Sunday, May 27, 2007

SAM3 - May done!

Regia 4-ply Tweed in Colour No. 52.


It's totally smokin' in the Smokin' Socks pattern, designed by the amazingly creative Anne.



Knit as writ, in the 72-stitch version, except I put in a flap heel instead of a short-row, 'cause I wanted more of the pattern to show on the foot and when I do a short-row heel I have to use two-thirds of the stitches in order to make then fit. And also 'cause I'm sometimes ornery that way. The pattern could easily be adjusted to have the smoke rising in different directions on each foot, but I left them the same.

If I were the type to wax poetic, I'd go on and on about how the little tweedy bits float through the rising wafts ... I'll spare you that, though.

Except they are pretty darn cool.



Unstretched, on the right, the pattern just about looks like cables. On the blocker, on the left, it's a curling, spiralling rib that hugs the leg.



An easy-peasey pattern that I'm sure I'll do again. Thanks, Anne, for another great pattern!

In the Other News Department: From some of the comments in my last past, you'd think none of you had ever received a nail in the mail before.


Of course this was a special nail. Here's the flip side.


I'm just wondering what they replaced all the nails with ... Crazy Glue?

54 people had something to say:

Anonymous said...

Just dropped in for the first time- Sorry, I can't remember how I linked here. I enjoy your blog and have added you to my own fledgling list of "Other Knitting Blogs You Should visit". Hope you don't mind!

Anonymous said...

I figured it was so you could say you'd been nailed. But umm...Thomas Edison is good too.

The socks are wonderful! I love that pattern.

Acornbud said...

Those flecks are something to wax poetic about. I just hope Thomas A. Edison's home is not now a convenience store ;)

LotusKnits said...

I love the yarn in that pattern! They look great!

Marlene said...

The flecks remind me of sparks floating skyward on the smoke of a midnight campfire.

Sarah said...

Great socks! I think you picked the right yarn for the pattern -- I just love the tweedy flecks!

Anonymous said...

That is pretty darn cool! Love the tweedy bits and the color.

Anonymous said...

Great match of pattern and yarn! Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Those socks are amazing! The yarn and the pattern compliment each other very well! So very nice..

Karen said...

Wow, those are great. Yesterday my DH took me to a LYS, and he kept commenting on how much he liked all the tweedy yarns. I should get a pair like that on the needles for him! Thanks for the inspiration.

Pat said...

Very nice in the blue tweed! - and a beautiful stitch pattern...I need to go look through Anne's patterns again!

knitkim said...

Love the sock pattern. Sparks must fly from your needles...How do you get things done so fast?

Charity said...

I think this is a great yarn and pattern - very nice socks! (And the nail is great, too.)

Holly said...

Pretty cool socks and the nail too. Now, what are you going to do with the nail?

Not lighting up anything?

goodkarma said...

Love that tweedy yarn...

Carrie said...

LOL! Thanks for the explanation, although I liked the comment about getting nailed, too. I also love the sock pattern. I've been looking for a good pattern for the next pair of socks for the husband.

earthchick said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous socks.

Mari said...

I love those socks! The pattern looks really comfy. I have to try out that Regia tweed, it looks great.

Debi said...

I know how hard it is to find manly socks that aren't bor-ing! This are a winner! :)

lexa said...

I love the new socks! I really like tweeds, and the color blue you picked is so nice. It seems you always pick the perfect yarn/color/pattern combinations! :)

Beth said...

Really lovely socks. I like the spirally cabley look. The yarn is very nice also. I always like the tweed yarn when I see it but never buy it.

Dorene said...

You continue to awe me. The socks are simply amazing....

Jennifer said...

The socks are lovely!

Maybe they replaced the nails with staples?

limedragon :-: Harriet said...

Great socks, they're perfect. : )

Anonymous said...

Tweed is perfect for men's socks - they are indeed COOL!

Re the nail: O-kaaay!Now I get it.

Amy said...

Love the yarn and the socks! Nice work!

Teyani said...

gorgeous socks. I just love Anne's patterns!

Leslie said...

I love how the socks look!! I have to get my hands on that pattern! They look so comfy... Is that wool stratchy?

P.S. Thanks for reading my blog!

Anonymous said...

The socks are beautiful. Thanks for not waxing poetic.

Monika said...

Nice tweedy socks! I like to read Anne's blog, but have never bought a pattern from her. She's very productive! I was wondering about the nail too. Now I know! ;o)

Frieda said...

Great looking socks ; perfect yarn and pattern choice . Thanks for the link to Anne's patterns , found a couple I'd like to knit myself.

Carrie said...

Love the waftyness of this pattern! (And I love the Java colorway of the CTH yarn too - truly, madly, and yes, even deeply.) :)

knitspot anne said...

aw dave! them socks is definitely smokin'! they look fab. thanks for the link and the complimetns on the pattern. i like the heel flap modification; it fits right in with the rest of the sock. (sometimes i would rather do a heel flap, but choose a SR heel becasue of its smooth, unobtrusive look with other stitch textures, but yours looks great!)

Gingersnaps with Tea... said...

Those socks are smokin'! They make me think of when I was a cub leader and we'd sit around the campfire after dark with the wood popping and smoking and all the tiny embers rising up into the sky.

Marjorie said...

Your picture is worth a thousand words. I just love tweedy yarn. The socks look great.

Unknown said...

The socks look great Dave! The nail is cool.

Becka said...

Thanks so much for your kind words about my latest men's sock pattern!
I am LOVING your SAM 3 socks, love the yarn, love the design!
How cool is that...nail from TE?!

~Kristie said...

The combination of that yarn with the pattern is perfect. I'll have to add those to my Ravelry queue.

Paisley said...

The socks look great - I love the combination of the yarn and that pattern.

Erin said...

Two things I loved about this post:

1. The fabulous yarn made into fabulous socks.

2. Use of the word 'ornery'. It just isn't heard enough!

Stacey said...

the socks came out great - I love tweedy and cabley! Anee has the best patterns....

chemgrrl said...

...what's wrong with waxing poetic? ;)

Oh, dear. I'm tempted to challenge you to a bad poetry contest, but that could be disastrous for all involved.

The socks look great. I've been eyeing that one meself for awhile now.

Anonymous said...

I love the socks, the pattern is great, I may have to copy you (modifications and all!).

And indeed, not just any nail at all. Lucky you!

AuntieAnn said...

Lovely combo of yarn and socks! They stitch pattern looks a bit like the "slouch socks" from More Not Just Socks, only not slouchy of course. I made a pair a little bit like that last Xmas for a guy in the family. Not with such fab yarn, though.

Anonymous said...

Handsome socks! They probably replaced the nails with ShoeGoo.

Mag said...

I am most likely going to run out of adjectives to describe your beautiful socks before you run out of socks for me to appreciate. I suppose if you can keep coming up with such gems, I can get the English language to flex and bend for a turn or two of high praise. I could always dig up some Spanish and French, if I have to. ;-)
Another spectacular pair of socks. Well Done!

Laurin said...

Gorgeous! I am just now finishing my very first sock - just a plain vanilla sock using the Yarn Harlot's "recipe" from Knitty Gritty. Can't wait until I can progress to something as beautiful as this. And I love the flecks. Long live flecks and tweeds.

Nana Sadie said...

Love those socks! Gorgeous...
And THAT's why the nail..hmm?
lolol
(((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

Those are some terrific socks! Love the tweediness. :)

Anonymous said...

Those are the prettiest socks I've seen in a long time. Perfect yarn.

Ang

Terby said...

I would have waxed poetic about the tweedy bits. Those socks are just gorgeous.

Jennifer said...

I love the socks - a perfect combination of pattern and yarn. You should wax poetic about them!

Terri said...

Those socks look fantastic Dave - that yarn really is delicious. :o)

LivM said...

Great match of pattern and yarn!