Thursday, October 12, 2006

Gobsmacked

I continued to be amazed, astounded, astonished -- gobsmacked -- at the generosity and kindness of knit bloggers.

A short while ago, Julia at Knitting History had a contest. She discovered she had an "extra" copy of Alice Starmore's Sweaters for Men and offered said book as the prize. All one had to do was post a comment. Can we say "Starmore"? Can we also say "hard to find"? Can we also also say sweaters for "men"? Of course I entered because I've longed for that book for, well, a long time. As it turns out, however, I did not win the contest. Seems a certain Miss W had the luck of the random numbers in her favour that day, and I am very glad she won, because she is a very nice person, and I hope she enjoys the book.

However again, as it also also turns out, Julia had an extra "extra" copy of said book and she offered it to me. Out of the blue. Just because she's an extremely nice person. I accepted her offer. :-)


Thank you, Julia! I've already flipped through it, admiring the Veritable Variety of patterns, and will pursue it at my leisure when I have more time. Some designs seem a little dated, but many are classics. I may actually knit a sweater. :-)

In the Other News Department, I have made some progress on my Sockterbest Mama-E D.Mac sock.

It's ready for a heel, but it's also on hold for a moment because I discovered that the scarfs for the International Scarf Exchange are to be "received" by November 1, not "in the mail" by Novemer 1. Oops. I mailed out my Tea Swap and Chocolate Swap packages just about two weeks ago, and they still haven't been received. So much for expedited delivery, thank you very much, Canada Post. 13,728 stitches knit, plus the five rows I had to rip back and do over, and about a gazillion more to go. Gotta knit faster !!

28 people had something to say:

stephanie said...

Dave, I cannot wait to see what you knit from this book! You are awesome!
Also... the use of GOBSMACKED, is that something Canadians use frequently? Both you and the Yarn Harlot have it in your blogs today.

Anonymous said...

I think the fellow on the cover of that book fancies you...

Anonymous said...

Lucky! Loving the D. Mac sock, too!

Liz K. said...

The knit gods have been very good to you, Dave. You owe them some really spectacular knits.

Unknown said...

Beautiful book Dave! The sock looks good; you are whipping along. Canada Post is a real pain in the ass sometimes although I know I have also had stuff held up at the border so it is hard to know where to place the blame. Good luck on the scarf!

Leanne said...

Good luck on getting the scarf done. I mailed mine out on Tuesday and was told that an "expedited parcel" would take 11 days from Ottawa to California. That was the least expensive option with a tracking number.

Laura said...

totally love the colors in that sock yarn! beautiful! :)

Jennifer said...

Gorgeous sock yarn and yay for nice knitbloggers and extra books!

I just realized what the ISE deadline means too. You're not alone.

Anonymous said...

Received BY Nov 1?

The sock looks lovely, but Sweaters for Men? Surely there are only two......

Punkin said...

It is heartwarming and encouraging to hear of the generosity/kindness of acquaintances and strangers. What a treat all the way around!

Carol said...

Yup, Canada Post sucks. It takes 3 weeks to get a packagwe from here to anywhere in the US. It once took something 4 days to get from England to Toronto. Then another 4 days from Toronto to Kingston. Go figure...

Nana Sadie said...

Congrats on that book! Cannot wait to see what you knit...and those socks - ahhhhh...love the colors!
(((hugs)))

Paisley said...

What a nice pressie to receive "just because".
And that sock yarn is just delicious.

Unknown said...

OMG I thought it was the INTHEMAIL date too!!! I'm toast. Good thing I am finished with the scarf and looking for extras! Whew you're a life saver Dave!!

LaurieM said...

Lucky you! I have Starmore's Celtic Knits which is by far my favourite of all her books.

Yes, I once had the privilege of sitting in a room with all of them. One of my freinds had one of her freinds lend her library to her. Ow. That sounds confusing. So it was the freind of a freinds books.

Anyway, I got to look through them all. There were only a couple of sweaters I really coveted, so now I don't feel so bad about missing out on Starmore books. I've got the best one!

Anonymous said...

I have this book! I have yet to make anything from it because some of the designs do seem a bit, um, 20th century. But I know the day will come.

Have fun with it.

lexa said...

Congrats on getting a copy of the book as well! I bet it's really nice - I love the sweater on the cover. Your sock is looking good, too. Great colors.

Anonymous said...

That was very nice of her to give you another copy of the book - I can't wait to see what you knit out of it :o)

The sock is looking great so far! I love the colors.

Cindy said...

I know you're a better knitter than I am, but I think you should knit the cover sweater. I think it would look really good on you and you kinda hafta do it don't you since everyone has been so kind and all?

Cindy said...

I know you're a better knitter than I am, but I think you should knit the cover sweater. I think it would look really good on you and you kinda hafta do it don't you since everyone has been so kind and all?

Sayward said...

Oh wow! That is a great find and wonderful gift.

In case you're interested, the Carlingwood branch of the Ottawa Public Library has the impossible to find or afford Alice Starmore's Book of Fair Isle Knitting. I checked it out over and over again when I last lived there.

Anonymous said...

Wow, awesome! I love when karma comes around and bites the good ones in the behind :)

Teri.p said...

Congratulations on the swag, Dave!

I sure like the way the D Mac yarn is knitting up... gonna make a great pair of socks.

How is your computer these days?

Anonymous said...

that is one fine lookin' sock my friend!

limedragon :-: Harriet said...

Congrats on the book, socky, and chocolate goodnesses, yum!!!

HPNY KNITS said...

the colors of the sock are so lovely. like Fire Island early morning. sand dunes, some very pale blue sky, and just a touch of the green in the ocean.
:-)

Anonymous said...

Cool sock: beautiful, sublime colours - the pooling gods are obviously with you!

Re: generosity of knitters in blogland - amazing isn't it? I have a similar story regarding Kool-Aid.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'm looking at Broadripple right? Not the pregnant belly? Yep, must be Broadripple... PHEW! Talk about gobsmacked!

Heh, thanks for that. Check back in a day or 2... I'll definitely post some type of creation, weird or otherwise... x