Friday, June 20, 2008

Atomic


After knitting the Reversai socks, I wanted to try a garter stitch short row heel on a regular type sock. Since these ones just happened to be ready for a heel, they became my test.




Turns out that I can indeed wear a garter stitch short row heel knit over half the stitches, with one third of the heel left unworked. I'm a happy knitter.

The yarn is Socks that Rocks, Atomic #6, medium weight. I didn't enjoy knitting with this as much as I did the light weight. It felt kind of ropey and not as squishy. However, the socks are nice and thick and should be good for winter wear. I mis-judged the leg length for this type of heel, though, and the socks are a bit shorter than I would normally prefer, especially for a winter sock. There was lots of yarn left over, so next time I'll know better. Sorry for the dark pictures, but it's really grey out there today.


I got this yarn in a swap a year or two ago, and it's not colours I would normally gravitate towards, but I was glad for the chance to try out the yarn base. Although everyone else seems to be able to get pooling and zigging and zagging, I seem to continue my trend of spiraling stripes. Sigh.


That's the end of SAM 5. I haven't signed up for SAM 6, although I did for Summer of Socks. Although they won't count under the rules for Summer of Socks, I do have a few singles that need mates, so I'll I'll try to finished those this summer, as well as a few other projects that are either waiting or percolating.

It's funny how a change in season seems to renew the knitting agenda. I wonder if I'd get more done if we had six seasons instead of four.

28 people had something to say:

lexa said...

Very nice socks!

I have to finish a pair this month for SAM5. I have a pair on the needles, so they'll have to do. I've been in them all from the first one and have never missed a month.

Have a nice weekend!

Tara said...

I'm not sure if more seasons would lead to more knitting, but I know I'd have more WIPs. Each change in season makes me want to pick up something new, but not necessarily get anything finished.

Anonymous said...

Although everyone else seems to be able to get pooling and zigging and zagging, I seem to continue my trend of spiraling stripes.

That's really interesting to read, because the one think I dislike about STR is the pooling and zigging and zagging. I've ripped out the same sock four times now trying to get rid of the crazy pooling - and there you are, all wistful over your spiraling stripes. :D

Chelsea said...

Ooh, I love these Dave! These are so lovely. This colorway is gorgeous. I must go get some of my own, now. The colors are similar to ones that I've been purchasing lately. Very pretty! Er, I mean handsome. ;)

Anonymous said...

I think if we had six seasons, I would just fall further behind.

Your atomic socks look great. I love that color combination.

How is the garter stitch heel for comfort? Don't you "feel" the bumps?

Zonda said...

Gosh, love that colorway! My STR always pools...wish I knew the secret!

fleegle said...

Those are extremely elegant! I didn't much care for any of the STR yarn--like you, I found it more ropey than squishy. But their colorways are soooo beautiful and you certainly do them justice!

Jennifer said...

I like that colorway, and the subtle spiral you got. I can never sign up for the SAM thing there's just no way I could keep up with it.

Anonymous said...

I have that same colorway in my stash except in lightweight. I love knowing how it will knit up. So you like the garter stitch heel huh? Is it the feel of it, or to help with wear and tear?

Charity said...

I really like the spiral stripe action you have going there - and it's good to hear what you think of this heel, I've been wondering about it...

I agree with the season change thing - maybe we could invent a couple more of our own?

Anonymous said...

We have 4 seasons!? I thought it was just Winter and Lousy Sledding.

Anonymous said...

I'm just trying out my first afterthought heel, and trying to determine the right length seems to be tricky for this too. Your garter heels look great, and I really like the stripey spurts.

Romi said...

Oooh! I love the colorway!

Valerie Polichar said...

You must have JUST the right size ankles. Spiraling stripes rock!

turtlegirl76 said...

So wait - you didn't work this toe up ? No wonder you have leftovers. When am I going to convert you?

Love Atomic. Such a pretty color. Love how it turned out in such a simple stitch.

Emma said...

Very pretty socks--but in a masculine way.

My mom signed up for Summer of Socks--she's very excited. She went to bed last night and then got up at midnight to cast on!

Anonymous said...

Dave, I hadn't had occasion to skulk around your blog for a little while. Look at all the goodies I've been missing!! You always have the best sock patterns and pair them with great yarns and colourways. (also am loving all the multi-directional scarves ...)

The ornette sock(s?) is/are breathtaking! I love how the design wraps around the ankle and foot.

I have a couple of socks' worth of the Mega Boot Stretch (Wool Tyme sale!) so I was interested to read about the yarn. I just finished a pair of socks for Bill with the Regia Silk; luckily I didn't have any lint/fluff problems with the skeins I had.

We're on the countdown to the movers coming - hmm, let me see, 12 more days until we'll be moved into our new house and I'll have HIGH SPEED INTERNET!!! WOOT!

Lynn said...

And yet another pair of socks of yours that I love!!! Great job!

Briley said...

Great socks! I love the garter stitch heel, and will have to try that myself.

Knit - R - Done said...

I love short rows in garter stitch because I use backwards yarnovers and they do not show one bit in garter stitch. I must admit that it never even occured to me to use garter stitch on a heel.

Monkey see, monkey do. I need to try a pair.

Anonymous said...

I love the garter stitch heel. I only know how to knit one heel, and instead of learning something new, when I get to the heel of the sock I just think, "Oh well . . ." and knit on once again.

Opal said...

I think those spiraling strips are too cool. I wish I could manage some of my own.

Love the garter heels!

Marjorie said...

Those look terrific, and I like the way the spiraling stripes turn out. I've been hesitant to try the STR colorways with marked color changes because I was sure I'd get pooling. If I knew my socks would look like yours, I'd snap up a bunch of new colors.

I was such a newbie at sock knitting that I ended up with four skeins of STR medium before I even knew there were weights. The medium will make nice warm winter socks. I now know better and will stick to the lightweight. I just don't find the medium that practical (I have to get new shoes so I can wear the socks).

Anonymous said...

These look great. I would have shied away from the garter stitch heel, but it looks really nice.

Ang

Teyani said...

the socks look great -and the heel is so cool.
I think you're a brave one trying out new heel styles - I just tend to stick to my normal ol' slip stitch flap.
6 seasons sounds about right to me - are we taking a vote? I'm in.

Anonymous said...

Those are great socks! I like the garter stitch heels.

Nana Sadie said...

If I stick to 52 on my foot and 60 on the cuff? Lovely striping...one row or so each color...(I have a small foot) That's how I avoid the pooling, I guess!
;)
I ADORE the colors in Atomic 6 and I, too, much prefer the lightweight.

Did you have much staining of your fingers with this colorway? I did, but not with other colors of STR.
Go figure!
(Your socks are lovely, even if they're not your usual colors!)
(((Hugs)))

Anonymous said...

Pooling is a scourge. Why won't mine stripe? The socks look great and your garter heel is mastery.

Six seasons? I thought there was just summer and a couple of days of fog.