Sunday, October 01, 2006

Pride Goeth

Sometimes you're knitting along and everything just falls into place. The yarn and the pattern are a perfect marriage, and the fabric that's being created is just what you hoped it would be.



The colours play nicely with each other, and you're so delighted with what you are creating that you frequently stop to admire your handiwork.



The colours are so enticing that, although you had originally intended to do a short-row heel, you change your mind midstream and do a flap, just so you can watch the colours play in the Eye of Patridge.


Life is wonderful.

You start the gusset, and then you remember why you had originally planned on a short-row heel.



You tell youself that although it looks pretty bad from close up, once it's way down there on the foot it may not be as noticeable.



That's when you discover that you can't even get it over your heel.

One of the joys of having multiple WIPs is that when one becomes problematic, you can turn to another.



Beautiful yarn and beautiful fabric, and yes , it does look a little bigger. Well, actually *quite* a bit bigger. Hmm ....



It's been one of those weeks.

49 people had something to say:

Nana Sadie said...

OH DAVE! OH NO...
(sigh)
What can I say??? (It was absolutely gorgeous, tho')
(((((hugs)))))

Anonymous said...

Oh no! Squiggly yarn - a very familiar sight here at BDKs! The patt on the 1st sock is perfect!

Unknown said...

DAve
I understand... I have had the same kind of week. Sigh. I am the froggin queen.. but not to worry its a new week and payday week too! Life is looking better.

Unknown said...

BTW nice balls :)

sheep#100 said...

Oh, Dave! Sorry about that!
But the yarn still looks pretty.

Anonymous said...

NOOOOOOOO!!!!! For the love of god....NOOOOO!

What are those yarns BTW? they are fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, but I had to laugh! Nice squiggly yarn there in them balls! You have my sympathy!

HPNY KNITS said...

oh no!! but why frog? Xmas is only around the corner. surely, someone would have fit into them?
they were lovely!

Anonymous said...

Oh no. I´ve been there and it´s no fun at all. (i´m bigfoot too) If it´ll make you happier the sock looks wonderful in the picture.
Greetings from Sweden //Anna

Julie said...

Damn, I hate it when that happens! The blue red yarn is just fab (think I already gushed over the other unless I've seen it on two blogs) and it looked amazing in eye of partridge. Hope it gets an equally lovely second chance.

limedragon :-: Harriet said...

Ouch, one of these weeks, so sorry!! Still, that eye of partridge was purty. : )

Jennifer said...

Uh-oh...

Carol said...

Too bad about the socks. Beauteous yarn though...

Dropstitchknitter said...

So sorry - I think it's been in the air lately - I think it's ripping season...

Michelle said...

I hate when that happens!

Hopefully next week will be better.

CelticCastOn said...

ohhh butt! I hate when that happens and that sock was sooo beautiful :(
I feel for ya!

Anonymous said...

Ugh, you and I seem to have the same bad knitting mojo this week. I have reknit a sleeve four times and I totally feel for you!

Marlene said...

Oh, bummer. Double bummer actually.

Angelika said...

Don't worry, we all go through those phases. Good luck for the next one. It hardly can get any worse.

LaurieM said...

I'm sorry. I laughed at your pain. At least one of us is happy.

bunchkin said...

Ouch! I hope this week is better!

aija said...

I admit I giggled too, but with you I'm sure :)

Anonymous said...

Oh no! But look how adorable they look now, full of new promise and hope.

Laura said...

oh dave. i've had spells like that too. for example, i have very bad sweater karma these days, as i have recently and extensively documented.

this too shall pass. :)

Anonymous said...

Perhaps this is God (or the FSM or whatever) telling you to gift those friends of yours with the skinniest and widest feet? That first sock is gorgeous.

(I'm wide, by the way....)

Bettina said...

It does seem we are all frogging to an extent.

Had a similar thing happen to make. Socks, but in this case for someone else, measured the lenght (toe-up) to see when to start the gusset a la Baudelaire. Did that, made the heel, started on the leg... and then measured again. Well, that size 9 mens foot turned out to be probably a size 12 in the end... waaaayyy to long. So, measure again, mark until where to frog and rrrrrippppppp. Pick up and start again.... so... you are not alone, froggin is a way of life at the moment it seems.

Take care, Bettina

Teri.p said...

Oh Dave.... I'm (nearly) ashamed to admit I got a laugh out of your sad situation. The heel flap was beautiful, wasn't it?

Stacey said...

Oh no! Looks like the sock mojo has left your needles for the time being! Fingers crossed it will be back very soon!!!

Sayward said...

Oh! Been there, done that...

turtlegirl76 said...

See now, the first one, I've done. I was too stubborn to rip. I foisted the socks onto my narrower footed sister. You are a brave soul.

Deb said...

Dave, I love witty Canadians. You are up there with Will Ferguson, who is my absolute favorite!

lexa said...

Well, poo! I really like how the heel flap looks, though. I've got some yarn that same color for socks for my boys!

brooke t. higgins said...

Ugh. I can relate. The balled up yarns have to sit in the corner and think about what they've done until they're ready to come out and play nice. I don't think any of them have come back out yet. Evil of them, isn't it?

RoadSide said...

on the bright side, its "double the fun" from one skein when you get to re-knit with it again :)

Sharon said...

Oh no that is way too nice to frog, find someone with small feet and they will thank you forever :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, Dave! That sucks! I've been swimming in the frog pond lately, too. It must be something in the air.

I really liked the blue/red yarn and how that was knitting up. Was that a slipped stitch pattern on the foot and ankle?

Anonymous said...

oh NO! That sucketh :o\

Sachi said...

Oh, I needed that. So happy to know I'm not alone.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is so sad! That eye of partridge heel looked so pretty too. . .

Jana said...

Some days you end up with a sock, some days you just come back with the same ball of great yarn you started with. Tomorrow is another day....

Anonymous said...

oh, the tragedy of it! ACK! my sympathies . . .

OzKnitter said...

Dang it! So pretty too.

Are you planning to reknit the red/blue one in the same pattern? It's gorgeous. What yarn is it?

Julie said...

I really enjoy the way you tell a story.

Anonymous said...

Sob!

We knitters should unite to create a database of people with strangely-shaped feet. Then you could look up someone whose feet are 18 inches around, or only 4 inches long, and send THEM the socks.

That eye of partridge heel really WAS quite stunning.

Paula said...

Even though it doesn't fit, it is very beautiful work!
I love colors and the way the heel worked out.

T said...

LOL! Poor baby! The pride part I understood, you do beautiful work.

Ohhhh, poor thing... :-)

earthchick said...

Oh, man. But that was some beautiful work you did. I'll look forward to seeing that yarn in its next incarnation!

Nad said...

Dave, first of all, thank you for visiting my blog! I have checked out yours and am in love with that pattern for the red and blue socks you had to rip again- what IS it? I think my current socks want to be exactly that pattern- slip stitch?? Looks a bit like it........ The sock looked so pretty...........

Operakatz said...

Ack. Truly one of those weeks. Or...hey...maybe your feet shrunk after trying on the one that wouldn't go over your heel? Bummer...