Sunday, October 22, 2006

Cabled Rib Scarf

I have finished and mailed off my scarf for the International Scarf Exchange. From reading my recipient's blog, I got the impression that she wasn't too much into the frou-frou but definitely would welcome a touch of utilitarian luxury.


The pattern is the Cabled Rib Scarf, designed by Anne at Knitspot. It was easy to remember after the first repeat and fun to knit.


I used Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran, which apparently may or may contain cashmere, but in any event was a pleasure to knit with, has great stitch definition while remaining incredibly soft and cushy, and has wonderful drape. This yarn also apparently has a bit of a reputation for pilling, but it behaved well as I dragged it to and fro while knitting.

I have fallen in love with reversible cables. I may have to make another one for me, but in a different colour because 5.5 feet of grey is quite enough, thank you very much. :-)

In the Other News Department: I continue to be amazed by the generosity of knit bloggers as they support each other in various activities, be they walk-a-thons, causes for cures, blankies for various people or general emotional support. With this in mind, I come to you, hat in hand, and ask for your assistance. It seems that one of us is in desperate need of an intervention. I ask not for your monetary assistance, nor your knitted squares. I simply need someone, anyone, to please, please, please design another dish cloth. I am feeling extremely guilty. (Hi, Shannon!)

46 people had something to say:

Michael said...

Gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous. I has also heard about the pilling, but the gloves I made for a friend have held up well so far.

Emily said...

It's stunning! You have a very lucky pal.

Marlene said...

It looks great Dave. Lovely choice of pattern, color and yarn.

aija said...

Wow, lovely! I have this pattern-- your pics make me want to knit it up now (hm, holiday knitting??)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Scarf! I love that it is reversible - I'm heading over to KnitSpot....

Michelle said...

Don't feel guitly. The dish cloth patters was an instant classic and everybody loves it! As I do the scarf.

Emma said...

Beautiful scarf! I love that yarn too. It's so soft and velvety.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous scarf, Dave! I like DB Cashmerino Aran yarn whether or not it actually has any cashmere. It feels so soft. I love those reversible cables. That is just beautiful, the way they almost glide through the scarf.

No help to you on the dishcloth pattern! I actually came by to copy your garterlac pattern again. Need more dishcloths.

sheep#100 said...

Oh, nice! I might have to do a reversible cable too. I like cables on a scarf but not the plain old backs.

HPNY KNITS said...

from the looks of it it drapes very luxuriously! lucky recipient! this will be a good pattern for the Red Scarf Project, since it is easily unisex!
thanks.
:-)

lexa said...

Love the scarf! I love cables, and grey is one of my faves. Too funny about the intervention!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I think I've seen every possible combination of rib and cables, and then another pattern comes along to prove me wrong. That is a gorgeous, elegant scarf, and I'm definitely keeping the pattern in mind.

earthchick said...

GORGEOUS!!!

Unknown said...

It's gorgeous!

strangelittlemama said...

Wow, that is really gorgeous. Maybe I'll do that one for the Red Scarf project. I'd call it gender-neutral, wouldn't you?

Anonymous said...

Wow! I love the scarf, well done Dave! This scarf is wonderful eye candy for a cable knitting addict (me).

LaurieM said...

I'm trying Dave! What the heck, aren't a scarf, a sock and a mitten pattern enough?! :-p

Really though, I had to force myself to finish 4 fish mittens and they dragged on, but 4 of your wash cloths were done in a week. You put something addictive in that pattern, didn't you.

Carrie said...

Talk about lovely! (You "lovely"-ed my scarf, if you are wondering what in tarnation I am talking about...) I love your ISE scarf. Cables are my new best friend. I used DB cashmerino aran as well, and read the news about the questionable content. But, as you said, it is a pleasure to knit with, so soft and cuddly. Next time I do the Backyard Leaves pattern I will choose a slightly stiffer yarn, if that makes any sense, though. The stitch definition is good, but it doesn't quite 'pop' like I would like!

I sure wish I had known about the Knitters Tea Swap! It looks like you made out like a bandit.

Jennifer said...

Beautiful scarf!

Anonymous said...

Lovely scarf, Dave. I love the reversable cables! I have done the Garterlac dishcloths and love them. The muggles can't figure out how they are made, but like receiving them, as they are a wonderful texture. I'm thinking about some garterlac placemats for the kitchen table. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous scarf Dave! I made a reversible scarf for my husband and he loves it (out of Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran). The DB yarn is beautiful, cashmere or no. Your swap receiver is a lucky knitter indeed.

Kirsten said...

Sorry, no time to design a new dish cloth. I'm too busy with Christmas knitting and Halloween costume sewing!
The scarf is glorious! Lucky recipient!!!

Nana Sadie said...

Just a scrumptious scarf! Dave you should make one in blue for you!
(((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

Verrah nice!

sgeddes said...

Very nice scarf - I know the recipient will be very pleased.

Anonymous said...

Just a stunning scarf for your pal! I love the look of the cables, and reversible too? Another amazing pattern brought to my attention--thanks Dave. :)

Anonymous said...

Great scarf! It's hard to beat reversible cables!

Not An Artist said...

What a lovely (and slightly unusual) rib pattern! Bonus for being reversible, very nice!

Deborah said...

am I feeling lucky??

Anonymous said...

Beautiful - a work of art. x

Alisha said...

Beautiful scarf!!!! I agree it is a work of art!

Stacey said...

That came out stunning - beautiful choice of cables!

Nik said...

I'm in love with the scarf myself. Must. get. pattern.

Anonymous said...

That scarf is breathtaking. Your pal is very, very lucky!

Mag said...

Is it not beautiful? Why, yes it is.
Good thing I can knit one myself, otherwise I'd be forced to covet.

Emily said...

I'm stunned. Nearly speechless. I would never have guessed this scarf would be mine. Thank you Dave. It's beautiful, amazing and wonderful. It is perfect. The color, the yarn, the pattern. Perfect. Thank you. I hope you receive a scarf that is equally wonderful and just what you wanted.

knitspot anne said...

hi dave!
i just got home from rhinebeck (fiber drunk and wontonly lurching in after all the other bloggers, thank you). the pictures of your cable-rib scarf are awesome! thanks for making such a nice show of it—yours looks beautiful! i recommend a tweed yarn for a change of pace—rowan felted tweed is a good weight for those cables.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave,

You are a funny guy.

An intervention, indeed. :-)

Ramona said...

Beautiful!

Kel said...

Beautiful work!

Greetings to Ottawa, it's been years since I've been there but I loved it!

Anonymous said...

The scarf is exquisite and I love it! No new dishcloth patterns yet, I'm buying up all the cotton yarn that I can find to make more garterlac dishcloths. i.d.d.a thanks for the placemat idea!

MissyJoon said...

Thw scarf is avsolutely dvine! Someone very luckys is going to be weariing it and looking fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Dave, YOU'RE IN!

Start building your helipad honey...

Love, Amethyst Wyvern x
(has a nice ring to it don't ya think?)

Wool Girl said...

The scarf is just lovely! Love the color also.

Paula said...

aI really like how your cabled scarf came out. It looks so soft.
I have seen a few now do the reverse cables. How is that done?

Anonymous said...

Lookie here, Dave ... a garterlac scarf, a beauty at that.

http://community.livejournal.com/knitting/7643141.html