Monday, May 21, 2007

ISE4 - Done!

It's been knit and purled, cat hair picked out of it, Eucalanized and blocked, and finally, after 510 cable crossings, the red cabled scarf is done!


What's that you say? You only see 205 255 (Ooops!) cable crossings? That would be because --



-- the other 205 255 are on the reverse side.

It's the Reversible Scarf from Melissa Leapman's Cables Untangled, 5 balls of Luxury Alpaca. My partner wanted a scarf that was at least five feet long, and after the first ball I had ... 11 inches. A quick trip the yarn store revealed that, since this was a gift and there was a deadline, no more of this yarn in this dye lot was to be had. Much gnashing of teeth ensued. In the end, it turned out to be just over six feet long. Thank you, stretchy alpaca and the magic of blocking!


Mods I made: The pattern calls for worsted weight alpaca, which I could not find, so I used DK weight. To make up the extra width, I added one pattern repeat.


Mods I wish I made: I should have added half a repeat. As it is, it's truly reversible; each side starts with a knit section and ends with a purl section. I think I would prefer to have either a knit section or a purl section on each side. You know, so each side is either framed with an inny or an outy. :-)


I enjoyed this project very much, and if I do say so myself, the alapaca feels absolutely wonderful. I'd love to make one for myself ... but not in red. That colour has been close to impossible to capture with my crappy camera. It's not scarlet, not pink, but red.





In the Other News Department, I've been tagged several times for the random things meme that has overtaken blog-land recently. Thanks for thinking of me, but I respectfully decline. I have one of these:


60 people had something to say:

Stacey said...

reversible cables are the best for scarves! you did a wonderful job!!!!

Monika said...

Now, why didn't I get one of those cards? I still don't play memes! Ha! The scarf looks nice, would use it myself, even in red! ;o)

Romi said...

Absolutely *gorgous*!

Anonymous said...

how great you were able to regroup after the first scarf pattern fiasco. i'm not a fan of red..but i think i could change that with this scarf...beautiful! never did cables before..and after seeing this i am inspired to try. the idea of reversible is what i like the most..well..and the innie/outie line.

Angie said...

Scarf is glorious, if all swap partners were like you, I'd "play" along.

Beth said...

Turned out gorgeous and the color is scrumptious. You can't beat a reversible scarf!

Annie said...

I like red ,too,but never tried any red projects before.Your beautiful red cable scarf inspires me to knit a red scarf for myself next time.

LaurieM said...

ROFLMAO!!!!

That's the best damned button I ever did see! Thanks for the laugh!

And oh yeah, nice scarf! Your button stole the show though. :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh, this is fantastic! I really like the color and the cables are gorgeous...all of them, every single one!

sheep#100 said...

I don't do the memes either.

Nice work on the scarf.

knottykitty said...

OMG-that's not a scarf, that's a masterpiece of cableness! Can you pass some of those mad skills over this way? That scarf is gorgeous--that's one lucky recipient. Love the GOMF card--lol!

CynCyn said...

a stunning scarf! i'm sure she'll just love it!

Anonymous said...

Your scarf is beautiful!

I love your GOOMFC! It's hilarious.

Anonymous said...

It is gorgeous! The idea of reversible cables on a scarf is genious!

auntiemichal said...

Such a handsome scarf! Great job, Dave. Thanks for the innie-outie giggle. I like the idea of symmetrical cables, too.

Anonymous said...

The scarf is just smashing! I might just have to make one and adopt your mods. Your *Get Out of Memes Free* card is hysterical! I will untag you on my blog later today.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful scarf. Love the card...is that yours? Can you start a group? LOL

Anonymous said...

I love the red cables of beauty. I really hope you enjoy your reversible scarf when it comes! Wink Wink;) I usually don't comment under anonymous but if I don't you'll know who I am and If you don't yet I don't want to give that up yet

Emma said...

Gorgeous job! Your partner is going to love it for sure.

Paula said...

So much cabley goodness! Your partner is going to love it. Very nice work indeed.

Julie said...

It turned out great! Makes me think I may need something soft and cabley for myself this winter. ;)

Unknown said...

It looks great Dave!!

Marlene said...

Love the cables, love the red too. You've done a mighty fine job. I think you're right about adding a half repeat if you ever make it again. It's lovely as it is, but would be better if it was balanced.

Not something to stay up nights stewing over though. Asymmetry is "in".

Anonymous said...

I hate to be a stickler but, as a "math happy" knitter, I feel compelled to note that 205+205 equals 410 cables, not 510...unless your not giving yourself enough credit whereby 205 should be 255!

In any case, 410 or 510 it's gorgeous!!!!! What a LUCKY pal!

Opal said...

Love the scarf and your get out of jail free button too! I got a nice chuckle out of it.

CelticCastOn said...

beautiful!

lexa said...

That scarf is absolutely gorgeous! Well done!

Love your card. :)

Pat said...

You have one lucky ISE4 partner - that is a heavenly red scarf!!

Kate said...

Love the Meme button - enough to ward off any '12 weird things about me' questions. I may borrow it if its OK with you?
I haven't got my scarf yet but I know that its not for me - lucky recipient.

Terby said...

Now that's a scarf. Simple, great color... now, if only you could feel the fabric through the internet. I want one now!

HPNY KNITS said...

it looks scrumptious! soft and wonderful. lucky pal! I adore alpaca and in this red- delicious.

melissa said...

that's a really lovely gift!

Diana said...

It's fabulous and a reversible cable scarf has got to be the best! The only thing usually bad about cables is the wrong side but with this ingenious pattern we can be really happy!

kathy b said...

Oh so Funny. I loved Meme.

Your scarf is brilliant. Just lovely. Great work. Does criminy know the 17 year cicadas are hatching tomorrow in Chicagoland?

turtlegirl76 said...

Finally! Mimi is given her day in the spotlight. ;^) Glad you like the button.

The scarf is gorgeous. I'd love to have a wrap done in that same style, perhaps a bit more transparent or lacey. The mind boggles as to the many ways a gorgeous pattern like that can be interpreted. I like the red a lot! The secret to good color balance is to have something white in the shot that you can use photoshop or MS Picture Manager to balance it for you.

goodkarma said...

I can imagine how soft, warm, and snuggly that alpaca will feel around the neck. What a beautiful gift!

Irie said...

beautiful.. congrats on finishing your scarf! i consider knitting scarves like running a marathon on a treadmill... the scenery never changes. but still, lovely... :)

Jennifer said...

What a gorgeous scarf! Your pal is sure to love it.

Charity said...

Excellent scarf! I think I like it better in DK anyway...

Anonymous said...

Such glorious red cables! Beautiful work Dave. Just beautiful.

Re memes: Oh go on Mr D, give us just ONE random thing. Live dangerously - show us your WILD side...

Btw, they're addictive y'know...

Debi said...

Lucky pal, the scarf is stunning!
Love the anti-meme card!

Nana Sadie said...

LOVE that scarf! And I gotta get one of those cards....
Where DID you find that?
(((Hugs)))

Teyani said...

LOL - love the get out of meme's free card!
That scarf is incredible. Love it. love it. love it.
there is just nothing like alpaca, is there. What a fabulous completion, Dave.

Knit Picking said...

I gotta get my hands on that patterns! Easier yet, get my hands on that wonderful scarf you made before it gets to the recipient LOL.

Anonymous said...

Oh, dude, where'd you score that card? I want.

The scarf looks great! And I'm sure you'll get even more length over time as it stretches with wear.

Whining Procrastinator said...

Even though I do not care for red (as my mother would phrase it), I love that scarf. Beautiful job!

And the Get Out of Memes Free Card is a HOOT!

Thanks for the smile!

Erin said...

Stunning. That is just so, so gorgeous. Well done!

earthchick said...

Awesome, gorgeous scarf! Love the Get Out of Memes Free Card. :)

Chelle said...

What a gorgeous scarf! Fabulous!

Virtuous said...

Lovely scarf!!! And my fav color is RED! :oD

Your name came up in a knit group last night and it seems that the garterlac dishcloths are EVERYWHERE! :oD I love them too!
I need to learn how to knit backwards soon!!

And how about I just stored the "Get of Memes" card too from one of my local knitter pals! Everyone is getting hit up! :op

I now need to add you to my fav knitter blog bookmarks now! Nice blog!

~Kristie said...

The last photo looks like you captured the "red" color perfectly. It's absolutely stunning and your partner is so lucky to be all wrapped up in handknit alpaca. YUM!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh! Very clever. May I also use this 'get out of memes free card?' I hate them.(see recent blog entry) I would be most grateful, link to your blog and everything! By the way, I love that scarf. Red is a good color, too. Not alot of red knitted items floating around, I've noticed.

ang

Wendy said...

Love the cables (but then I love cables anyway) - your pal should be well and truly gobsmacked to receive this.

Becky said...

That is an absolutely gorgeous scarf! You will make your swapper very happy.

Anonymous said...

The scarf looks great. I seldom make cabled scarves because I don't like how the wrong side looks. I'll have to check that pattern.

I recently used Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk for a scarf (80% alpaca, 20% silk, I think), and it is closer to a worsted weight. The yarn label calls it "Aran" weight. But it was soft and fuzzy with a wonderful sheen, and the colors are nice. If you can find it at an LYS, you can see if it will work for your scarf. I used it for the feather-and-fan scarf in Scarf Style, but I'm planning another with the skeins that are left as a garter stitch scarf done the "wide way"--hundreds of stitches for about ten rows.

marjorie (primetimeknitter.typepad.com)

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's really pretty. I love the red myself, but I can see where it wouldn't go with the FI cap you knit yourself ;)

I am stealing that card. In the interest of full disclosure.

Terri said...

Dave the scarf looks fantastic! Very luxurious and stunning in that beautiful red. Well done. :o)

Anonymous said...

I love my new scarf! I've adored that pattern but never thought I'd get around to knitting for myself.

I'm so excited-thank you for making this such a great experience.

And the yummy sock yarn? Delish!

WonderMike said...

Heh heh. I love your "Get Out of Memes Free Card". Perfect. And your scarves are quite spiffy, tooo.

Chan said...

What an absolutely gorgeous scarf!!