admire?

ps. and no, we didn't have a uhaul. there were 3 ppl buying all that yarn, so it's not as much as it seems. :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the work busy-ness -- I hope things let up soon.

Those sock blockers are awesome! Very Harry Potter. (I am wearing Gryffindor Socks today, maybe that's why I thought that.)

By the way, I'm very impressed that you've only just now lost a needle for the first time ever. I do it pretty much daily.

Unknown said...

Let me tell you a story darlin. I have two jobs & drive an hour each way to get to both, each shift 12 hours & an hour each way to get there.
This week, I knit a hat. Simple enough. Got through 3/4 of it and noticed wrong size needles. So, had to frog it. I'm right there with you. And there was turning a year older yesterday. I too am going to take a nap....night night!!

Unknown said...

Did I mention I drive an hour each way to get there?? ROFL See why I'm going to bed? LOL

Lacefreak said...

It's nigh onto winter for goodness sake! Every rational animal is all set to go into hibernation. Ease up and enjoy the holidays.

lexa said...

Love the blockers! Got to get me some of those. Pretty yarn in the departing shot, too.

Meg said...

the bitter irony!
do you drink beer? maybe you could celebrate the other [s]octoberfest by the end of the month!?

Sayward said...

Don't fret! You're waaaay ahead of me and my Baudelaires.

Sharon said...

That is what I dislike about knitting to schedules, probably why I don't join many unless there is a long finishing time frame.

sheep#100 said...

Bummer - hope the nap was good, though!

LaurieM said...

Yes, I knit a pair of slippers, and a scarf during Socktoberfest. I also worked on two shawls and a vest! I'm a bad alonger. I'm not joining any more.

earthchick said...

So sorry about the work busyness. I hate it when work cuts into my knitting time!

The socks look super, though. I'll look forward to the FO next month!

Anonymous said...

Dave, no one is judging you for not finishing a sock this month. Sometimes stupid things like work get in the way of the important stuff like knitting.

Anonymous said...

Sleep well :) We'll be here when you get back!

Jennifer said...

Sounds like you need rest not socks! Rest, knit later.

Anonymous said...

no socks for you? no socks for me too!
:(

Sarah said...

I just hate it when pesky things like work get in the way of my knitting time! ;-)

Love the sock blockers! Where did you find those beauties?

Nana Sadie said...

I tend to join KALs to inspire me to knit, but I let it slide if it's just gonna create stress! Not worth it - knitting is relaxation!

Be really really kind to yourself, Dave - hope the nap helped - and hope that things calm down at work soon!
(((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

I'm not going to finish socks, either - very frustrating.

That sock yarn is freakin' gorgeous!

Marlene said...

Socks are something I only knit with NO deadline. I leave an ongoing pair in the car as emergency knitting only. Socks don't hold my attention long enough for everyday knitting.

Alisha said...

With all the great socks you turn out, you should have no worries with being a tad behind this time around!!

I love the sock blockers...great!

Anonymous said...

I've ripped every sock I've started this month - weird.
Oh well, at least the very cool blockers are ready... x

Anonymous said...

I think that, technically, you only have to START the socks during October, at least that's what the "rules" were last year. So....you are indeed NOT a Socktoberfest winner!
Groovy sock blockers. That might be just the right motivation to finish, I'd think...and the prospect of new, pretty yarn.

nihal said...

sock blockers? cool! man, i love north america just because of this, it is possible to find every kind of thing manufactured already... hehe :)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. The rest of the year I can churn out socks like nothing. For Socktober... it was nothing.